The Student Room Group

What grades do I need for a 1st?

Hey,

The second year is weighted in 1:2 ratio compared to the third year.

My second year grades are all worth 30 credits and I got the following marks:

In the final year I will have a total of 5 subjects
- 30 credits
- 30 credits
- 30 credits
- 15 credits
- 15 credits

Is it possible to get a 1st with the 1:2 ratio? If so, what grades should I be getting? Thanks!
Original post by rivoli
Hey,

The second year is weighted in 1:2 ratio compared to the third year.

My second year grades are all worth 30 credits and I got the following marks:

In the final year I will have a total of 5 subjects
- 30 credits
- 30 credits
- 30 credits
- 15 credits
- 15 credits

Is it possible to get a 1st with the 1:2 ratio? If so, what grades should I be getting? Thanks!

1. Yes.
2. Average 73.25 by my reckoning.
3. There may be other was that reduce the grade required as sometimes rules say you can discard scores or pick your best x number of credits. Youd need to read your uni rules.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
1. Yes.
2. Average 73.25 by my reckoning.
3. There may be other was that reduce the grade required as sometimes rules say you can discard scores or pick your best x number of credits. Youd need to read your uni rules.

Thanks for your reply. Wow 73.25 seems a bit too ambitious :biggrin:
Original post by rivoli
Thanks for your reply. Wow 73.25 seems a bit too ambitious :biggrin:

If the rules of assessment are different then they can make it easier. they sometimes allow you to cherry pick the best scores.

As it is the target score for a first would be 69.5 [ most unis round up] and you would need to make up for half the shortfall of your second year in the third year. i.e you need to score a first in the third year plus make up for the marks you lost in second year.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
If the rules of assessment are different then they can make it easier. they sometimes allow you to cherry pick the best scores.

As it is the target score for a first would be 69.5 [ most unis round up] and you would need to make up for half the shortfall of your second year in the third year. i.e you need to score a first in the third year plus make up for the marks you lost in second year.

I found the following:

Your degree classification will be considered for raising into the next class if:

your final average falls 2% or less below one of the classification boundaries given above and

marks from the equivalent of four half final year courses are in or above the higher class.

Candidates who satisfy the above criteria shall be raised automatically into the next class.

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by rivoli
I found the following:

Your degree classification will be considered for raising into the next class if:

your final average falls 2% or less below one of the classification boundaries given above and

marks from the equivalent of four half final year courses are in or above the higher class.

Candidates who satisfy the above criteria shall be raised automatically into the next class.

That makes it significantly easier. You would only need 70.5 in your final year to average 68, ie the point at which this new method comes into play. You would then need firsts in 'the equivalent of four half final year courses' (whatever that means) to come out with a first overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending