The Student Room Group

Does Imperial care about your GCSEs????

I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm studying Mathematics, Physics and Fine Art. I want to apply to imperial for mechanical engineering but I'm really worried that my GCSE grades are going to stop me from being accepted.
My GCSE Grades-
Art-9
French-9
English Lit-8
English Lang-7
History-7
Physics-7
Chemistry-7
Biology-7
RE-7
Mathematics-6

Not saying these are bad grades, bit if i'm wanted to apple to a univeristy like Imperial College London, then theyre going to have to be amazing. The 6 in maths is stressing me out especially as mechanical engineering is a very mathsy couse so they might focus on that a lot? (A 6 is equivalent to a B and I'm really pissed off as i'm really good in the subject but I dont know what the hell happened in the exams) I was having some family and mental health problems GCSE time but I know that universities dont care about that and it's not an excuse since many people have also gone through that.

I know A-Levels are a lot more important and Im predicted all A*s in the subjects I'm doing, including maths.Keeping all of the grades in mind and doing an EPQ later in the year and having an excellent personal statement, doing a ton of relevant work experience and being really engaged in the area i want to study, do you think I would have a good chance?
It would help me a ton if you could share your honest opinion as i feel like I'm stressing WAY too much haha :smile:
Yeah you're fine. You're showing a clear improvement from GCSE to A-level which is what they will be more concerned about!
Reply 2
To answer the question in the title, most definitely. I am not going to lie. That grade 6 may stick out like a sore thumb to the Imperial admissions tutors. Your A-level performance is more important though, so try to put this in the past and positively move on to ensure that you don't have any other hindrances on your application.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest