The Student Room Group

Worried about starting university?

Here are some things I have learnt in my first year to hopefully ease your nerves:

1. You will make friends. There are so many different ways to meet new friends at university; from societies, flatmates and course mates to the people you meet on nights out or at a part time job. You will meet so many different people you are sure to find your people.

2. If you don't like your course, thats ok. Worst case scenario, you always have the choice to change your course entirely. However, the likelihood is there will be a few modules that you don't enjoy and others that you love. This is likely to be the case for any course you take and is an common experience. As you progress through your degree, in many cases, there are opportunities to choose some of the modules you study, tailoring your course to fit what you are interested in.

3. Loneliness is common, but you don't have to feel isolated. Despite being surrounded by people, uni life can feel lonely, especially when you are first making friends. As you become close with people this will pass, and it's important to remember this is a normal way to feel and you are not alone. If you are struggling with this and want help, your university will have a wellbeing service with professionals to give advice. The best way I found to combat loneliness is to get involved with as much as possible, and therefore meeting lots of people who may become your closest friends.

I hope this helps ease some nerves, if you have any other concerns or questions feel free to reply to this post!
Faye ◡̈
Reply 1
Hello Faye

What are you studying? What societies did you join? And do you have any advice for someone who is worried about the usefulness of their degree?

Thanks
:heart::sheep::heart:
Original post by Andi.0k
Hello Faye

What are you studying? What societies did you join? And do you have any advice for someone who is worried about the usefulness of their degree?

Thanks
:heart::sheep::heart:

Hi!
I am studying English Language and Linguistics and am a part of the Christian Union and the dance society. My advice for this situation would be to remember that many employers are looking for candidates who have degree level education and do not necessarily mind what this degree is. There are some obvious exceptions, if you want to be a doctor you need to study medicine, but on the whole the demonstration that you can study and learn at degree level is what employers are looking for in job candidates. So generally, no matter what your degree is, it will be useful in helping you gain job opportunities.

Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
You will always have a mix of emotions when starting anything new. University can seem like a massive step in life and I worried about whether I would be able to complete the work, find my way around campus and if I would make any new friends. Before beginning university, I researched loads about the course and the campus I was going to. I joined the universities Facebook Group to meet others who would be beginning at the same time as me. I went to open days and applicant days so I could get a feel for the campus so it wasn't unfamiliar before I began.
Once you begin university make sure you look into all of the things the university has to offer to maximise your experience. Find out about study skills help and any support you may need. Look out for where the student union is based, looking into the activities and experiences they have to offer. If you are staying in accommodation look and see if there are any activities going on in the evenings so you spend time with other students.
University is a unique experience for everyone and how you approach it. Just remember your future goals and enjoy as university is a great experience.

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending