The Student Room Group

Royal Marine Training

I’m currently half way through my first year of Sixth Form and have realised that I want to join the Royal Marines as a commando after Sixth Form. The problem is, I am tall and skinny at the moment.

Do you think that it is realistic for me to be able to train to meet the physical requirements by the end of my sexond year of Sixth Form? I am going to try my best anyway, because I know that I have the right mindset, but I’m not sure if I will be able to meet the requirements.
Depends how much you want it. My biggest advice (my dad and brother are both former Royal Marines) would be to get your running, pressups and sit ups squared away. My brother failed his first PRMC on his runs.

Most lads (and if not already) and lasses wont be built like tanks. You need to be physically fit, but you arent expected to be the size of Arnie.

Practice your running in a pair of combat trousers as thats what you'll wear on your PRMC, and just get the best times you can get.

Best of luck!
I second what 0902 said, a year is enough time to meet the basic requirements and help prepare you for training. After you've squared away the running, pressups and situps I would suggest walking as well. DofE is a good way to get into it for beginners if you have the time, if not look up the page Boot Camp & Military Fitness Institute online. It's an absolute goldmine of information about the training undergone by various military forces including the Royal Marines, and how to get your military fitness up. If you have the motivation and mental strength you can do it.

Good luck :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest