The Student Room Group

I want to study aeronautical engineering but don't have physics or further maths?

I would really want to study aerospace/aeronautical engineering but I actually don't know if it's possible cause all my A Levels consist of bio, chem, and maths (not further maths). Should I continue trying cause my career advice teacher said I could either repeat year 12 (which I don't really want to) or take a foundation year in engineering and physics in uni (so basically spending an extra year in uni and I actually don't mind), but the problem with the foundation year is that I'm afraid that the top engineering unis won't have a foundation year and I really don't want to go to an average okay uni. Any advice? (I know I can just choose a bio/chem major but it doesn't really interest me)
Southampton have a foundation year for aerospace. they're quite a good university. so does Nottingham and Sheffield I think.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ellie_ellie_
I would really want to study aerospace/aeronautical engineering but I actually don't know if it's possible cause all my A Levels consist of bio, chem, and maths (not further maths). Should I continue trying cause my career advice teacher said I could either repeat year 12 (which I don't really want to) or take a foundation year in engineering and physics in uni (so basically spending an extra year in uni and I actually don't mind), but the problem with the foundation year is that I'm afraid that the top engineering unis won't have a foundation year and I really don't want to go to an average okay uni. Any advice? (I know I can just choose a bio/chem major but it doesn't really interest me)

Plenty of top universities will have foundation years - so don't worry about that. Any universities you are particularly keen on?
Lots of unis have foundation years, a couple will accept without Physics from what I remember. Sheffield also runs the Pathway to Engineering which allows you to get in without Physics but you have to do a 1 month long course before you start your degree, some other unis might also be offering this now.
uf.. you should study math on your own.
Reply 5
You should be able to get into uni for aerospace Engineering with those subjects, some unis require physics but others don’t, I know when I was applying Sheffield Hallam, uni of Sheffield, and Nottingham only required maths and a science. I got in with Maths, chem and product design.
Reply 6
You have a few options here.

The first is to find an Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering course that will take you with those subjects.

The second option is to retake the year at college/sixth form, another (I assume free?) year of education to do the subjects that will get you straight onto first year on an engineering course. Remember with this, that you will potentially be a year older than all of your classmates.

The third option is this; if you find a uni that you want to do Aero Eng at, but they don't offer a foundation year, you can do a foundation year at a different uni, and transfer after that year, subject to being accepted.

The fourth year is to choose a uni that does Aero Eng, offers a foundation year, and stay there for the duration of your undergraduate studies. This is what I did, although my reason for doing foundation was not quite achieving the required grades. I found that foundation year was a really good way to gently settle into university life without too much pressure - the work isn't trivial, but it isn't too challenging, and that allows you to enjoy your free time more, go out, make friends etc, before the pressure of first year hits.

Having done it, I highly recommend a foundation year (I'm at Swansea, great for engineering), purely because it lets you settle into a new environment without too much pressure.
Reply 7
Also, you don't need further maths, you get taught up to the required level from somewhere around AS-A2 level in first year
Does the Foundation year include access to Uni accomodation and student finance?
Reply 9
Original post by Gary peck
Does the Foundation year include access to Uni accomodation and student finance?

yes

Latest