The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Lancaster for Physics insurance

Thinking of Birmingham firm (A*AA) and then Lancaster (AAA) or Bristol (A*AA but would be AAB with contextual offer) for insurance. Lancaster is much closer to home and smaller city whilst Bristol is very far but is a big city. What are your opinions of either university, city and physics department?
Original post by LUCY1402
Thinking of Birmingham firm (A*AA) and then Lancaster (AAA) or Bristol (A*AA but would be AAB with contextual offer) for insurance. Lancaster is much closer to home and smaller city whilst Bristol is very far but is a big city. What are your opinions of either university, city and physics department?

What guarantees for accommodation do they offer for insurance students?

Also incase you didn't know Lancaster offer pretty big scholarships if you get really good A-Level grades

I don’t know much about Lancaster but Bristol seems really good, I was there yesterday for an open day and they’ve done a lot of improvements and got new building and labs for a lots of the science subjects over the last few years and they look amazing, I spent most of my time in the biological science and geology buildings but they generally have some of the best in research using their facilities and teaching there, the campus is really spread out and mixed in with the city, have you been to any open days? It really helped me figure out where I wanted to go and Bristol is definitely my firm choice
Reply 4
Original post by isiaiah d
Also incase you didn't know Lancaster offer pretty big scholarships if you get really good A-Level grades

But then if I got A*AA or higher I would go to Birmingham
But then if I got A*AA or higher I would go to Birmingham

ahh ok - unless you decide you want to go to lancaster for the financial aid.
Reply 6
Original post by HobbinsE
I don’t know much about Lancaster but Bristol seems really good, I was there yesterday for an open day and they’ve done a lot of improvements and got new building and labs for a lots of the science subjects over the last few years and they look amazing, I spent most of my time in the biological science and geology buildings but they generally have some of the best in research using their facilities and teaching there, the campus is really spread out and mixed in with the city, have you been to any open days? It really helped me figure out where I wanted to go and Bristol is definitely my firm choice

Yeah I've been to open days at both. I loved the physics department and campus at Bristol, however I don't know if I'd rather not be in the middle of a big city as I live in a small town. Lancaster uni is about 2 miles from the smaller city but has a few shops on campus. All first year accommodation is so close to the campus whereas in Bristol some are quite far. Did you visit the stoke's bishop accommodation in Bristol yesterday? I didn't have time to go when I went there
Yeah I've been to open days at both. I loved the physics department and campus at Bristol, however I don't know if I'd rather not be in the middle of a big city as I live in a small town. Lancaster uni is about 2 miles from the smaller city but has a few shops on campus. All first year accommodation is so close to the campus whereas in Bristol some are quite far. Did you visit the stoke's bishop accommodation in Bristol yesterday? I didn't have time to go when I went there

I didn’t manage to get to see any accommodation my mum struggled with walking due to the hills and uneven pathways

Bristol is the strongest of those three departments by a margin. Just because the city is large, doesn't mean you have to travel all over it, you can completely ignore parts of it - what's the worry there? The countryside is even larger, does that stop you going for a walk in the country? The University is reasonably compact, though some accommodation is in a different area to the study space.
Reply 9
I didn’t manage to get to see any accommodation my mum struggled with walking due to the hills and uneven pathways

Ok no problem. I thought the Clifton accommodation was nice (old but fairly big rooms). Goldney hall had a massive garden which is unusual! These were about 10 mins walk to city centre, would definitely recommend these although I think they may be more expensive. However I didn't like the accommodation in the city centre as the rooms and corridors were quite small and stuffy.
Ok no problem. I thought the Clifton accommodation was nice (old but fairly big rooms). Goldney hall had a massive garden which is unusual! These were about 10 mins walk to city centre, would definitely recommend these although I think they may be more expensive. However I didn't like the accommodation in the city centre as the rooms and corridors were quite small and stuffy.

Yeah I wouldn’t go for accommodation in the city centre I’d prefer somewhere a bit quieter, thanks for the recommendation I’ll check them out on the website
Reply 11
Yeah I wouldn’t go for accommodation in the city centre I’d prefer somewhere a bit quieter, thanks for the recommendation I’ll check them out on the website

Also I didn't go to the stoke's bishop halls but they said they are in a quieter area about a 10 min bus ride/ 40 min walk from campus. They're near the sports pitches as well.

Hi Lucy,

I am Rebecca, a Student Ambassador at Lancaster University where I study Marketing Management.

Although I am not on the same degree as you intend to study, I can share my experience on life at Lancaster University. I have absolutely loved my first year and feel very lucky to be studying at a Top 10 University. As I am sure you are aware from attending the Open Day it is a very vibrant campus. There is always lots going on thanks to the 8 undergraduate colleges we have, creating lovely communities. I have also particularly enjoyed getting involved in societies and living on campus where I shared a flat with 8 people, one of which studies physics!

There are fantastic transport links which is something to consider if you want to pop home and with Lancaster University being about a 10 minute bus ride into the City you can make the most of all of the bars, restaurants, clubs and shops there too! The University even offers a free bus to Sainsbury's on Wednesdays and buses into the City Centre at night if you fancy an evening in Sugarhouse, a club ran by Lancaster University Student's Union. As each college has their own social space there are always activities happening on campus too from quizzes to sports.

If you have any questions about Lancaster University in general then please get in touch and for any specific physics questions I would recommend emailing [email protected].

Good luck with your studies,

Rebecca :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending