The Student Room Group

Why is Crossfit worse than Lifting?

Ive looked up both and Crossfit seems to have more real world application because you do more functional things. Why do people say to just do Olympic lifts or w/e they are instead? Why is Crossfit apparently bad?
CrossFit isn't bad it's just not as good imo. If you want to train for functionality do strength training and a mixture of HIIT and LISS cardio. CrossFit has a bad reputation due to the use of poor form on certain exercises, such as kipping pull ups.
I think because crossfit uses a lot of compound/olympic lifts, but puts a pressure of time on you as well your form seems to drop significantly. things like a clean and press, deadlifts, squats etc. can be potentially damaging if you dont do them correctly and when put in a race scenario i think people tend to focus on doing them quickly instead of properly. That's why i think it has a particularly bad reputation.
Reply 3
As already mentioned, it's mostly due to the bad form they use, which is usually because they do circuits of things like pullups and heavy deadlifts, after they've already done 200 jumps with a rope, trying to beat a time rather than focusing on quality reps. Crossfit style of training isn't necessarily bad if you use good form and to be honest, crossfit athletes usually look in great shape. I can see why this style of training might be appealing to some people, but if your goal is to make optimal strength / size gains in the safest way possible, so you can keep lifting for a long time, crossfit isn't it. The risk of injury is just too much consdering the reward is not higher.

Quick Reply

Latest