The Student Room Group

China’s persecution of Muslims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45474279

“In August 2018, a UN human rights committee was told there were credible reports that China had "turned the Uighur autonomous region into something that resembles a massive internment camp". About a million people may have been detained, the committee was told.

The reports are backed by rights groups, with Human Rights Watch saying people with relatives in 26 so-called "sensitive" countries like Indonesia, Kazakhstan and Turkey have been rounded up.

Anyone who has contacted someone abroad via WhatsApp is also targeted, according to HRW.

Rights groups also say people in camps are made to learn Mandarin Chinese, swear loyalty to President Xi Jinping, and criticise or renounce their faith.”

China is severely persecuting Muslims and I’m glad to see that this is finally getting significant mainstream media coverage.

Scroll to see replies

This is terrible, I hope the Islamic community stands up for these people.
Original post by akbar0123

China persecute everybody who live there why do thing so many rich Chinese students never go back to China. When I was in America I meant so many Chinese students who would never go back to China.
Nothing will be done because law isn't real, it's just power under the hands of the pretentious
Reply 4

Why doesn't the Islamic community take as strong a stance against fellow Muslims carrying out acts of violence as they do against Muslims being "persecuted"
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by e^iπ
Why doesn't the Islamic community take as strong a stance against fellow Muslims carrying out acts of violence as they do against Muslims being "persecuted"

I’m not a representative of the Islamic community, not sure why you’re asking me. I’m just one person.
Reply 6
This is ideological and probably rooted back to the civil war, it’s a shame Muslim countries won’t use their oil as leverage for their own people to force change
Original post by looloo2134
China persecute everybody who live there why do thing so many rich Chinese students never go back to China. When I was in America I meant so many Chinese students who would never go back to China.

Yeah exactly, China’s government is trying to strengthen their power over their people and by doing this they’re just forcing talent out of their country.
Original post by e^iπ
Your views are definitely representative of the Muslim community. You leech if the UKs resources while trying to make the UK more Islamic. You want the best if both worlds.

Lol ok then, thanks for telling me, I had no idea I was “leeching resources” and making the UK “more Islamic” (not even sure how I could probably be doing that but thanks anyway)
Reply 9
Lol ok then, thanks for telling me, I had no idea I was “leeching resources” and making the UK “more Islamic” (not even sure how I could probably be doing that but thanks anyway)

By "you" I was referring to most muslims
Reply 10
Original post by e^iπ
Your views are definitely representative of the Muslim community. You leech if the UKs resources while trying to make the UK more Islamic. You want the best if both worlds.

Hi, this is tsr not stormfront, please keep your Islamophobia where it belongs!
Original post by e^iπ
By "you" I was referring to most muslims

Ah, I see, so you’re just an Islamophobe then, thank you for your clarification.
Reply 12
Original post by 44park

OK thanks for stemming my scepticosm of Islam, we wouldn't want to provoke them now would be, or else they might "peacefully" protest...
I guess China didn't appreciate the rampant terrorism/knife attacks...
Original post by 44park

Many on TSR seems like they would side with China here...
its a chicken/egg situation at this point..

China hardens down on a minority who wants indipendance..
minority resent the tougher aproach, and fight back..
China sees them fighting back, and toughens the aproach further
minority resents the tougher aproach and fights back
China sees them fighting back and toughens the aproach further
repeat repeat repeat

Neither side is innocent. China can afford to be far harder than nother nations can, because its goverment are not democratically accountable. (although the han majority would support their actions anyway) - and the muslims, who went on a racist rampage a few years back and salughterred 200+ han chinese indvidiauls in one night... are hardly innocent either.

---

In the end its just one of the many indipendance struggles that are happening all around the world.
Uighur wants its indipendance, and will kill to get it. China doesn't want to let it become indipendant, and will kill to keep it.
One really really important thing to mention though, that gets overlooked - is:

Their persecution and conflict with the Chinese goverment has NOTHING to do with them being muslim.

It is entirely to do with indipendance and seperatism.

Proof?

China has the exact same struggles with the Bhudist majority in Tibet.. the Muslim majority in Uighur... and is severly tough on christianity throughout China, except when its liscenced by the state.

China is equally tough on all religions, and all seperatist movements - from hong kong to tibet to Uighur.. nothing in this case is specifically due to them being muslims.

Any form of seperatism of threat to the unity of china is cracked down upon with equal and harsh force. You may not approve of it, but don't make it about islamaphobia/muslims, when that doesnt reflect the political reality at all. (and especially does a great diservice to the bhudists and christians facing the same challanges)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by 44park
Islamophobia - dislike of Islam, especially as a political force - (OED).

Why does such a position "not belong on TSR"? Do you think that "support of Islam" likewise does not belong here and should be confined to sites like IslamicAwakening?

(Any discrimination against or oppression of Muslims simply because of their religion is unacceptable and should be opposed)
Original post by fallen_acorns
One really really important thing to mention though, that gets overlooked - is:

Their persecution and conflict with the Chinese goverment has NOTHING to do with them being muslim.

It is entirely to do with indipendance and seperatism.

Proof?

China has the exact same struggles with the Bhudist majority in Tibet.. the Muslim majority in Uighur... and is severly tough on christianity throughout China, except when its liscenced by the state.

China is equally tough on all religions, and all seperatist movements - from hong kong to tibet to Uighur.. nothing in this case is specifically due to them being muslims.

Any form of seperatism of threat to the unity of china is cracked down upon with equal and harsh force. You may not approve of it, but don't make it about islamaphobia/muslims, when that doesnt reflect the political reality at all. (and especially does a great diservice to the bhudists and christians facing the same challanges)

Your post is contradictory, if as you say it is to do with independence why mention the persecution of Christians? Where exactly are Christians in China preaching independence?
Has nobody explains to the Chinese that diversity is there strength? 🤔

Latest

Trending

Trending