The Student Room Group

I think I may have unintentionally plagiarised!

I wanted to use a quote in my work and put it in commas with author, year and page in brackets but when I came to write my list of references at the bottom I had returned the book. An exemplar used the same quote as me therefore I thought it would be ok to use their Harvard reference as they had used the same book. (very naïve I now realise but its my first essay at this level) After I have submitted it I have realised they wrote country and not city which is incorrect and in the similarity score although it is only 9% it has flagged up the quote and the reference. I have emailed my course leader to ask for advice but probably wont get a reply any time soon and I'm sick with worry ill get kicked off the course for plagiarism.
Original post by Kellysw
I wanted to use a quote in my work and put it in commas with author, year and page in brackets but when I came to write my list of references at the bottom I had returned the book. An exemplar used the same quote as me therefore I thought it would be ok to use their Harvard reference as they had used the same book. (very naïve I now realise but its my first essay at this level) After I have submitted it I have realised they wrote country and not city which is incorrect and in the similarity score although it is only 9% it has flagged up the quote and the reference. I have emailed my course leader to ask for advice but probably wont get a reply any time soon and I'm sick with worry ill get kicked off the course for plagiarism.

As its referencing error and clearly a mistake, you might lose some marks but i wouldn't panic about it :smile:
I'm sure they will let you off as its just an unintentional mistake, you have at least referenced the work to show its not your own idea/thought. You have also notified your lecturer too, so all in all I think you'd be fine.

Also 9% isnt bad, I think there maybe a cap (30%) before lecturers become suspicous on whether there was plagiarism I believe.
Reply 3
Original post by DarkChaoz95

l think there maybe a cap (30%) before lecturers become suspicous on whether there was plagiarism I believe.

Why does this myth continue? There is no cap below which lectirers won't check. We use our intelligence not the blunt tool of turnitin. I have had students where 10% was copied with no reference anld as it was all in one block and it was part of a 15000 word masters project it was penalised severely. Equally I have cases where it has been 35 or more but properly referenced so not penalised under plagiarim (but considered poor academic practice for too many quotations).

To the OP - yoy should be fine. Minor referencing error which may not even have been spotted
Original post by DEdEdD
Why does this myth continue?

Most likely on miscommunication or the fact the procedure was not made clear well at least to me that is. I remember I was told something along the lines of 30% but at the same time they did say they dont rely on turnitin alone.
Original post by Kellysw

How do you check your plagirsim? I've written so many essays and just submitted it without checking
Reply 6
Original post by charlotte100200
How do you check your plagirsim? I've written so many essays and just submitted it without checking

We upload ours onto the university's website and they use Turnitin which highlights anything that has been used before.
Original post by charlotte100200

Best to ask your lecturer if the university has a tool to upload docs to Turnitin which checks your assignment (I'm sure it does).

But whether it's necessary its another question. If they didn't tell you need or even how to, then I suppose it's not required (unless its already built in with the assignment submission page).

I didn't even use Turnitin until I was in Third year and that was really, during my last 3 assignments really.
I doubt you would get pulled up for that tbh. You can always say you wrote the wrong thing on your reference list - which you clearly did. It's not unreasonable to expect two people to make the same mistake when referencing, and because references should all be identical anyway it stands to reason that the reference you've used will be exactly the same on other assignments.

If you're concerned, see your tutor, but I doubt it would even be looked at.
Reply 9
You should be fine. I know people who have had 40%+ plagiarism before and have been let off.
It all depends on what you "plagiarised" on. For example, these particular people had the same references as other people and same sentence starters, headings, explanations etc. So I think you should be okay. 9% is a very small number. You should not be worried at all!
You will be PUNISHED.

PUNISHED with EXTREME PREJUDICE!!!

:mad:
Original post by Kellysw

Hey! Dont worry, you will be fine. They understand you make mistakes, especially in first year!
Sophia :smile:
They probably wouldn't have ever noticed. As it is, it's clearly a mistake and not malicious. You may lose a couple of marks as a penalty at worst but nothing serious will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending