The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loans

I understand maintenance loans go off your parents incomes, but what are you supposed to do if your parents can’t/won’t support you financially? I’m only eligible for the smallest loan (which won’t even slightly cover the cheapest accommodation costs at my uni) because of their income but they’re not going to give me any financial help? Is there any solution for this or am I just not going to be able to go to university?

Seems like a bit of a flawed system to assume all parents will gladly fork out for their kids.
Original post by lgbtdodie
I understand maintenance loans go off your parents incomes, but what are you supposed to do if your parents can’t/won’t support you financially? I’m only eligible for the smallest loan (which won’t even slightly cover the cheapest accommodation costs at my uni) because of their income but they’re not going to give me any financial help? Is there any solution for this or am I just not going to be able to go to university?

Seems like a bit of a flawed system to assume all parents will gladly fork out for their kids.

My friend had the same problem, she just worked very hard during sixth form to save up and continues to have a job at uni
Reply 2
Yeah that’s what I’m doing currently, I just didn’t know if there was any other support available. Thank you though! :smile:
Yeah that’s what I’m doing currently, I just didn’t know if there was any other support available. Thank you though! :smile:

It's a shame there isn't! You could try to apply for scholarships maybe? That's the only other option that I'm aware of, there might be other support but I've never heard of anything other than that.

What makes you eligable for the lowest loan? Im scared i might be too because on paper my dad and mum is 'well off'
Original post by Luke9380
What makes you eligable for the lowest loan? Im scared i might be too because on paper my dad and mum is 'well off'

It’s your yearly household income, so your parents’ salaries combined
Original post by umbrellala
It’s your yearly household income, so your parents’ salaries combined

@lgbtdodie What was yours around if you dont mind me asking so i can get an idea of if i will get lowest loan or not. And do you know if it takes into account their status if their divorced/married
(edited 5 years ago)

Hey @lgbtdodie,

I would recommend having a part-time job while at a university to help with covering your accommodation costs. I know it's not ideal when you're only entitled to the lowest maintenance loan, but unfortunately, it's one of the most sensible options to take. Alternatively, you could be eligible for a scholarship or bursary from your university - which university are you applying to? I would definitely recommend looking into which scholarships and bursaries are available there.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Harvey
@lgbtdodie What was yours around if you dont mind me asking so i can get an idea of if i will get lowest loan or not. And do you know if it takes into account their status if their divorced/married

I can't disclose my parents' earnings haha but to give you a general idea my dad is a director and engineer at a large engineering/architectural firm in London and my mum is personal assistant. If your parents are divorced and live separately, I believe you can choose which household they take the 'total income' figure from. There are also guidelines online as to what you'll be entitled to, so you can get an idea of how much you'll receive. Remember it is different for students in London too.
Reply 9

If your parents income is more than £63,000 (I think that’s the cut off point) per year, then you get the lowest loan, regardless of how much more than that they earn. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending