The Student Room Group

UK Border force (November 2018)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I am on the last year in the university
I want to become a border force or working in immigration department in UK
Where can i apply the job and what can i do?
Original post by Bluenose_1878
Hey Aaron,

Security clearance will probably take a couple of weeks. For some, a few months. It’s different for everyone.

If you’re already in the Civil Service or are serving / have previously served as a Police Officer, Soldier or are in a government based role, then this shouldn’t take too long at all.

Due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation, many staff will be working from home and things may take a little longer than normal.

Just hang in there and be patient. You aren’t too far away now and everything should be finalised very soon. In the meantime, just keep yourself occupied and try not to stress too much.

Hope everything goes well with all your checks.

Hey, thanks a lot!

I feel stupid for being anxious about it when I currently have a job, but my mental health is being tested here lol, really want to hand in my notice as soon as possible. I haven't served in the Civil Service before so I guess it will take a little longer (plus covid), but I'm hoping everything comes through this month! The form I was sent simply stated "the information is required to raise a request for your security clearance application" - I'm not expecting you to know the answer, but does this mean this form wasn't for security clearance, it's just to get the process started? Did anyone else receive this?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AaronL23
Hey, thanks a lot!

I feel stupid for being anxious about it when I currently have a job, but my mental health is being tested here lol, really want to hand in my notice as soon as possible. I haven't served in the Civil Service before so I guess it will take a little longer (plus covid), but I'm hoping everything comes through this month! The form I was sent simply stated "the information is required to raise a request for your security clearance application" - I'm not expecting you to know the answer, but does this mean this form wasn't for security clearance, it's just to get the process started? Did anyone else receive this?

Hey Aaron,

Was it an online questionnaire you completed? If so, it was your SC, or sounds like it anyway.

Personally, my SC came back within a week but that’s because it was a priority check. Not requested by me, it was just the email I received, I did receive a formal quite quick so that could be the reason why.

Speaking to other members on the forum, it can take a little while but does vary for everyone. Some people, like myself, received it within a week or so, others a couple of weeks and others have waited 4weeks+.

Believe me, it’s hard, it’s frustrating and you are right, it challenges your mental health, trying not to go crazy! But, believe me, it’s worth the wait!! I was in your shoes between Christmas and New Years! And I start on the 1st March. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Good Luck with your checks 🤞🏻👍🏻
Original post by AaronL23
Hey, thanks a lot!

No problem, mate!

You aren’t alone and we have all been through the same process. It’s a waiting game and it does test your patience at times.

Once SC checks are completed, Recruitment will be back in touch and you should then receive your formal offer.

Wish you every success in the future.
Original post by MarcJ89
Hey Aaron,

Was it an online questionnaire you completed? If so, it was your SC, or sounds like it anyway.

Personally, my SC came back within a week but that’s because it was a priority check. Not requested by me, it was just the email I received, I did receive a formal quite quick so that could be the reason why.

Speaking to other members on the forum, it can take a little while but does vary for everyone. Some people, like myself, received it within a week or so, others a couple of weeks and others have waited 4weeks+.

Believe me, it’s hard, it’s frustrating and you are right, it challenges your mental health, trying not to go crazy! But, believe me, it’s worth the wait!! I was in your shoes between Christmas and New Years! And I start on the 1st March. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Good Luck with your checks 🤞🏻👍🏻

Hello Marc, did you get any message like this? I dont recall sending any documents in for ID check however I may of supplied them at interview but was so long ago I dont recall. I'm still waiting for them to contact me but nothing yet. Cheers
Original post by Fairbairn1983
Hello Marc, did you get any message like this? I dont recall sending any documents in for ID check however I may of supplied them at interview but was so long ago I dont recall. I'm still waiting for them to contact me but nothing yet. Cheers

Hey bud,

Yep, got the exact same email. I provided ID at point of interview so I was quite concerned when I received it but don’t worry. They will contact you and request some ID documentation. I think I sent them a utility bill, driving licence and my passport.

Took around a week or so from receiving that email for someone to email me asking for my documentation.

Keep the documents safe, after they’re received you’ll be invited to a video call online to verify the documents. Then my understanding is, the documents verified you provide to your new line manager.

Please feel free to pm me if you have another questions 🙂
Original post by MarcJ89
Hey bud,

Yep, got the exact same email. I provided ID at point of interview so I was quite concerned when I received it but don’t worry. They will contact you and request some ID documentation. I think I sent them a utility bill, driving licence and my passport.

Took around a week or so from receiving that email for someone to email me asking for my documentation.

Keep the documents safe, after they’re received you’ll be invited to a video call online to verify the documents. Then my understanding is, the documents verified you provide to your new line manager.

Please feel free to pm me if you have another questions 🙂

Happy days my only concern is I moved on Friday so just sent my driving licence off to get address changed lol hope its back soon. I wil pm u mate just used this as couldn't find away to attach my photo in private message
Original post by Fairbairn1983
Happy days my only concern is I moved on Friday so just sent my driving licence off to get address changed lol hope its back soon. I wil pm u mate just used this as couldn't find away to attach my photo in private message

Ah fair enough, you get a table of documents you can send.

You might be able to send over your passport and a couple of utilities so you should be fine.
Nah not got anything just yet will wait till they contact me and see what they require.
Original post by MarcJ89
I received a formal offer! Quicker than expected, so I’m happy with that. I start the 1st March, looking forward to it.

Waiting to get the uniform form to be sent, does the uniform get sent to your home address or your place of work, i.e the port I’ll be working at?

Congrats for the new job marc. How long did your checks take from provisional offer to formal offer please? And how far into the checks did you receive the sc form?
Original post by BajanUgandan
Congrats for the new job marc. How long did your checks take from provisional offer to formal offer please? And how far into the checks did you receive the sc form?

Thanks mate,

Provision offer was mid November and I received formal offer around the second week of Jan (give or take).

The SC is the last part of the checks, I received the SC form on New Year’s Eve. My SC was doing pretty quick in comparison to what other people have waited. SC time varies for everyone, when I received mine, it did advise it was time sensitive and would be treat as priority.

I’m guessing it was priority as I was offered a job pretty much straight away.
Heya. For Border force officer at Heathrow, does anyone know the basic salary and is there opportunity or time to do extra hours (overtime)?
Well I’m livid. My job vacancy has now been withdrawn. 2 years I’ve been messing about waiting! I’ve sent them a right snotty email. Don’t think I want to work for these jokers! Good luck everyone
Original post by Runner1708
Well I’m livid. My job vacancy has now been withdrawn. 2 years I’ve been messing about waiting! I’ve sent them a right snotty email. Don’t think I want to work for these jokers! Good luck everyone

I've had an email saying that the reserve list has expired. I was on it for 2 years as they put me back on. I think I'm just going to give up and start looking elsewhere. I've got other applications ongoing and whatnot. Border Force just seems to be a joke from start to finish. I'm really sorry that this has happened to you as well. Maybe something even better will come up for you. :wink: Keep your chin up.
Hey everyone. I received and email to say all my checks have now been completed finally but it’s probably another waiting game.
How long after getting that email did people wait until their port called to give a start date?
I think when it comes to the GRS recruitment process, you have to be patient. I'm in the middle of my pre-employment checks and was somewhat held back for a few weeks until my IDs could be verified. By the time GRS started to process my pre-employment checks the bank statement I presented as a Group B ID was post three months so a couple of weeks after accepting the provisional offer, I received an email asking me to provide them with a more recent proof of address which I duely did the following day. Five days later I received an email thanking me for providing the aforementioned document and that a colleague would be in touch to arrange a video meeting in order to allow me to present my three forms of ID. Six days later I received a further email inviting me to take part in a further Google Hangouts meeting five days later, which I completed last week. My proof of address was well within the three month period when presented at interview but by the time I was offered the post, accepted the offer allowing the pre-employment checks to begin, my proof of address was out of date. It's a case of being patient. If it's of value to other candidates, my health assessment came back successfully after four days. I had a couple of things to disclose but I was honest and provided them with specific details and they were able to approve my assessment. Maybe something to mention, be as honest as possible when it comes to the medical assessment and they take that into account in opposed to referring you to an assessor for further discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending