The Student Room Group

Chemistry alevel cgp or examboard endorsed textbook

Which one of these do you prefer?
I study AQA Chemistry. I never used the endorsed textbook because it contains too much irrelevant information but I also don't think CGP goes into enough detail for higher grades. Instead, I use the notes on Chemrevise.org and then it's important to do as many practice questions as possible.
ch0c0lat3
Thank you to your reply. I just want some tips on what you do for your other subjects because i assume you also do maths bio or physics. Can you tell me what you do and the resources you use. Much appreciated

I study Chemistry, Maths and Biology. What subjects do you take?
It's best to post on this thread so that other users who are looking for resources can see this information as well :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Infinite Series
I study Chemistry, Maths and Biology. What subjects do you take?
It's best to post on this thread so that other users who are looking for resources can see this information as well :smile:

Same! Can you tell me how you revise for each subject and what resources you use.
Original post by ch0c0lat3
Same! Can you tell me how you revise for each subject and what resources you use.

For Chemistry, I've been learning the content using the notes on https://chemrevise.org/ and if I have any doubts watch the videos on https://www.youtube.com/user/MrERintoul. Then I do as many practice questions as possible using past papers (use questions from different exam boards as well because the questions are similar), questions by topic on Physics&MathsTutor, http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/, and exampro questions that my teacher gives me (ask your teacher for extra questions once you've done all of the above).

Be aware of the practical questions which will be coming up in the new spec exams. I've been advised by my teachers to use the past ISA questions to practice for these.

For Biology, I use the official endorsed textbook to make short, but detailed, notes which I memorise. I then hit the practice papers, which is very important in Biology. When my only exam prep was memorising my notes, I would get a C grade, but after I did a billion practice questions, I am now working at an A/A* grade. I do questions from AQA, Edexcel and OCR. The sites I get my questions from are Physics&MathsTutor, MathsMadeEasy, pxsBiology and SaveMyExams.

Maths is my favourite subject because if you understand the topics thoroughly, then you won't have to memorise much and can score highly in exams. I read through my textbook and try to understand each topic. Then I use examsolutions.net to confirm my understanding of the topic before doing a lot of practice questions. For the questions I use Physics&MathsTutor, MathsMadeEasy, CrashMaths and MadAsMaths. :smile:
Reply 5
For Chemistry, I've been learning the content using the notes on https://chemrevise.org/ and if I have any doubts watch the videos on https://www.youtube.com/user/MrERintoul. Then I do as many practice questions as possible using past papers (use questions from different exam boards as well because the questions are similar), questions by topic on Physics&MathsTutor, http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/, and exampro questions that my teacher gives me (ask your teacher for extra questions once you've done all of the above).

Be aware of the practical questions which will be coming up in the new spec exams. I've been advised by my teachers to use the past ISA questions to practice for these.

For Biology, I use the official endorsed textbook to make short, but detailed, notes which I memorise. I then hit the practice papers, which is very important in Biology. When my only exam prep was memorising my notes, I would get a C grade, but after I did a billion practice questions, I am now working at an A/A* grade. I do questions from AQA, Edexcel and OCR. The sites I get my questions from are Physics&MathsTutor, MathsMadeEasy, pxsBiology and SaveMyExams.

Maths is my favourite subject because if you understand the topics thoroughly, then you won't have to memorise much and can score highly in exams. I read through my textbook and try to understand each topic. Then I use examsolutions.net to confirm my understanding of the topic before doing a lot of practice questions. For the questions I use Physics&MathsTutor, MathsMadeEasy, CrashMaths and MadAsMaths. :smile:

Thank you so much. What did you get for AS? And do you do aqa?
Thank you so much. What did you get for AS? And do you do aqa?

I did internal exams at the end of year 12 (my school made the papers), and the grade boundaries were higher than the actual AS exams. The top grade at AS is an A- I got AAB (4% off AAA) in Maths, Biology and Chemistry respectively.

I do AQA for all of my subjects :smile:
Reply 7
I did internal exams at the end of year 12 (my school made the papers), and the grade boundaries were higher than the actual AS exams. The top grade at AS is an A- I got AAB (4% off AAA) in Maths, Biology and Chemistry respectively.

I do AQA for all of my subjects :smile:

Wow, that is impressive. Thank you for your help. And also have you ever used the cgp books, are they any good?
Wow, that is impressive. Thank you for your help. And also have you ever used the cgp books, are they any good?

I tried them at the start of Y12, i've still got one, but I refuse to use them simply because there are better notes on Chemrevise. CGP isn't made for A/A* students, but if you aren't aiming for these grades then it's alright to use them.

Whichever revision guide you use, knowing the content alone is not enough- you need to do practice questions to look for gaps in your knowledge. :smile:
Reply 9
I tried them at the start of Y12, i've still got one, but I refuse to use them simply because there are better notes on Chemrevise. CGP isn't made for A/A* students, but if you aren't aiming for these grades then it's alright to use them.

Whichever revision guide you use, knowing the content alone is not enough- you need to do practice questions to look for gaps in your knowledge. :smile:

Of course I am aiming for the top grades but our school recommended the books and I had bought them so I thought they could be used and ensure me a high grade.

Now I think about, last year, only one student achieved an A* in chem and only 12 A's with 200 people on the course.

What about the oxford books for chemistry?
Of course I am aiming for the top grades but our school recommended the books and I had bought them so I thought they could be used and ensure me a high grade.

Now I think about, last year, only one student achieved an A* in chem and only 12 A's with 200 people on the course.

What about the oxford books for chemistry?

The Oxford Book is useful; I add to my Chemrevise notes using this book. If you choose to study just from the book, you'll take very long to finish each chapter because the book contains too much information. The way the book is written makes it difficult sometimes to differentiate the key points from the rambling. This is why most people use revision guides mainly and you can add a few points from your book into the revision guide and your revision will be more effective as you're not wasting time reading irrelevant info.
Reply 11
The Oxford Book is useful; I add to my Chemrevise notes using this book. If you choose to study just from the book, you'll take very long to finish each chapter because the book contains too much information. The way the book is written makes it difficult sometimes to differentiate the key points from the rambling. This is why most people use revision guides mainly and you can add a few points from your book into the revision guide and your revision will be more effective as you're not wasting time reading irrelevant info.

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest