The Student Room Group

What can I do to boost my application for Psychology?

I don't think I'm good enough to get into a sutton trust or summer school program but I was wondering what else I could do to pad my personal statement and get a better look at Psychology at university.
bump
Reply 2
Hi, I'm a year 13 student applying for Psychology this year. What I've done is focused my personal statement on further reading about the subject. I also talked about being in Young Enterprise and being the house captain in my school, if you have any extracurricular options in school do them. If you want any other advise just let me know and I'll do my best :smile:.
Original post by T.J.A
Hi, I'm a year 13 student applying for Psychology this year. What I've done is focused my personal statement on further reading about the subject. I also talked about being in Young Enterprise and being the house captain in my school, if you have any extracurricular options in school do them. If you want any other advise just let me know and I'll do my best :smile:.

Hello, can you recommend any books for me to read? In terms of books I read way too much Maths and the closest I've got to a Psychology book is Notes on a Nervous Planet.
Original post by T.J.A

Also what is Young Enterprise?
Reply 5
Original post by AmLostPlsHelp
Hello, can you recommend any books for me to read? In terms of books I read way too much Maths and the closest I've got to a Psychology book is Notes on a Nervous Planet.

I read "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" it's a unique book that focuses on strange case studies a doctor has seen throughout his career as a neurologist. You could also look generally into different fields of psychology such as developmental psychology.
Reply 6
Also what is Young Enterprise?

It's an extracurricular event that some schools offer, your sixth form may not offer it. There are plenty of other things you can do to show skills such as volunteering.
Original post by T.J.A
It's an extracurricular event that some schools offer, your sixth form may not offer it. There are plenty of other things you can do to show skills such as volunteering.

Yeah I've actually got a fair amount of volunteering (near 100 hours at a mental health clinic) and I'm Dep. Head Boy at my school but I've been in the role since June and I haven't really done anything useful with the role so far. Is there any reason why I should add that? (Also I'm resitting Y12 just to avoid any confusion)
Reply 8
Yeah I've actually got a fair amount of volunteering (near 100 hours at a mental health clinic) and I'm Dep. Head Boy at my school but I've been in the role since June and I haven't really done anything useful with the role so far. Is there any reason why I should add that? (Also I'm resitting Y12 just to avoid any confusion)

When I talked about my role it was in relation to things like teamwork, time management and independent work, so if you can work that in it will be worth it. Also, those volunteering hours will make your application very strong I feel, as long as you can reflect on what you've learned from it of course. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what universities you want to apply to?
Original post by T.J.A
When I talked about my role it was in relation to things like teamwork, time management and independent work, so if you can work that in it will be worth it. Also, those volunteering hours will make your application very strong I feel, as long as you can reflect on what you've learned from it of course. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what universities you want to apply to?

Well prior to failling my AS-Levels (U(Maths)U(Bio)B(Psych) I was predicted AAA which set my hopes on a place like UCL or Bath as my top. I don't have the GCSE's for Oxbridge but idk if they'd even consider me with me resitting the year. With my current mocks I'm once again at AAA with with EngLit instead of Bio which might weaken my application again.
(edited 5 years ago)

You do not need to do anything else, unless it's Oxford or Cambridge.
Books to read: The Lucifer effect, The time paradox, The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence.
Too many books to list, there is a few.
Original post by random_matt
You do not need to do anything else, unless it's Oxford or Cambridge.
Books to read: The Lucifer effect, The time paradox, The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence.
Too many books to list, there is a few.

Just cause I'm curious. What would I have to do for Oxford in terms of Extra-curriculars?
Just cause I'm curious. What would I have to do for Oxford in terms of Extra-curriculars?

Hell knows, but you don't need to do any for just about every university, you are worrying about nothing.
Maybe consider some work experience.
My best advice would be to look at personal statements for your course so that you can see the things other students have done.
Hell knows, but you don't need to do any for just about every university, you are worrying about nothing.

I'm just recovering my from my results I guess. I was scoring A's all year in Mocks and that inflated my self-esteem to 4000 but once I got my results I got that ripped away in a split second and I got denied from taking the other subject I wanted to fast-track which is fine because my grades weren't up to scratch but I'm just at a low in my life I guess.
I'm just recovering my from my results I guess. I was scoring A's all year in Mocks and that inflated my self-esteem to 4000 but once I got my results I got that ripped away in a split second and I got denied from taking the other subject I wanted to fast-track which is fine because my grades weren't up to scratch but I'm just at a low in my life I guess.

What were your results?
What were your results?

UUB, but I couldn't take the subject I got a B @ a2 as it clashed with Maths

Quick Reply

Latest