The Student Room Group

Starting new job advice & experiences

I start a new job this week and I’m really scared and nervous. I don’t know what to expect and the company is a huge company. I feel intimidated by this as there will be people who have worked there for years and I feel they might look down on me for being new and the youngest. From what I’ve read the people there are really nice but I’m scared that they might not be to me. I’m scared I might mess up and not know what to do. For example not knowing where to go for lunch or when to have lunch. Not knowing what time I should leave and having to ask someone who then will laugh at me. I know I’m overreacting but having anxiety doesn’t help. I’m worried I might not enjoy the job. There are also other people my age joining at the same time but I’m worried I won’t make friends or that they won’t like me either. Has anyone started a new job and felt like this, but been okay afterwards? I really would love reassurance. Thanks in advance
Original post by Anonymous
I start a new job this week and I’m really scared and nervous. I don’t know what to expect and the company is a huge company. I feel intimidated by this as there will be people who have worked there for years and I feel they might look down on me for being new and the youngest. From what I’ve read the people there are really nice but I’m scared that they might not be to me. I’m scared I might mess up and not know what to do. For example not knowing where to go for lunch or when to have lunch. Not knowing what time I should leave and having to ask someone who then will laugh at me. I know I’m overreacting but having anxiety doesn’t help. I’m worried I might not enjoy the job. There are also other people my age joining at the same time but I’m worried I won’t make friends or that they won’t like me either. Has anyone started a new job and felt like this, but been okay afterwards? I really would love reassurance. Thanks in advance

Relax - everyone feels a bit like this before they start a new job. No-one really expects new employees to know anything, and if things don't get pointed out to you then don't be afraid to ask. With other people starting at the same time there will be a few of you to ask questions, and if you're thinking of a question then other people will be too. Is this your first job? Listen to what's being pointed out to you, ask if you don't understand, make notes if you need to, and don't worry because everyone is in the same boat. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest