The Student Room Group

Driving Lessons... do i go Automatic or Manual?

Sooo, firstly, I am 20 years old and have never driven a car.

I took driving lessons when I was 17 but due to Anxiety and mental health issues I stopped them and have only just started wanting to learn again.

When i was learning to drive my main problem was the gears and learning how to use the clutch. I was thinking to get rid of that problem i would start to learn in an automatic car rather than a manual again.

Wanted to know people's experiences with automatics and if it's worth it...???

Thankyou :biggrin:
I would re-start again in a manual car and only change to automatic if you're really struggling. Only passing in an automatic will limit you with car choices and could also end up being more costly. Most people find the clutch and gears difficult at the start so you're not alone.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'd say stick with the manual. You'll probably get the hang of it pretty quickly, most people do. it's just a matter of being gentle. Like bones-mccoy said, you'll be really limited if you've got an auto-only license.
Reply 3
(Original post by bones-mccoy)I would re-start again in a manual car and only change to automatic if you're really struggling. Only passing in an automatic will limit you with car choices and could also end up being more costly. Most people find the clutch and gears difficult at the start so you're not alone.

hiya, thankyou for the reply. i really apprectiate it. My Anxiety was over the clutch and gear changes and i must've had easily over 50 lessons in a manual and really never got the hang of it. it was my boyfriend that gave me the idea of trying to drive in an automatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending