The Student Room Group

University changed program structure mid degree.

First time posting so apologies if this has come up anywhere else or is not in the correct place. My issue that my university has majorly changed my courses structure mid degree. Ultimately, they removed some multiple modules I wished to do and changed all modules to 20 credits (initially you chose six 10 credit modules). This was initially done due to people failing final year modules (Masters) with less than 40 (too low for a compensated pass - i.e. you can progress despite getting less than the pass mark of 50). The main idea being a bad module can be propped up by another. However, both the physics and maths departments complained, resulting in the university changing the compensated pass mark to 10 (i.e. if you don't achieve that you really don't deserve a degree). This change was too late for my year and as a result I have been unable to undertake maths electives due to timetabling issues and lost 50% of the modules I would have done.Further, the new 20 credit modules are not taught concurrently, i.e. they go teach - exam - teach - exam. They are refusing to divide modules to allow people to take 10 credit electives (students have no expectation that they are guaranteed a clash free timetable if doing so) despite already having the 10 credit modules created separately for non undergraduate masters students. So, in summary, the course has drastically changed from what was initially sold and they have no satisfactory reason for not allowing students to only do 'half a module' (which is already a separate 10 credit module in-itself). I must also add members of both departments also feel aggrieved for the students, but the university and admin will not even consider a students proposal and throw it out immediately. Their official reason was the 20 credit modules were formed for 'pedagogic reasons', which we all know is absolute BS.So what can I do? I'm stuck studying modules (for a f****** masters) that I have no interest in. I hate the 'well I am paying for this' argument, but actually I think it's somewhat valid here. I'm aware there is probably nothing that can be done, at least for me, but I'm not sure how this is right. You couldn't sell a vacuum and then deliver a brush!
Original post by AGG97
First time posting so apologies if this has come up anywhere else or is not in the correct place. My issue that my university has majorly changed my courses structure mid degree. Ultimately, they removed some multiple modules I wished to do and changed all modules to 20 credits (initially you chose six 10 credit modules). This was initially done due to people failing final year modules (Masters) with less than 40 (too low for a compensated pass - i.e. you can progress despite getting less than the pass mark of 50). The main idea being a bad module can be propped up by another. However, both the physics and maths departments complained, resulting in the university changing the compensated pass mark to 10 (i.e. if you don't achieve that you really don't deserve a degree). This change was too late for my year and as a result I have been unable to undertake maths electives due to timetabling issues and lost 50% of the modules I would have done.Further, the new 20 credit modules are not taught concurrently, i.e. they go teach - exam - teach - exam. They are refusing to divide modules to allow people to take 10 credit electives (students have no expectation that they are guaranteed a clash free timetable if doing so) despite already having the 10 credit modules created separately for non undergraduate masters students. So, in summary, the course has drastically changed from what was initially sold and they have no satisfactory reason for not allowing students to only do 'half a module' (which is already a separate 10 credit module in-itself). I must also add members of both departments also feel aggrieved for the students, but the university and admin will not even consider a students proposal and throw it out immediately. Their official reason was the 20 credit modules were formed for 'pedagogic reasons', which we all know is absolute BS.So what can I do? I'm stuck studying modules (for a f****** masters) that I have no interest in. I hate the 'well I am paying for this' argument, but actually I think it's somewhat valid here. I'm aware there is probably nothing that can be done, at least for me, but I'm not sure how this is right. You couldn't sell a vacuum and then deliver a brush!

Hi @AGG97

I am so sorry you are going through this, I can imagine it's disturbing your learning.

I suggest you write to senior leadership and ask them what is the reason for this change, there may have been a good reason behind it but it was not communicated to you and the students as well as it could have been.

I really hope you can get this sorted out.

I hope this helps

Hasnai :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending