The Student Room Group

Grade 9 GCSE english language and literature advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by akshita1702
hey, I'm going to sit English language paper 1 in a few weeks and I needed help on how to revise for it.

One of the biggest things I did for revising eng lang was using the sources and questions from the class and doing them over and over again with a short time period every time you do them. make sure to do all of them under timed conditions. Also once you have answered one make your teacher mark it with tips on how to improve. then do the questions again and show them so that you can see if you have improved and taken the tips into consideration. This will be very repetitive for your teacher but that shouldn't be your concern lol it's their job.

Another thing is watch videos from mr.bruff, Mr.salles and the other that do youtube videos. every time they show a finished answer take note of any good phrases or words that have been used that is generic so can be used in any source that you come across. This is very important because if you're like me and find it hard to come up with different ways to phrase things then knowing a bank of these words for each question means that your writing is more structured - try and include as many of these into every work that you do so it comes naturally to you in the exam. It's particularly good for the question 5s.

there's a website called TES with loads of resources from teachers which you can download for free.
I can also send the resources I have via email.
Reply 41
Original post by Sheikh2002
Resources plz!

Could I have your email pls
Reply 42
Original post by EstelleA
Thank you! How can I use language devices from the text to support it? I’m already doing what you’ve stated (I think this is what has been giving me decent grades haha) but I literally forget to add quotes...bad, I know.

For eng lit pick the quotes that won't show a direct meaning to the question but somewhat relates to it if you slightly waffle on. this will make it stand out cos no one's going to pick it and you'll have to write quite a bit to show them how it links. With the other part of the question that talks about the rest of the play/text I used a flashcard app on my phone and selected around 10 quotes for every character and main themes (4/5) then shortlisted them down to the best 5 quotes. For the very important characters and themes I did 5/6 quotes but for the less common things, it was 3. What made this a bit tiring was that each quote had a paragraph of points (3-5 lines) on the back which I also memorised. It takes time but the app was really useful cos it said which one you weren't good on and which you knew consistently. If you look through these on a regular basis you can automatically come up with quotes for the questions in the exam even if the extract is rubbish cos there's no rule saying you need a certain number of quotes from the extract and another number from the rest. But that doesn't mean you don't use the extract at all - you should try to find at least 2 from it.
hiii do you have any tips for Macbeth because that’s one of the texts that I’m doing, also did you do power and conflict or love and relationships? any help is appreciated x
Hi, I am currently at a grade 6 in English and I was wondering how you make the jump to grade 9. Yes, it is not straight forward at all. Also, how do you drastically improve your vocabulary and anaylsis in both lang and lit between now and May?
what was the app as
well?
We did the June 2018 language paper 2 with the extract about surfing, and according to the AQA grade boundaries a grade 7 was 53, meaning I was 2 marks off.
Original post by bhavyab02
One of the biggest things I did for revising eng lang was using the sources and questions from the class and doing them over and over again with a short time period every time you do them. make sure to do all of them under timed conditions. Also once you have answered one make your teacher mark it with tips on how to improve. then do the questions again and show them so that you can see if you have improved and taken the tips into consideration. This will be very repetitive for your teacher but that shouldn't be your concern lol it's their job.

Another thing is watch videos from mr.bruff, Mr.salles and the other that do youtube videos. every time they show a finished answer take note of any good phrases or words that have been used that is generic so can be used in any source that you come across. This is very important because if you're like me and find it hard to come up with different ways to phrase things then knowing a bank of these words for each question means that your writing is more structured - try and include as many of these into every work that you do so it comes naturally to you in the exam. It's particularly good for the question 5s.

there's a website called TES with loads of resources from teachers which you can download for free.
I can also send the resources I have via email.

I'm sorry if I'm troubling you but can you please send me the resources, thank you so much.
Reply 48
Original post by Missy_GCSE
Hi, I am currently at a grade 6 in English and I was wondering how you make the jump to grade 9. Yes, it is not straight forward at all. Also, how do you drastically improve your vocabulary and anaylsis in both lang and lit between now and May?

I'll just give a brief overview in bullet points but if you need to extend on any of those do tell me
- multiple and contrasting interpretations
- 'fancy' ways of phrasing things (this is for the reading section, teachers say it doesn't matter how you write but make it sound fancy and make the examiner think your points are sophisticated)
- commenting on the emotions of characters and therefore the readers
- linking events in the sources to real life happenings
- writing section: 2 semicolons, exclamation marks and rhetorical questions
- Always make your written piece sad and depressing because you're only doing this for the examiner and they won't exactly be very engaged with a happy and cheery story. it's easier to write about too.
- for paper 2 in the reading section always talk about the context of the source and how it influences the way it has been written. for example, if it was about schools in the 1800s the way they would talk of schools would be in a very serious manner as it was a highly important place due to the respect earned by individuals with a proper education in comparison to those who did not. however, with a modern source, they're more likely to be a bit laid-back and care-free with their perspective of school as compared to the Victorian text these schools provide more freedom.

There are plenty of other things that make that jump from a 6 to 9 but I can remember all the questions in the papers.

You don't need a high vocab for lit its only about the analysis. in the first couple of months, I was not doing well simply because I made it too wordy and so complicating to understand when the teacher was reading it. To make sure you dont't do this defo think about writing essays maybe once a week and getting your teacher to mark it. for a good vocab in lang, I highlighted words and phrases that I had found from the sources we used in class, at home, and online videoes. These would then be categorised into happy and sad and put into a long list so that I could use these in all of the descriptive writings. Make sure what you pick for the list are generic as you want to be using these for all your work. I suggest you remember all the ones on your list so that it becomes second nature to you in the exam. just like write down all the words you remember immediately as you start the paper so you don't forget and include as many in what you write.
I'll just give a brief overview in bullet points but if you need to extend on any of those do tell me
- multiple and contrasting interpretations
- 'fancy' ways of phrasing things (this is for the reading section, teachers say it doesn't matter how you write but make it sound fancy and make the examiner think your points are sophisticated)
- commenting on the emotions of characters and therefore the readers
- linking events in the sources to real life happenings
- writing section: 2 semicolons, exclamation marks and rhetorical questions
- Always make your written piece sad and depressing because you're only doing this for the examiner and they won't exactly be very engaged with a happy and cheery story. it's easier to write about too.
- for paper 2 in the reading section always talk about the context of the source and how it influences the way it has been written. for example, if it was about schools in the 1800s the way they would talk of schools would be in a very serious manner as it was a highly important place due to the respect earned by individuals with a proper education in comparison to those who did not. however, with a modern source, they're more likely to be a bit laid-back and care-free with their perspective of school as compared to the Victorian text these schools provide more freedom.

There are plenty of other things that make that jump from a 6 to 9 but I can remember all the questions in the papers.

You don't need a high vocab for lit its only about the analysis. in the first couple of months, I was not doing well simply because I made it too wordy and so complicating to understand when the teacher was reading it. To make sure you dont't do this defo think about writing essays maybe once a week and getting your teacher to mark it. for a good vocab in lang, I highlighted words and phrases that I had found from the sources we used in class, at home, and online videoes. These would then be categorised into happy and sad and put into a long list so that I could use these in all of the descriptive writings. Make sure what you pick for the list are generic as you want to be using these for all your work. I suggest you remember all the ones on your list so that it becomes second nature to you in the exam. just like write down all the words you remember immediately as you start the paper so you don't forget and include as many in what you write.

Heyy have you sent the resources yet?
Great advice btw 😁
Reply 50
Original post by Sheikh2002
Heyy have you sent the resources yet?
Great advice btw 😁

wanted to make it obvious just how easy it is to get the marks:smile:
as long as i have your emails the resources will be sent asap
wanted to make it obvious just how easy it is to get the marks:smile:
as long as i have your emails the resources will be sent asap

I’ll Pm them to you :smile:
Hi There, I have just finished English mocks and I don’t think the outcome was great but Could you pls send me the documents you used to get a grade 9???Also when did you start revising??
I got my mocks, not too bad. Both 6h for English Lit and Lang :/ teacher was a bit disappointed though, we both thought I would at least get a 7. Definitely going to work harder for my mocks in February!
Reply 54
Original post by EstelleA
I got my mocks, not too bad. Both 6h for English Lit and Lang :/ teacher was a bit disappointed though, we both thought I would at least get a 7. Definitely going to work harder for my mocks in February!

Good luck! just make sure you keep learning and finding as many different and unique points for eng lit which you can get from friends class discussions and online videos. Eng lang is all about practising the questions using as many sources as you can find.
Reply 55
Original post by Fathima Ifla
Hi There, I have just finished English mocks and I don’t think the outcome was great but Could you pls send me the documents you used to get a grade 9???Also when did you start revising??

I actually started revising from the start of yr 10 as my teacher then was very good. But proper revision started from Nov/Dec I would so no later than January or it becomes too much for the Easter holidays. you can dm me your email address and I'll send you the documents.
Reply 56
Original post by 15skainth
I'm sorry if I'm troubling you but can you please send me the resources, thank you so much.

No don't be sorry I made this thread so I can hopefully help people. message me your email address and I can send it to you.
No don't be sorry I made this thread so I can hopefully help people. message me your email address and I can send it to you.

can you send any resources to my email as well? ill send you a dm
Reply 58
Original post by canidomyhw
hiii do you have any tips for Macbeth because that’s one of the texts that I’m doing, also did you do power and conflict or love and relationships? any help is appreciated x

for Macbeth and other eng lit texts I selected the main characters and themes, I can't say how many as it varies with text. then for the characters rank them in terms of importance in the play and select unique quotes for them. do about 5/6 for Macbeth. also, the way in which select the quotes is based on the point you have for it. I used some of the quotes from the CGP guides but obv as most people have them others may do the same in the exam so don't just rely on these. after that use a flashcard app to write the points and quotes. I would try to learn them by looking at them every 2/3 days so when I'm in the exam I immediately have a point depending on what the question is asking so no time is wasted in trying to remember one. I did power and conflict.
Hi,
Sorry if I'm troubling you but could you pls send me the resources pls?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending