The Student Room Group

Cleaning Teeth

Hi Folks,

Hope you are well.

Might seem a silly question for advice, but i am really struggling falling asleep without cleaning my teeth at night. I live with my parents and i work alot of hours, which adds to the tiredness at the end of the day. I worry if i do not solve this i will have alot of cavities in later life.

I have my tea and then go into my bedroom and i am exhausted. I end up just falling asleep on my bed. I have tried exercising to stay awake, setting an alarm, splashing my face with water, turning the lights up in my room, nothing seems to work sadly. I have even tried a small amount of caffeine but i still cannot overcome this tiredness at the end of the night.

If anyone could give me any advice i would be forever grateful. Thank you again for your time and your support. Thanks all.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey
Don't go to your bedroom without brushing your teeth.
Set an alarm on your phone just before you start drinking your tea so if you do fall asleep after you drink you tea the alarm will wake you and then you can brush your teeth then.
Why not go straight into the bathroom before you go to your room?
Put up sticky notes on your bedroom door or somewhere you’ll definitely look at when walking into your room, this may help remind you... and then hopefully will become a good habit before bed :smile:
Hey,

Thank you for all your replies, they are very useful.

The problem i have is usually my parents are either sat on the sofa or busy cleaning dishes in the kitchen. So i usually go to my room in the evening, as there is no where else to relax. I sit not on my bed, but on a chair, usually i have a cup of tea and some biscuits. I get so exhausted and end up just jumping into bed, it is really bad evening fatigue. How should i try and have a better schedule, is there any techniques to try and keep slightly more alert in the evening please?

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey
It is normal to be tired. There isn't really a solution to that. What you need to work on is the self-restraint not to get into bed without brushing your teeth first.
Reply 7
Original post by jeffreyman777
Hey,

Thank you for all your replies, they are very useful.

The problem i have is usually my parents are either sat on the sofa or busy cleaning dishes in the kitchen. So i usually go to my room in the evening, as there is no where else to relax. I sit not on my bed, but on a chair, usually i have a cup of tea and some biscuits. I get so exhausted and end up just jumping into bed, it is really bad evening fatigue. How should i try and have a better schedule, is there any techniques to try and keep slightly more alert in the evening please?

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey

As far as the brushing teeth goes I would just go brush your teeth before going to your room and skip the tea and buscuits.
As far as the tiredness goes it really depends on how much you are doing. If you have a full day of work, dinner and are then so tired you need to sleep that sounds pretty normal to me.
If you do feel like you are getting too tired too soon then I would start by a quick trip to your GP. They can have a chat with you do some bloods if need be and get a bit of an idea of what's going on. A very common cause of tiredness is vitamin deficiency. That's a quick blood test and some suppliments to sort out.

Honestly though from what you've said it sounds like you've just used all your energy working and need sleep. Doesn't sound like you necessarily have any less energy than you should.
That is obviously kinda hard to gauge from this perspective though so you need to judge stuff.

The biggest thing is routine. If you get into a routine of brushing your teeth before going to your room or once you have eaten your biscuit or whatever then that will stick. It takes a little while to build a routine and that will take some effort on your part like maybe alarms, not letting yourself get into bed, etc. Eventually though your body should get used to it and naturally follow that pattern.
Hi Folks,

Hope you are well.

Might seem a silly question for advice, but i am really struggling falling asleep without cleaning my teeth at night. I live with my parents and i work alot of hours, which adds to the tiredness at the end of the day. I worry if i do not solve this i will have alot of cavities in later life.

I have my tea and then go into my bedroom and i am exhausted. I end up just falling asleep on my bed. I have tried exercising to stay awake, setting an alarm, splashing my face with water, turning the lights up in my room, nothing seems to work sadly. I have even tried a small amount of caffeine but i still cannot overcome this tiredness at the end of the night.

If anyone could give me any advice i would be forever grateful. Thank you again for your time and your support. Thanks all.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey

Omg I do this all the time I'm so scared
Reply 9
Hi Folks,

Hope you are well.

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey

You are being ridiculous. Just brush them straight after your last meal.
And anyway, when do you shower/bath? Do you honestly go to bed dirty?
Reply 10
Out of interrest how many hours a day are you working for? What time are you waking up at and getting up at for work and at what time do you go to your room and get into bed at ?

Other than everything everyone else has said ever tried taking a stroll outdoors after your tea the fresh air might liven you up alittle.
I did the same thing. I didn't brush my teeth after finish work at 3am 5 days a week. Only brushing them in the mornings.

Now, at 21, I've paid £789 for 3 teeth extractions (£209 for the extractions, £52 for the x-rays before hand), £2500 for a dental implant, and the rest that are still their are f''d up.

You can either brush your teeth while you're tired, or you can pay £3289 like I did. Or, if you don't like either of those options, your third alternative is mouth cancer and the possibilty to go blind. Whatever you feel is best.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending