The Student Room Group

Evil ex left me in £10.5k DEBT and CIFAS marker!!!

Met this guy last year who seemed lovely and caring and I was very happy. Little did I know that he was an evil, heartless, horrible, demonic, inhuman fraudster using me for his criminal activities. He used to say that his phone was broken or getting fixed or had run out of data so I would let him use my phone. Then, it got to the point that he got tired of asking me to open the lock screen for him and demanded that I add his fingerprint to my touch ID. I didn't feel comfortable so said no and he was raging, accusing me of cheating and hiding it from him, so I caved in (I hate myself everyday for it so please, do not be too hard on me. I know that I was so so so so stupid). After that bust up he was fine, our relationship continued on as normal and he didn't do anything to make me concerned.

Now I received a phone call from what I believed to be my bank HSBC saying that they needed to update the system and confirm my security and log on details with them so that my details could remain, the "agent" sounded like an actual bank agent and I shared my details without even thinking that it could be a scam. Again, I hate myself everyday for this. I don't know how I fell for this because I have always spotted fake phishing texts and emails from imposters, words fail me but it really did genuinely sound like a real rep from the bank. One day before a lecture I was called by the real HSBC to say that my bank account was frozen and I would have to come into the bank. I went and to my horror I was taken into a meeting room where I was shown a copy of a cheque of the amount £9500 was paid into my account with my signature on it!! The signature was obviously forged, but I was immensely confused.

I blame my idiotic self for not checking my online banking regularly as I had not even seen this at all and would have called them straight away! Not just that, but the money from the cheque had now been sent to two random people's bank accounts!!! The whole thing is just unbelievable. I had the utmost confidence that HSBC would solve the situation and catch these vile fraudsters, and thankfully had some cash to live off from whilst my account was inaccessible. My ex comforted me as I cried on his shoulders, and then within days he just disappeared!! I got a dumping text that "things aren't working out", then that was it! His phone would go straight to voicemail (even when I called from a friend's phone), his facebook account gone, I could not get a hold of him, or his friend! I couldn't understand why he had randomly just broken up with me when things were good between us, and then pieces started falling together. I contacted the police, who referred me to Action Fraud and I filed a report (later said they could not help due to insufficient evidence).

Come 6 weeks later, my HSBC account got closed down, the fraudulent cheque was returned and they demanded I pay them £10.5k!! (The amount of the cheque and my student overdraft). I thought I was dreaming and have never been in such shock, it was the worst day of my life. I made numerous trips back and forth to the branch who were useless and multiple phone calls pleading!! HSBC continued to harrass me with collection letters, I made a complaint and in the final response was told that my digital secure key had been used for the therefore they believed I authorised the transactions myself. Clearly, the ******* POS had used my touch ID to make these transfers!!!!!!!!! I have now opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman and thEy have hundreds of bad reviews of how they are biased, side with the banks even if the consumer was in the right and the banks were in the wrong, and their cases where they believe the victim was negligent they reject. This whole situation has ruined my life, my depression and anxiety has grown severe, I struggle to sleep, I don't eat well and have lost lots of weight, I cry practically every night.

Please does anybody know what I can do? I have so much hatred for my ex with every single bone in my body but I also hate myself for being so stupid, for allowing myself to fall for his fake charms and falling for the fake phone call, letting him use my phone! I never once imagined that all of this would happen. You would never think he was capable of such things. It's a living nightmare and a painful tortorous hell I would not wish on my worst enemy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Met this guy last year who seemed lovely and caring and I was very happy. Little did I know that he was an evil, heartless, horrible, demonic, inhuman fraudster using me for his criminal activities. He used to say that his phone was broken or getting fixed or had run out of data so I would let him use my phone. Then, it got to the point that he got tired of asking me to open the lock screen for him and demanded that I add his fingerprint to my touch ID. I didn't feel comfortable so said no and he was raging, accusing me of cheating and hiding it from him, so I caved in (I hate myself everyday for it so please, do not be too hard on me. I know that I was so so so so stupid). After that bust up he was fine, our relationship continued on as normal and he didn't do anything to make me concerned.

Now I received a phone call from what I believed to be my bank HSBC saying that they needed to update the system and confirm my security and log on details with them so that my details could remain, the "agent" sounded like an actual bank agent and I shared my details without even thinking that it could be a scam. Again, I hate myself everyday for this. I don't know how I fell for this because I have always spotted fake phishing texts and emails from imposters, words fail me but it really did genuinely sound like a real rep from the bank. One day before a lecture I was called by the real HSBC to say that my bank account was frozen and I would have to come into the bank. I went and to my horror I was taken into a meeting room where I was shown a copy of a cheque of the amount £9500 was paid into my account with my signature on it!! The signature was obviously forged, but I was immensely confused.

I blame my idiotic self for not checking my online banking regularly as I had not even seen this at all and would have called them straight away! Not just that, but the money from the cheque had now been sent to two random people's bank accounts!!! The whole thing is just unbelievable. I had the utmost confidence that HSBC would solve the situation and catch these vile fraudsters, and thankfully had some cash to live off from whilst my account was inaccessible. My ex comforted me as I cried on his shoulders, and then within days he just disappeared!! I got a dumping text that "things aren't working out", then that was it! His phone would go straight to voicemail (even when I called from a friend's phone), his facebook account gone, I could not get a hold of him, or his friend! I couldn't understand why he had randomly just broken up with me when things were good between us, and then pieces started falling together. I contacted the police, who referred me to Action Fraud and I filed a report (later said they could not help due to insufficient evidence).

Come 6 weeks later, my HSBC account got closed down, the fraudulent cheque was returned and they demanded I pay them £10.5k!! (The amount of the cheque and my student overdraft). I thought I was dreaming and have never been in such shock, it was the worst day of my life. I made numerous trips back and forth to the branch who were useless and multiple phone calls pleading!! HSBC continued to harrass me with collection letters, I made a complaint and in the final response was told that my digital secure key had been used for the therefore they believed I authorised the transactions myself. Clearly, the ******* POS had used my touch ID to make these transfers!!!!!!!!! I have now opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman and thEy have hundreds of bad reviews of how they are biased, side with the banks even if the consumer was in the right and the banks were in the wrong, and their cases where they believe the victim was negligent they reject. This whole situation has ruined my life, my depression and anxiety has grown severe, I struggle to sleep, I don't eat well and have lost lots of weight, I cry practically every night.

Please does anybody know what I can do? I have so much hatred for my ex with every single bone in my body but I also hate myself for being so stupid, for allowing myself to fall for his fake charms and falling for the fake phone call, letting him use my phone! I never once imagined that all of this would happen. You would never think he was capable of such things. It's a living nightmare and a painful tortorous hell I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Go to your bank explain the fraud, also go to police, he can go down to courts. Also they may rule he is liable for it and take it off your name and put it on him..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending