The Student Room Group

Advice second-year student in US applying to RIBA Part 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a 20-year old, Finnish-American university student in the US, currently in my second year at a small, liberal arts college. I'm in a program for Philosophy and Maths, and though I enjoy them both, I'm now realizing that ignoring my lifetime love for architecture may not have been the best idea after all. The time I most look forward to in the day is towards late evening, when I have free time to explore architecture and make art. Basically, what this comes down to is that I have decided to take spring term off of my studies (not dropping out), and see if i could get accepted into an architecture school in Europe. Obviously, being half-Finnish and with my family living in Finland, I am planning on applying to Aalto Uni and perhaps a few other schools there, but I would also like to see if I can get into a program in the UK.

I guess I am wondering if there is anyone on this site who has ever decided to apply to an architecture course on short notice (meaning, 3-4 months before the deadline) not having a tremendous amount of artistic exploration outside of filling up sketchbooks and having not taken any prior art classes in school. If there are such individuals out there, what advice might you have for me about the process? If not, for any of those who are currently in architecture course in the UK, what was your artistic journey like up until applying for a course? Did it take years to develop a style that you eventually showcased to universities, and what elements of your story did you include in your portfolio? Any general advice?

I realize this may potentially come across as vague in some ways so I am happy to clarify any points or provide further background.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending