The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aingidh
I don’t NEED Biology (drama/musical theatre is my intended route), but I really just wanted a science qualification at N5 level as it’s a good thing to have.

Don't be disheartened if the exam didn't go as well as you hoped! You can still get some great grades, and you can't know for definite what grade you got until the results come out. Hope the rest of your exams go well :smile:
I don't take biology, but what's with all the commotion with the papers? I've heard that it was more like a mathematics examination which sounds unlawfully unfair, hope it doesn't throw you guys off.
Original post by Strelzo
I don't take biology, but what's with all the commotion with the papers? I've heard that it was more like a mathematics examination which sounds unlawfully unfair, hope it doesn't throw you guys off.

yeah it was full of experimental questions, unit 2 was barely in it, and it was nothing like any past papers. a lot of problem solving
Original post by rashford10
yeah it was full of experimental questions, unit 2 was barely in it, and it was nothing like any past papers. a lot of problem solving

Sounds horrible, but that's the SQA for you, making every student's life a living hell.
just means it was good. haha
Original post by cmiller03_
Right this may be stupid but what is the term “solid” meant when people on twitter are saying “oh the biology exam was solid”
wasn't that bad :dontknow:
Original post by Strelzo
I think I got 23/25 for section 1. How many marks would I need to get in section 2 to get an A?
If my calculations are correct then it would be roughly between 45-50 (depending on boundaries but it is usually about 70%), but your assignment can bring your mark up/down. The paper was out of 100 marks and the assignment is out of 20, not sure how the marks are scaled
Original post by Umar_Qadri
I think I got 23/25 for section 1. How many marks would I need to get in section 2 to get an A?
Original post by Valeriex
If my calculations are correct then it would be roughly between 45-50 (depending on boundaries but it is usually about 70%), but your assignment can bring your mark up/down. The paper was out of 100 marks and the assignment is out of 20, not sure how the marks are scaled

Last year the minimum mark in total for an A was 88/120
Original post by Valeriex

Scaling for nat 5 bio is that the assignment is scaled up to be out of 25, giving a total of 125 marks :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Scaling for nat 5 bio is that the assignment is scaled up to be out of 25, giving a total of 125 marks :smile:

25? I thought it was 20? Can you explain why it's 25 now?
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/BiologyN5CAT.pdf

:smile:
Original post by The_RobDob

It gets marked out of 20 but then it gets scaled up to be out of 25, making the assignment worth 25/125 marks (or 20% of your final grade).
Original post by Labrador99
It gets marked out of 20 but then it gets scaled up to be out of 25, making the assignment worth 25/125 marks (or 20% of your final grade).

Ah okay, I though the SQA just randomly increased the assignment by 5 marks
Ah okay, I though the SQA just randomly increased the assignment by 5 marks

No problem :smile:
Has anyone got the 2019 sqa National 5 Biolgy answers?
oh ok thanks everyone.
Any chance somebody has managed to get a hold of section 2 paper/answers? I know I’ve asked like five times but I can’t help but stress lol.
Original post by Rebecca:)02
Has anyone got the 2019 sqa National 5 Biolgy answers?

The answers that people have compiled so far are over in the Unofficial Marking Scheme thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending