The Student Room Group

Looking for advice

Hi everyone,

Feel quite unsure and was wondering maybe someone could give me some advice. Not very sure if such lengthy messages are apporpriate here but just feel i have nobody to discuss it with really. I came accross to this website yesterday and spent all day to read thru these various forums about RBS.

I am doing degree in business at the moment and the final exams will take place soon.
Looking for a job as left my previous post (nothing fancy) for a diffrent job. Went thru the recruitment process and got the job (the whole thing took 4 months:frown:). Unfortunately left the job after one day as realised that the role wasn't made clear enough for me and skill questions completely did not match with the skills required to perform the role. Additionally, i could see no way to progess and develop new skills as the job seemed even less responsible than the previous post. In fact, was even concerned that i might become lazy as there was nothing much to do.
Now, i am left with no job and feel pretty rubbish.

I decided to try my luck with RBS and apply for face-to-face customer service person/cashier role ( nothing else was available and i also know it is one of the lowest posts) but after reading various forums' topics in this site, got confused. Does anybody know if there are possibilites for some promotion even starting from face-to-face customer post or i shouldnt bother or maybe it is better to lok for some graduate programmes (although, i havent graduated yet)?

And, i have filled out the application form online already, now it says to call for the application to progress.
Does it mean i will have the telephone interview already or there will be the date appointed? ( would be handy to know as i would like to prepare myself a bit, -not the most confident person)

Sorry for this long message.

Thank you for your help.
Reply 1
I would always advise you to prepare. If it is a quick phone call then no harm done, but if they want to ask you questions then fair enough. Recruiters often call to filter people down, to ensure that the person is not wholly inappropriate for the role. I would suggest you prepare to be asked why you are looking for the position, the soonest you would be available to start, and the skill sets you have you feel will match the position advertised.

In addition I would write down the questions which are most appropriate to you about the job. Not a whole flood as that would be more appropriate at the face to face interview. However, it will give an indication that you are intelligent and articulate. Have a pad by the phone. Maybe come back to some of the points they have made earlier about the role. And just remember they probably have in front of them what you have written on the application form.

It is sometimes easier on the phone, as they cannot see any outward signs of nervousness. And if you get to the face to face stage, once you get past the initial butterflies you will be fine.

Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending