The Student Room Group

How do you start a university report?

(edited 3 years ago)
You don't need to state that you are writing a report. You dive straight into the actual content.

e.g. I started a report on genetically modified food last year with the line "genetically modified foods are produced from organisms that have had changes introduced to their DNA through genetic engineering."
Original post by ayocici
Thanks for your reply!!! Sorry I should have included that this was how I started the report objectives section / introduction etc. Did your report include a section like that?

I approach that section of a report in the same way: by going straight into what those aims/objectives actually are. The header for a section (e.g. "Aims and Objectives") makes clear the context of the text that will follow.
Reply 3
Original post by ayocici
Hi there,

I got feedback from a previous report I wrote (which began "This report will ..." and my lecturer said this opening weakened my report. I asked how else I would start it and was told that lecturers can't give writing advice (so helpful...)

Does anyone have any other ideas on how you would start a report? It's for computing science if that helps. Thank you!

Lecturers can't give writing advice?! That's half the reason we are there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending