The Student Room Group

Is this a good combination for a level?

Atm I'm thinking of taking history, psychology and biology for a level and I'm thinking of becoming a nurse or at least a health related profession but definately not a doctor. Will this be a weird combination ?
I would have maybe taken maths, if I planned to do anything medical related but I doubt it will be a massive problem? I have done three STEM A-levels but am going to study English, haha. SOmetimes universities like weird combinations, just check out what the general uni requirements are.
Reply 2
Original post by death07/08/17
I would have maybe taken maths, if I planned to do anything medical related but I doubt it will be a massive problem? I have done three STEM A-levels but am going to study English, haha. SOmetimes universities like weird combinations, just check out what the general uni requirements are.

Thanks for the reply. There's absolutely no way I could take maths at a level because I'm currently working on 4s and 5s plus it's not a subject I enjoy but ty for the advice.
Reply 3
Original post by sllyie
Thanks for the reply. There's absolutely no way I could take maths at a level because I'm currently working on 4s and 5s plus it's not a subject I enjoy but ty for the advice.

There's a lot of statistical testing in biology. If maths isn't your thing, I recommend you don't take it.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
There's a lot of statistical testing in biology. If maths isn't your thing, I recommend you don't take it.

Is that it general or does it depend on the course/exam board?
Original post by sllyie
Is that it general or does it depend on the course/exam board?

Pretty sure it's in general. Not sure though cos I do AQA and there's like 3 statistical tests. There's also a few maths questions, eg working out percentage change. Some are pretty complicated but most are simple maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Lemonadez
Pretty sure it's in general. Not sure though cos I do AQA and there's like 3 statistical tests. There's also a few maths questions, eg working out percentage change. Some are pretty complicated but most are simple maths.

My target grade is a 6 for maths but i can probably get 7 if i really tried. Is most of the maths do-able if more practise is done?
Original post by sllyie
My target grade is a 6 for maths but i can probably get 7 if i really tried. Is most of the maths do-able if more practise is done?

Yes. Percentage change is easy with repetition. Other maths questions, just need to take the units into consideration and it makes it much easier.
From what I know

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/biology-a/2015/specification-and-sample-assessment-materials/9781446930885_GCE2015_A_BioA_spec.pdf
(Read Page 79)

If you'll be doing edexcel: Salters Nuffield ,then only 10% of assessments should be quantative ( from level 2 maths or higher(I.e. Some parts may draw on from maths that's not taught at gcse)).
I feel as though it should be similar for other specs.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr.noname
From what I know

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/biology-a/2015/specification-and-sample-assessment-materials/9781446930885_GCE2015_A_BioA_spec.pdf
(Read Page 79)

If you'll be doing edexcel: Salters Nuffield ,then only 10% of assessments should be quantative ( from level 2 maths or higher(I.e. Some parts may draw on from maths that's not taught at gcse)).
I feel as though it should be similar for other specs.

Thank you!! I will be asking my teachers loads of questions in order to see if its right for me
I think that’s quite good! I’m thinking of doing English Lit, Psychology and RE- and then do a degree of English Lit at University :smile:
Not all all. This combination is quite popular at my school and generally people tend to go off and become nurses. But I would say if you want to have more choices health and social care would be a good one because it relates to psychology. I’m studying health and social care sociology and English literature and I’ve noticed that health and social care also links in to sociology as well as psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending