The Student Room Group

Resitting C3/C4/M1 after 3 years

Hi!

I'm retaking my A2 maths this year - OCR legacy qualification! I originally sat the exams in 2016, and I'm fairly confident that I can get a good-ish grasp of C1 and C2 fairly quickly.

I haven't started studying at all yet, and I'm not the best at maths in the world - I got 50 (D) in M1, 60 (C) in C3, and 50 (D) in C4 the first time round, but I didn't really do much revision until the very last minute. I need 53 marks in order to get an A.

I'm wondering which of the units it's worth retaking - I'm planning to do 2 but debating between M1 and C3 or C3 and C4. Which combination is better and how much time should be set aside?

Thanks!
If you really want an A, your best bet is to take all 3.
Your grade is based on your overall UMS so be careful here.
53 marks doesn't translate directly into UMS, so 53 marks is still quite a lot, unless you meant UMS?

It's also best for that decision to come from you.
It might be worth revisiting all of the modules to see which one you are more comfortable with and then you can decide.

Mathematically, M1 is not hard but it's the concepts that people can't seem to grasp and have difficulty understanding, so it can take a long time for students to be comfortable with this module. If you haven't done Physics at A-Level then this module may take slightly longer to comprehend. Taking C3 and C4 in combination would possibly allow for you to get an A*, if you're aiming for an A, but that would require an average of 90UMS across both modules.
Reply 2
(Original post by JaredzzC)If you really want an A, your best bet is to take all 3.
53 marks doesn't translate directly into UMS, so 53 marks is still quite a lot, unless you meant UMS?

It might be worth revisiting all of the modules to see which one you are more comfortable with and then you can decide.

Mathematically, M1 is not hard but it's the concepts that people can't seem to grasp and have difficulty understanding, so it can take a long time for students to be comfortable with this module. If you haven't done Physics at A-Level then this module may take slightly longer to comprehend. Taking C3 and C4 in combination would possibly allow for you to get an A*, if you're aiming for an A, but that would require an average of 90UMS across both modules.

Thank you!! I actually do mean 53 UMS, sorry! I think revisiting all 3 and deciding is a good bet. I do only have the resources to take 2, so I have to make a decision and can't take all 3.

I haven't done Physics at A-level and I do have quite a lot of constraints on my time at the moment, so I was more wondering which would be the easiest to grasp for an A in the shortest possible time? I would like to get an A* but am just not sure how feasible it is as I'm not the best in the world at maths!
Original post by jeevanr21
x

One thing that you really need to consider is that this is the LAST year possible to take legacy A-Level maths exams.

There is a new specification for maths and the old a-level is no longer being taught so this is your last chance.
Anyone sitting the C3/C4/M1 exams this year will be students who have done it before and are retaking - so the same as you.
It means that everyone doing the exam this year would have done it already so the grade boundaries are likely to be a lot higher, meaning it will be harder to get a good UMS/Grade.

Taking that into account, and the fact that you've mentioned you don't have a lot of time on your hands, I think your best option is to choose the 2 modules that you are most comfortable with because revising/learning 3 modules in the next few months might be a little strenuous.

I would consider doing C3/C4 but I'm not up to date with your situation so I can't really say much.
If you do want the A*, the only possible way is to average 90 UMS across C3 and C4 - those 2 modules are the most important for the A*. The other condition being you need at least 480UMS overall in the A-Level.
(edited 5 years ago)
@Notnek thoughts?
Reply 5
Original post by jeevanr21
(Original post by JaredzzC)If you really want an A, your best bet is to take all 3.

Thank you!! I actually do mean 53 UMS, sorry! I think revisiting all 3 and deciding is a good bet. I do only have the resources to take 2, so I have to make a decision and can't take all 3.

I haven't done Physics at A-level and I do have quite a lot of constraints on my time at the moment, so I was more wondering which would be the easiest to grasp for an A in the shortest possible time? I would like to get an A* but am just not sure how feasible it is as I'm not the best in the world at maths!

What did you get in the AS modules and will you be retaking them? Also, what do you mean that you don't have the resources to do all 3? I agree with @JaredzzC that you really need to take all 3 to give yourself the best possible chance of getting an A.

If for example you keep one of your Ds then you'll need to average 86 over the remaining 5 modules which is really tough, especially since you didn't do so well the first time.

Original post by JaredzzC

There is a new specification for maths and the old a-level is no longer being taught so this is your last chance.
Anyone sitting the C3/C4/M1 exams this year will be students who have done it before and are retaking - so the same as you.
It means that everyone doing the exam this year would have done it already so the grade boundaries are likely to be a lot higher, meaning it will be harder to get a good UMS/Grade.

To account for situations like this, exam boards adjust boundaries so the OP doesn't need to worry. A similar thing happened for the new A Level last year where a small high ability cohort took the exam. Ofqual confirmed that boundaries would be adjusted to make sure that these students weren't disadvantaged.
Reply 6
Original post by JaredzzC
One thing that you really need to consider is that this is the LAST year possible to take legacy A-Level maths exams.

Taking that into account, and the fact that you've mentioned you don't have a lot of time on your hands, I think your best option is to choose the 2 modules that you are most comfortable with because revising/learning 3 modules in the next few months might be a little strenuous.

I would consider doing C3/C4 but I'm not up to date with your situation so I can't really say much.
If you do want the A*, the only possible way is to average 90 UMS across C3 and C4 - those 2 modules are the most important for the A*. The other condition being you need at least 480UMS overall in the A-Level.

I agree with you! I think the most important factor here is the lack of time. The most important thing for me is to get an A, as I don't want to overstretch myself by going for more challenging content in order to get an A* and then fall very short.

Original post by Notnek
What did you get in the AS modules and will you be retaking them? Also, what do you mean that you don't have the resources to do all 3? I agree with @JaredzzC that you really need to take all 3 to give yourself the best possible chance of getting an A.

If for example you keep one of your Ds then you'll need to average 86 over the remaining 5 modules which is really tough, especially since you didn't do so well the first time.

To account for situations like this, exam boards adjust boundaries so the OP doesn't need to worry. A similar thing happened for the new A Level last year where a small high ability cohort took the exam. Ofqual confirmed that boundaries would be adjusted to make sure that these students weren't disadvantaged.

I believe my marks in the AS units were 98 (C1), 81 (C2) and 88 (S1), and no, I won't be retaking them. In terms of resources, it's mostly a matter of time - I am working full-time so will be doing my revision intensively during the evenings and at weekends. I believe I'd actually have to get 81.5 UMS in each of the two units I'm retaking in order to get an A, as my overall total was 427 (B).

What do you think about the C4/M1 dilemma?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest