The Student Room Group

Army Reserves at University

I am thinking of applying to universities in London soon, and am also thinking about applying to join the Army Reserves. Particularly, 4 PARA.

Has anybody joined the reserves whilst at university? Is it a viable option? I am aware that there is the UOTC but I'm looking for a bit more of a challenge, and I plan to continue in the reserves after university.
Reply 1
Original post by bigben8
I am thinking of applying to universities in London soon, and am also thinking about applying to join the Army Reserves. Particularly, 4 PARA.

Has anybody joined the reserves whilst at university? Is it a viable option? I am aware that there is the UOTC but I'm looking for a bit more of a challenge, and I plan to continue in the reserves after university.

I'm a cadet Sgt in the ACF and I know a couple of lads on my courses who were at uni. They were infanteers in the local reserves and they said the commitment is a huge challenge but it's worth it. 4 PARA, if you aren't aware, is an "Elite" unit with completely different and rigorous requirements. You cannot miss 1 or 2 weekends without getting delayed a year, and it will take around 18 months to get your marron beret and finish the para course. A much better choice is a standard army reserve infantry unit; where it's much more flexible and you're still cutting about in the uniform. There are other units in London that are challenging like the HAC also. I suggest you join a standard unit first then look at your options. If you drop out of PARA training you will have no badge, but if you're normal infantry first at least you can go back to being a class 3 soldier. I'm in your boat; OTC is shocking according to people I've spoken to and I'm joining the reserves instead. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions! Remember also that infantry is not the only trade! Signals, intelligence, artillery are also options!
Reply 2
Some Royal Artillery regiments (289 commando troop and 266 GVA off the top of my head) allow you to go for commando courses to become an Army Commando also. That's another good way because if you fail the incredibly demanding course, you're still a soldier in the regiment.
Reply 3
Original post by bigben8

Join the OTC. It's designed to work around your course and to prioritise your studies, which is what you should be doing.

Worry about 'more of a challenge' later.
I joined my local reserve infantry unit and I’m really enjoying it, a lot of the lads came over from UOTC and say the reserves are so much better. Getting my basic training done around uni isn’t proving too difficult, I’ve had to do a bit of catching up but the uni have been very understanding when it comes to deadlines and stuff.

I would say you should really shop around the regiments a bit more, particularly in London where you’ve got loads to choose from. I grew up wanting to be a para too but after visiting some units and doing my research, I actually much prefer the ethos of my current regiment (The Rifles) and am really looking forward to getting all my training done and getting stuck into it properly!
(edited 5 years ago)
Atm I'm at uni and I have found it so far easy to fit round my studies, I do 20 hours of placement and 10 hours of lectures a week plus play as part of a hockey team. I attend my local unit drill nights on a Tuesday evening (which i have an option to attend or not) and basic training is fitted into when I am available

Quick Reply

Latest