The Student Room Group

Politics and History Degree Civil Service, etc.

Hey.

Want to take Politics and History at University as Joint Honours. Would like to know once I have (hopefully) completed this, would the best way in getting a career in the*Civil*Service*be by going on their Trainee Leadership scheme and once you complete that, get a position. Or are there other ways or anything I need to know? (Also, how would one get into Political Consultancy from their degreeCheers!
The Civil Service Fast Stream is one way in - it’s a graduate scheme with multiple different pathways that leads to an HEO position in the civil service. It is however highly competitive and lots of people have to apply multiple years to be accepted (although getting in first time is obviously doable!) There’s a discussion on here about it that could be useful to read and you can also find their webpage by just searching ‘civil service fast stream’ online. The other people I know who want to get in the civil service are simply applying for roles directly through the careers website, so that’s another option too. Obvs pros and cons to each, but if you really want to get into the civil service then it’s worth exploring every avenue, as it’s quite a competitive sector :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
The Civil Service Fast Stream is one way in - it’s a graduate scheme with multiple different pathways that leads to an HEO position in the civil service. It is however highly competitive and lots of people have to apply multiple years to be accepted (although getting in first time is obviously doable!) There’s a discussion on here about it that could be useful to read and you can also find their webpage by just searching ‘civil service fast stream’ online. The other people I know who want to get in the civil service are simply applying for roles directly through the careers website, so that’s another option too. Obvs pros and cons to each, but if you really want to get into the civil service then it’s worth exploring every avenue, as it’s quite a competitor sector :smile:

Can you apply for a role with just a degree and an internship perhaps in the Civil Service? Also is the advancement option there like the fast track?

Also, if you get accepted into the fast track and you do the 4 or so years and get a role, once you are in the role, can you still advance from there into more managerial roles further into your career and does it pay well?
Original post by Owenwilson700
Can you apply for a role with just a degree and an internship perhaps in the Civil Service? Also is the advancement option there like the fast track?

Also, if you get accepted into the fast track and you do the 4 or so years and get a role, once you are in the role, can you still advance from there into more managerial roles further into your career and does it pay well?

This is only what I know from my research so will answer as best I can!

You can just apply with a degree, many people may not even have an internship. There is the SDIP, summer diversity internship programme I believe it stands for, which is a civil service internship aimed at certain people in order to help them have access to the civil service, but other than that I don’t really know of any civil service specific internships. However when applying for these roles you may be competing with current civil servants so it’s still competitive, but definitely doable. I believe the opportunities for promotion are better within the Fast Stream however not 100% sure - tagging @Airmed who I believe is a current fast streamer so may be more knowledgeable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending