The Student Room Group

unmotivated

since I have sent off my ucas application I have been feeling so unmotivated to do work. I have two exams next week and I haven't even started revision to do and coursework to write. any tips? I keep getting distracted with m phone and Netflix and everything in my room.
Original post by cgugar
since I have sent off my ucas application I have been feeling so unmotivated to do work. I have two exams next week and I haven't even started revision to do and coursework to write. any tips? I keep getting distracted with m phone and Netflix and everything in my room.

Go to the local/university library and study? Cafe? Bookshop (I saw a lot of people studying at Waterstones this year)?

How about studying downstairs instead i.e. out of your bedroom?
From now, start work as soon as you get home from school. DO NOT go on your phone when you get home - start work 'immediately' after you eat. Set a reasonable time that you want to finish. What time do you start getting distracted? Example - 10.00PM ? Then stop working at 10pm, go on your phone for a bit (lets say 30 minutes), then get to bed. Nothing can beat the feeling of acheivement and productivity.
Set tasks. Don't set timed tasks. Don't set timetables. At least for me, I never stick to them. Just say, I'm going to do 2 pages/1 topic/ 1 section of my homework/revision. That way you feel less burdened and less like it is WORK and more like something 'fun' you will complete. BE REALISTIC when doing this. Say, ok today i'm going to do 2 sections today or 2 topics. Complete them, and because you were realistic you should be able to. Little chunks everyday makes all the difference.
Any more questions please ask on this thread. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Go to the local/university library and study? Cafe? Bookshop (I saw a lot of people studying at Waterstones this year)?

How about studying downstairs instead i.e. out of your bedroom?

whenever i want to go library my friends usually want to go so I can never get work done

also my house is v loud, so the only “quiet” place is my bedroom
Reply 4
Original post by yotsr123
From now, start work as soon as you get home from school. DO NOT go on your phone when you get home - start work 'immediately' after you eat. Set a reasonable time that you want to finish. What time do you start getting distracted? Example - 10.00PM ? Then stop working at 10pm, go on your phone for a bit (lets say 30 minutes), then get to bed. Nothing can beat the feeling of acheivement and productivity.
Set tasks. Don't set timed tasks. Don't set timetables. At least for me, I never stick to them. Just say, I'm going to do 2 pages/1 topic/ 1 section of my homework/revision. That way you feel less burdened and less like it is WORK and more like something 'fun' you will complete. BE REALISTIC when doing this. Say, ok today i'm going to do 2 sections today or 2 topics. Complete them, and because you were realistic you should be able to. Little chunks everyday makes all the difference.
Any more questions please ask on this thread. :smile:

right now it’s half term and I quit my job to do more revision and work and it’s not really working atm. yesterday after I ate my lunch I got distracted and did no work for the rest of the day and today I woke up at 9:20 which is kinda late for me and bc of that I couldn’t be bothered to work. I do to do lists which worked but now I get distracted from Netflix. I know I want to achieve well and do amazingly in my a levels and this year I have a lot at stake as I need to do well for the universities I’ve picked (Cambridge being one of them). My exams next week for Cambridge too and i haven’t even revised even though I want to do well. Idk why I’ve become so lazy
Hi there,
Why not sandwhich Netflix in then?
For example,
Say you have a favourite show on Netflix that runs for about 30 minutes each episode. And you also have a goal to revise 2 pages of your Physics textbook and 2 pages of your Chemistry textbook.
Make a to do list that says:
1 page of Physics
30 minutes of show
1 page of Physics
30 minutes of show
1 pages of Chemistry
30 minutes of show
1 page of Chemistry
30 minutes of show

Don't start watching your show, though! Always start with work, then show, then work, then the show....
That way you're not feeling deprived of your show but you're also getting work done. Part of feeling lazy is that you think of work and you're like, 'Ugh, tomorrow, Netflix is really good right now' but if you sandwhich that in to your schedule you won't feel lazy.
Reply 6
Original post by cgugar
whenever i want to go library my friends usually want to go so I can never get work done

also my house is v loud, so the only “quiet” place is my bedroom

Aren't people meant to be quiet in a library...? And couldn't you just not tell them you're going there?
Reply 7
Original post by yotsr123
Hi there,
Why not sandwhich Netflix in then?
For example,
Say you have a favourite show on Netflix that runs for about 30 minutes each episode. And you also have a goal to revise 2 pages of your Physics textbook and 2 pages of your Chemistry textbook.
Make a to do list that says:
1 page of Physics
30 minutes of show
1 page of Physics
30 minutes of show
1 pages of Chemistry
30 minutes of show
1 page of Chemistry
30 minutes of show

Don't start watching your show, though! Always start with work, then show, then work, then the show....
That way you're not feeling deprived of your show but you're also getting work done. Part of feeling lazy is that you think of work and you're like, 'Ugh, tomorrow, Netflix is really good right now' but if you sandwhich that in to your schedule you won't feel lazy.

that’s a good idea !! I might try that thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest