The Student Room Group

Is my teacher bullying me?

So I’m into my second year of a level sociology and I’ve really struggled with it and get bad grades in every assessment. However alongside this, I feel like my teacher is bullying me. She always picks on me in class and if I say “I don’t know” she will keep picking at me expecting to magically come up with an answer and I have anxiety about getting picked on in class and if I don’t know the answer I go so red and feel like I’m about to cry because I can tell people are looking at me. Today we did our Friday exam questions and she offered to read through some people’s work so they put their hand up for help , I didn’t and she came over anyway and wanted to look at my work and put my marks down. I have spoken to class mates and they have noticed it too and think that she dislikes me as well. I feel so stressed after every sociology lesson and with her behaving like this doesn’t make me wanna prove her wrong, it makes me feel worse and i feel like I should give up. Thoughts??
Original post by Macy457
So I’m into my second year of a level sociology and I’ve really struggled with it and get bad grades in every assessment. However alongside this, I feel like my teacher is bullying me. She always picks on me in class and if I say “I don’t know” she will keep picking at me expecting to magically come up with an answer and I have anxiety about getting picked on in class and if I don’t know the answer I go so red and feel like I’m about to cry because I can tell people are looking at me. Today we did our Friday exam questions and she offered to read through some people’s work so they put their hand up for help , I didn’t and she came over anyway and wanted to look at my work and put my marks down. I have spoken to class mates and they have noticed it too and think that she dislikes me as well. I feel so stressed after every sociology lesson and with her behaving like this doesn’t make me wanna prove her wrong, it makes me feel worse and i feel like I should give up. Thoughts??

Go to your head of year or your tutor
Original post by Howie_2114
Go to your head of year or your tutor

Why?

Original post by Macy457

Please remember that your teacher is human, like we all are. Have you tried talking to her and telling her how you feel? She'd probably be horrified that she's made you feel this way, and will be more than happy to work with you to make you feel much more comfortable in your learning.

Just speak to her, without any attitude, and try to ignore the inevitable replies of 'get her sacked/make a formal complaint/see the head'. Try approaching it in a sensible, adult way and I think you'll find you get a good response and a resolution. :smile:
Are the school aware of your anxiety issues? If not, then it is unfair for you to expect them to make allowances for it. They may just think you're uninterested in learning or participating.

All teachers wish to actively encourage you to do well, and if they see you sitting at the back of the class clutching your answers, they probably just want to make sure you're doing okay - particularly if you're someone who struggles with the subject.

Bullying is a strong word, and it's impossible to say what your teacher's intentions are, but speak to her about it, or send her an email if you can't do this. If she knows your situation, she will be able to handle it better.

If she continues to make you feel umcomfortable then that's another matter, but at present I honestly don't think she knows enough about your situation to decide upon the best way to behave.
Reply 4
I'm going to play Devils advocate here. Are you sure you aren't bad at sociology and are just looking for someone else to blame? If you regularly don't know the answer when picked on, this would suggest you are.

I had a teacher who used to pick on me all the time - it became a bit of a class joke. The best way to deal with this is to read ahead and prepare yourself before the lesson.
Looool if that was me i would confront them directly
Reply 6
(Original post by Geek5)I'm going to play Devils advocate here. Are you sure you aren't bad at sociology and are just looking for someone else to blame? If you regularly don't know the answer when picked on, this would suggest you are.

I had a teacher who used to pick on me all the time - it became a bit of a class joke. The best way to deal with this is to read ahead and prepare yourself before the lesson.

No I am genuinely **** at it, I find it so boring and struggle to write in essays and because I don’t enjoy it I feel less motivated

Quick Reply

Latest