The Student Room Group

Scot Gov Graduate Development Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amvns
Hi, I live in London and hoping to apply to the scheme. Just a bit worried about relocation if it comes to it, diversity etc. Anyone else in a similar boat?

I'm from Hertfordshire so Scotland feels a world away from here too, also from a minority group so with you on that bit as-well. The UK Civil Service is on the whole pretty diverse, guessing Scot Civil Service would be less so (given Scot demographics) but still diverse none the less.
Original post by mmsp
Hey, have you heard back about this yet?

Well I re-read the application form and if you check the questions being asked and look at the application form then it does appear that you dont need to answer those. Those 4 questions are more related to essential criteria associated with all the other jobs posted, however the grad scheme does not list essential criteria which means you can't really answer those questions :smile: Hope that helps.
Original post by ainsley1995
Hello, does anyone know how many people they take on for the GDP? Also, do you need to be a new graduate (2020/21) I graduated in 2017.

Thanks

I think it is around 20 or so but I think I have just read that on here so can't be sure. No you don't need to be a new graduate, I also graduated in 2017 and will probs apply.
Original post by stevent1995
I think it is around 20 or so but I think I have just read that on here so can't be sure. No you don't need to be a new graduate, I also graduated in 2017 and will probs apply.

Finished my first degree in 2007 and also applied
Reply 184
Hi there, I just was wondering if others are putting in their employment history into their applications? I noticed that it said 'not required' on the application guidance but that's not the same as 'not considered'?
Original post by ainsley1995
I’ve put mine in, same with the essential criteria part it says in the guidance to put an X.. I think I’ll probably fill that in too. Seems strange sending a near empty application!

Why would you put it in when it specifically says it isn't required? Also how could you fill in the essential criteria section when it doesn't even list what the essential criteria are (and again it specifically says not to fill it in)
Why would you put it in when it specifically says it isn't required? Also how could you fill in the essential criteria section when it doesn't even list what the essential criteria are (and again it specifically says not to fill it in)

Here's hoping they use ability to follow instructions as a criteria for passing through to the next stage 😉
Reply 187
Original post by sc319
Hi Jason! Are the SJT and numerical tests similar to those used for the UK Civil Service Fast Stream?

Hi there,

Yes the tests are very similar to those used on the fast stream so i would recommend checking out sites that offer practice tests in this style, or applying for other grad schemes which utilise these tests as they are all great practice!

cheers.
Jason
Reply 188
So am I understanding this application correct based on:

http://graduates.work-for-scotland.org/application-guide/

We are to basically miss out section 5? So it is essentially just personal details and educational details they want?

Section 5 isn’t relevant as the application process for the Graduate Development Programme assess you on your potential rather than your current competencies.

This means that stage 1, the application form, is just to check the eligibility of applicants before we invite candidates on to the next stage of assessment - we’re simply checking that you have a degree and that you meet the nationality requirements to be employed by Scottish Government. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by Pfort99
What are the advtanages and disadvantages of this vs. the Civil Service Fast Stream?

the advantages for this programme is that it is much smaller cohort of people on the programme so you are part of a smaller machine than the fast stream which can have its perks in terms of support and focus on you as an individual. the GDP is also a 4 year programme, with two years of 4 shorter posts (fast stream only does year posts I think) so there is an opportunity to get more breadth in a short space of time. In terms of disadvantages, you will circulate posts in Scottish government only, whereas on the fast stream you could be based all over the UK which might work for your preferences better as opposed to being based in glasgow or edinburgh. The major differences are in relation to the structure of the two programmes and these may suit applicants differently based on their ambitions in the CS.
Reply 190
Original post by amvns
Hi, I live in London and hoping to apply to the scheme. Just a bit worried about relocation if it comes to it, diversity etc. Anyone else in a similar boat?

its not a problem in terms of living outside of Scotland and applying for the programme :smile: on diversity the programme is actively looking for applicants from a diverse, and underrepresented programme so again this wouldn't be and issue
Reply 191
Original post by cla5hb0y6880
Hi, I have applied for 2021 GDP and I'm looking for a little reassurance. Having watched all the videos and read the application literature, the key word that stands out is 'diversity'. At 52, I am quite a bit older than most who will be applying and I have hands and neck tattoos. Will age and the tattoos put me at a disadvantage?

Kind Regards

Don't worry about that! the age of people on the cohorts already vary from older to younger, so that wont put you at a disadvantage at all :smile:
Reply 192
Hi everyone,

Sorry it has taken a while for me to get to your messages! been very busy at work at the moment. There has been a few comments on what Scotland is like and being from elsewhere in the UK, or being ethnically diverse here. I am originally from Preston, Lancashire, and went to glasgow uni and then moved on to my role in Scottish government, so have been in Scotland for a good 7 years now. It is a brilliant place, and everyone i have met has been super welcoming, and i would always recommend it as a place to live. I am also mixed race and LGBT, and again Scotland has been a very accepting and accommodating place. I am not completely up to date on how Scot gov compares with the UK CS on diversity and inclusion statistics, but can again give my own experience working in SG which has been wholly positive in relation to feeling accepted and valued in the workplace :smile:
Reply 193
Hi everyone. I've noticed a few questions coming up around applying when you're not a recent graduate and wanted to let you know there is no cause for concern around this. There isn't an age range they are looking for and it doesn't matter how long ago you did your degree, just that you have one. I graduated in 2008 but was accepted when I applied in 2017, so I was 31 when I started in the job. I'd mostly worked in retail and call centres during that time as well, so nothing like the work the government does. As Jason said, they are looking at your potential.

Someone asked about the number of people that are accepted. This fluctuates slightly in each recruitment but it tends to be around 20 or so people.
Original post by J-Dash25
Don't worry about that! the age of people on the cohorts already vary from older to younger, so that wont put you at a disadvantage at all :smile:

Hi, thank you, that eases my concerns about the age issue.
Original post by J-Dash25
Hi everyone,

Sorry it has taken a while for me to get to your messages! been very busy at work at the moment. There has been a few comments on what Scotland is like and being from elsewhere in the UK, or being ethnically diverse here. I am originally from Preston, Lancashire, and went to glasgow uni and then moved on to my role in Scottish government, so have been in Scotland for a good 7 years now. It is a brilliant place, and everyone i have met has been super welcoming, and i would always recommend it as a place to live. I am also mixed race and LGBT, and again Scotland has been a very accepting and accommodating place. I am not completely up to date on how Scot gov compares with the UK CS on diversity and inclusion statistics, but can again give my own experience working in SG which has been wholly positive in relation to feeling accepted and valued in the workplace :smile:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply, it means a lot. I am Italian and if I get into the GDP, I will be moving with my Caribbean-British partner so it is important for me to know that he can have good possibilities in Scotland too. I have a question regarding the relocation if you don't mind (or if you know anything about it). My partner and I currently live in a 1bed apt, both working full-time. If we relocate, we need to provide the real estate agency with references usually. Would the Scot gov be able to help when it comes to relocation? Also, because I doubt that my partner will eventually find a job in advance (he is ending his master's degree), it will mostly rely on me. I know that it is a bit early to talk about it, but I like to have some clear ideas :biggrin: thank you
does anyone know what the disability accomodations are for the GDP? i heard that you were guaranteed an interview before, but i think they've changed the application process (a bit more like fast stream now?) so i don't know if this is still the case?
Hi, has anyone heard back since the closing date? An email was sent on the closing date saying nationality and qualification requirements would be checked by the 24th and we'd hear back regarding tests.
Original post by Sonia_3
Hi, has anyone heard back since the closing date? An email was sent on the closing date saying nationality and qualification requirements would be checked by the 24th and we'd hear back regarding tests.

Hey, I haven't heard back from them yet either! Hopefully, hear back soon.
Yeh, I wouldnt rush to expect an answer anytime soon, these things always takes a while. Also remember that there may be another thousand applicants or so, the whole process is lengthy and unfortunately only a small percentage will get it. Let's hope we do make it to that final 20 or so! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending