The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Final Grading?

I am studying Philosophy and Psychological Studies through the open uni. I'm about to start my second Level 2 module (i'm studying part-time) and I've tried to find some info on what achieves a 1st, 2:1 etc but there seems to be a lot of conflicting numbers.

I passed both my Level 1 modules, but I don't think these count toward my final grade. I then got a Pass 2 on the first Level 2 module (73%) and wanted to know if it's still possible to achieve a 1st if I can get a distinction on the second Level 2 module and then both Level 3's? All my modules have been 60 credits.

I have read from some places that it's an average of 85% across Level 2 and Level 3 modules, but also read you need distinctions on both Level 2 modules to even get close. Does anyone have any experience with the grading as the OU document 'Working out your Class of Honours' was confusing!

TIA :smile:
Original post by levanisa01
I am studying Philosophy and Psychological Studies through the open uni. I'm about to start my second Level 2 module (i'm studying part-time) and I've tried to find some info on what achieves a 1st, 2:1 etc but there seems to be a lot of conflicting numbers.

I've attached an OU specific classification calculator I found through Reddit which may be useful. Hope this helps :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Doesn't seem to be attaching, have tried again
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Doesn't seem to be attaching, have tried again

Hi, thankyou so much! Is there any way you can link it instead as I can't see an attachment? :smile:
Hi, thankyou so much! Is there any way you can link it instead as I can't see an attachment? :smile:

Apologies, TSR is being very finicky so I'm going to attempt to explain the maths in words instead

Level 2 modules are single weighted towards your honours grade and level 3 modules are double weighted. Depending on your grades, you get a specific number of weighted grade credit (WGC) points.

Level 1 modules don't count so don't worry about those grades.

Level 2 modules
For your L2 modules, the WGC calculation is 60 (credits) * (grade achieved)
A grade 2 for your first L2 module would give you a WGC score of 120 points

Level 3 modules
For your L3 modules, the WGC calculation is 60 (credits) * (grade achieved) = x * 2
So a grade 2 on level 3 would give you a WGC score of 240 points

Then you add up all your WGC scores from L2 & L3.

Honours grade thresholds:
630 points or less = 1st
631 to 900 points = 2.1
901 to 1170 points = 2.2
1171 to 1440 points = 3rd

There's also a borderline threshold. If you're within the 59 points threshold for a 1st (between 631 and 690 points), you can get a 1st if you manage to achieve a grade 1 for one of your L3 modules. If your points are more than 690 but less than 901 then you'll get a 2:1. So basically the less points you've achieved, the higher your final grade will be.
Reply 5
Apologies, TSR is being very finicky so I'm going to attempt to explain the maths in words instead

Level 2 modules are single weighted towards your honours grade and level 3 modules are double weighted. Depending on your grades, you get a specific number of weighted grade credit (WGC) points.

Level 1 modules don't count so don't worry about those grades.

Level 2 modules
For your L2 modules, the WGC calculation is 60 (credits) * (grade achieved)
A grade 2 for your first L2 module would give you a WGC score of 120 points

Level 3 modules
For your L3 modules, the WGC calculation is 60 (credits) * (grade achieved) = x * 2
So a grade 2 on level 3 would give you a WGC score of 240 points

Then you add up all your WGC scores from L2 & L3.

Honours grade thresholds:
630 points or less = 1st
631 to 900 points = 2.1
901 to 1170 points = 2.2
1171 to 1440 points = 3rd

There's also a borderline threshold. If you're within the 59 points threshold for a 1st (between 631 and 690 points), you can get a 1st if you manage to achieve a grade 1 for one of your L3 modules. If your points are more than 690 but less than 901 then you'll get a 2:1. So basically the less points you've achieved, the higher your final grade will be.

This is absolutely perfect, thankyou so much for taking the time to explain for me! Have a fab day :smile:
x

I've calculated what you need to get a 1st

The grades below would give you 600 points and meet the borderline threshold criteria, have a think about which L3 module you're more likely to achieve a distinction in. :smile: (you only need one distinction because your modules are 60 credits)

Level 2: Pass 2, Pass 2
Level 3: Distinction, Pass 2
Reply 7
I've calculated what you need to get a 1st

The grades below would give you 600 points and meet the borderline threshold criteria, have a think about which L3 module you're more likely to achieve a distinction in. :smile: (you only need one distinction because your modules are 60 credits)

Level 2: Pass 2, Pass 2
Level 3: Distinction, Pass 2

Oh this is incredible, thankyou so much! Puts my mind at rest a little bit as was worried I had messed up my chances already.

Thanks again for taking the time, means a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest