The Student Room Group

When should I apply for masters?

Hi

I'm currently in my third year studying psychology and planning to apply uni for studying statistics in the Netherlands and in England.

My mark from second year was 59% and the uni that I really wanna study requires at least 2.1 with related module > 61%(GPA3.3).
I'm sure I can get 2.1 in my final results but the problem is my mark with related module is currently 56%.
I am trying to cover it with some related research assistant experience, good enough reference(can get one good, one average) and SOP
The application deadline is 1st April.

I have two options,
1. Apply as soon as possible, before the Christmas holiday with current mark because the earlier probably be the better.
2. Apply after the first exam in January, with better mark (there will be exam on statistics module) so it would be almost the end of January.

Could anyone tell me which is the best way for me?
Original post by Kym91
Hi

I'm currently in my third year studying psychology and planning to apply uni for studying statistics in the Netherlands and in England.

My mark from second year was 59% and the uni that I really wanna study requires at least 2.1 with related module > 61%(GPA3.3).
I'm sure I can get 2.1 in my final results but the problem is my mark with related module is currently 56%.
I am trying to cover it with some related research assistant experience, good enough reference(can get one good, one average) and SOP
The application deadline is 1st April.

I have two options,
1. Apply as soon as possible, before the Christmas holiday with current mark because the earlier probably be the better.
2. Apply after the first exam in January, with better mark (there will be exam on statistics module) so it would be almost the end of January.

Could anyone tell me which is the best way for me?

If the deadline is April 1st there's no benefit in applying earlier so wait till you have more grades.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
If the deadline is April 1st there's no benefit in applying earlier so wait till you have more grades.

Some people say it the earlier you apply, the more you'll have chance to get an offer but I guess you're right.
Original post by Kym91
Some people say it the earlier you apply, the more you'll have chance to get an offer but I guess you're right.

Not really. They will look at and consider your application regardless of the time you send it off.
Original post by Kym91

Nope. Not unless it’s rolling admissions which it isn’t as there’s a deadline.
Hi @Kym91,

We generally encourage students to apply as early as possible, as some popular courses tend to fill up. It could be worth getting in touch with the course leader or the international office (if you're applying as an international student) to check the requirements with them.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with your application.

Have a great day!
Nonie
Remember your offer will most likely be conditional on you achieving certain grades/marks. Mine was on achieving a 2:1

What I would say though is fully explore your funding options because you only get the post graduate loan for taught MA's and you have to pay the fees out of this as well. Many uni's and departments offer various bursaries e.g. to underrepresented groups or scholarships and these have deadlines. Some offer fee reductions to alumni . Make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open as to the financial implications as I know people who had offers but had to turn them down because they simple could not afford to go.
I sent my application off 2 days ago (so nervous) and I emailed the uni to ask if it's better to send it off now or wait until January to get more results and they said to just send it off now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending