The Student Room Group

LAW or PSYCHOLOGY for university?

I'm 17 and an A level student. I have to decide between which course I want to take soon: law or psychology. Personally, I'm leaning more towards law but I'm starting to feel psych would be better. Here are some things to take into consideration

- I'm a woman and I'm from Pakistan.I'm unsure of moving, but practicing law in Pakistan as a woman is INCREDIBLY difficult. The best option would be corporate law but I'm mostly eyeing Human Rights Law or Criminal defense so that's a no go.

- I have book smarts, a good work ethic, and verbal/written skills but I lack awareness when it comes to understanding dynamics..? This is hard to phrase but I suppose it means I lack street smarts? And I understand things like networking and being aware of how to get what you want from people are important in law. I'm a little socially stunted, a bit too outspoken.

- I am very close to my aunt who is a psychologist and I think she could help me if I were to pick psychology, which could be pretty valuable when it comes to doing internships and getting advice.

- This may sound a bit too idealistic but one of my major motivations is to choose a career where I can directly help people. Of course, I know the whole 'help yourself before you help others' thing. But it is very important to me to choose a field where I'll be able to support myself and still obtain a skill that could help others [too bad pain and blood grosses me out too much to go into a medical field, haha]

But at the end of the day, Law is a lot more appealing to me personally. Psychology is tempting if I'm being realistic though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending