The Student Room Group

how to get alcohol at uni

hi! I'm starting uni next week, I'm an 18 year old girl and I've never drank alcohol before. furthermore, I've never been around alcohol before either - I'm brown and for cultural reasons no one in my family drinks. I don't even know the names of alcohol or anything related TO alcohol. however, I would really like to try alcohol at university. the only problem is that my parents keep a track of all of my money and they would thus find out if I spent money on alcohol, and they would kill me! is there any way this could be worked around? thanks
1. Withdraw cash from cash point
2. Go to shop.
Original post by Anonymous
hi! I'm starting uni next week, I'm an 18 year old girl and I've never drank alcohol before. furthermore, I've never been around alcohol before either - I'm brown and for cultural reasons no one in my family drinks. I don't even know the names of alcohol or anything related TO alcohol. however, I would really like to try alcohol at university. the only problem is that my parents keep a track of all of my money and they would thus find out if I spent money on alcohol, and they would kill me! is there any way this could be worked around? thanks

You're an adult so they shouldn't be tracking your money. Can you do something about it to stop that?

And as above, use cash.
Reply 3
Point at the spirits shelf behind the counter and say "One of everything, please!"
Reply 4
Sponge some off yer mates.
Reply 5
thanks for the replies so far guys. think this is definitely where the cultural differences come in and why I'm so terrified for university. it's impossible for a lot of brown kids w strict parents to withdraw money and be rebellious like that. turning 18 and going to uni means nothing in terms of being treated like an adult by your parents
How can they track the money? If you use a card it just says £X and the shop. No indications of what was purchased.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're an adult so they shouldn't be tracking your money. Can you do something about it to stop that?

And as above, use cash.

thanks for the replies so far guys. think this is definitely where the cultural differences come in and why I'm so terrified for university. it's impossible for a lot of brown kids w strict parents to withdraw money and be rebellious like that. turning 18 and going to uni means nothing in terms of being treated like an adult by your parents

Usually I'd advise telling your parents to f off and stop looking at your money, but you probably rely significantly on them for funds and therefore have no choice but to toe the line.
Reply 8
Just add a bottle of whatever you want to try to your shopping at Sainbury's, Tesco, etc. The payment by card will appear on your statement, but purchases will not, so just don't keep the receipt. If you go to bars or anything, just take out some cash and use that. Just say you need cash in hand for buses (if you aren't in London) or taxis, or to budget and only spend a certain amount a week, although withdrawing cash shouldn't be suspicious at all.

You are an adult and just because your parents can't accept it doesn't change it.

How do they track your money? Do they have access to your account?

Firstly, withdraw all your money and put it in another bank account, maybe a student one that has an overdraft. You are an adult, they shouldn't be controlling your money.

If you haven't drunk before, I would say try something sweet, VK/WKD/Smirnoff ice. Or Vodka and Coke. Just pace yourself and don't go mad straight away. You won't have been drunk before and your body won't be used to it.
thanks for the replies so far guys. think this is definitely where the cultural differences come in and why I'm so terrified for university. it's impossible for a lot of brown kids w strict parents to withdraw money

Do they literally keep hold of your card or something? Stroll up to a cashpoint, get some out. Tell them you spent it on a combination of food and books/stationary.

Bank statements reveal absolutely nothing other than the shop you booped the card at, but by withdrawing you remove even the shop name from it and can spend at leisure and claim it was on literally anything. Best material for weaving tales of deceit at leisure.

Is there any possibility of telling them to just sod off and mind their own or will that lead to repercussions beyond them just being angry for a week or two?
Withdrawing money isn't being rebellious. Unless they're funding you, they shouldn't have a day in your money. I know there's a cultural difference, but this sounds like financial abuse. They're controlling you and that's not OK. Just buy some in cash, and don't bring it up, and stop letting them track your money.
i do plan on creating a new bank account at uni which my parents don't know about. and i feel silly for not having a secret fund of money saved up overtime to spend whilst at uni.

my parents can track my money because, simply, my mum asks me to show her my bank statements, and she knows how much is in my account because a lot of the money in my bank account has been gifted to me by my parents - i AM financially dependent on them. and so it would be disrespectful of me to not show them my bank statements - it doesn't matter if I'm an adult, it would still be morally incorrect to deny my parents to see how, essentially, their money has been spent. that's also why I don't want to lie to my parents - sure, I could withdraw money. they'd still want to know what it's been spent on. i live in catered accommodation and they have been very nice and bought me EVERYTHING i need for uni, so i have nothing to even tell them. and I wouldn't want to lie either because that's not nice and it's disrespectful, i can't tell them about going clubbing or drinking - itd break their hearts and make them question themselves as parents, and it's something they will NEVER understand as they have been raised their entire lives thinking differently. of course at the same time I don't want to miss out on uni life, especially not during freshers. but i can't just pull the whole "I'm 18, I'll do whatever I want" thing. that's not how it works and to assume that it's possible in this situation feels quite ethnocentric - maybe it would work in other people's households, but it won't work in mine.

i know it sounds bad but really I just want to experience what alcohol and partying is like, and I don't think I would have much care for it outside of freshers. does anyone think it'd be possible to even come across nice flatmates who wouldn't mind me taking a couple shots w them, without having my own alcohol to share, if i simply tell them I've never been drunk before?
i do plan on creating a new bank account at uni which my parents don't know about. and i feel silly for not having a secret fund of money saved up overtime to spend whilst at uni.

my parents can track my money because, simply, my mum asks me to show her my bank statements, and she knows how much is in my account because a lot of the money in my bank account has been gifted to me by my parents - i AM financially dependent on them. and so it would be disrespectful of me to not show them my bank statements - it doesn't matter if I'm an adult, it would still be morally incorrect to deny my parents to see how, essentially, their money has been spent. that's also why I don't want to lie to my parents - sure, I could withdraw money. they'd still want to know what it's been spent on. i live in catered accommodation and they have been very nice and bought me EVERYTHING i need for uni, so i have nothing to even tell them. and I wouldn't want to lie either because that's not nice and it's disrespectful, i can't tell them about going clubbing or drinking - itd break their hearts and make them question themselves as parents, and it's something they will NEVER understand as they have been raised their entire lives thinking differently. of course at the same time I don't want to miss out on uni life, especially not during freshers. but i can't just pull the whole "I'm 18, I'll do whatever I want" thing. that's not how it works and to assume that it's possible in this situation feels quite ethnocentric - maybe it would work in other people's households, but it won't work in mine.

i know it sounds bad but really I just want to experience what alcohol and partying is like, and I don't think I would have much care for it outside of freshers. does anyone think it'd be possible to even come across nice flatmates who wouldn't mind me taking a couple shots w them, without having my own alcohol to share, if i simply tell them I've never been drunk before?

Just tell your parents that you are spending the money on food.

A lot of students plump out a bit when they go to university, so it's an easy deception to maintain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending