The Student Room Group

‘Friend’ wants to look at my university essay

Hi, someone on my course has asked to look at my essay as they said they can’t do it, and stupidly I said yes.

Obviously I don’t want to risk getting into trouble with the uni due to plagiarism, but the ‘friend’ did say they wouldn’t copy, If I gave it to them I know I’d still be paranoid which is something I don’t need.

However, I don’t have other friends on my course, he’s close to a few dominant students, and I chill with them between lectures. So I’m worried if I don’t share they’ll either bully me in a passive way, or just start avoiding me, making me feel isolated.

I also have no clue how to say I don’t want to let them see it, because it will suggest i don’t trust them, and seem unfriendly, particularly as I’ll be going back on my word
Just keep saying no it’s not done yet or if there’s anything there stuck on
Don’t give it
Never give your uni essays out lol.. your friend will pass it onto their friend and then their friend etc etc. Before you know it the whole year will have it. Not to mention you could get in trouble for plagiarising if someone copies.

You could say you lied and haven’t finished it yet, or that the file got corrupt, you deleted it by accident, you still have changes to make, decided to edit some parts, you could send them it but make sure it won’t open?
If the deadline is close, then you could keep on delaying it by saying yes, then forgetting about it, then when they ask you again, say "oh yeah, I forgot. I'll do it as soon as I get home", then again something like "I'm out right now, but I'll do it when I get home" and also things like you can't find where you placed it or that it was on your other laptop or something and so on...
Once the deadline is really close, like 10 mins away, pretend you are trying really hard to find it, and "find it" in the last 5 minutes, and submit it.
Reply 4
next time this person asks to see your paper, tell him you don't have it on you but ask what he's struggling with and offer suggestions. maybe talking about the essay will give him enough ideas and he won't need to see your paper?

also, get new friends. you shouldn't have to worry someone would bully you over this. they're not your friends if that's the case.
Original post by Joleee
next time this person asks to see your paper, tell him you don't have it on you but ask what he's struggling with and offer suggestions. maybe talking about the essay will give him enough ideas and he won't need to see your paper?

also, get new friends. you shouldn't have to worry someone would bully you over this. they're not your friends if that's the case.

This. Life is way too short to have friends like that. Better to have no friends than ones you have to walk on eggshells around.

As other posters have said, just stall if you don't want to outright tell them no, or ask if you can help them with what they've done so far. If they decline your help and continue insisting on seeing your essay, that's pretty much a dead giveaway that they want to plagiarise.
Reply 6
Original post by Joleee

They know I’ve definitely done it, and passed. I don’t see a way out
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
This. Life is way too short to have friends like that. Better to have no friends than ones you have to walk on eggshells around.

As other posters have said, just stall if you don't want to outright tell them no, or ask if you can help them with what they've done so far. If they decline your help and continue insisting on seeing your essay, that's pretty much a dead giveaway that they want to plagiarise.

Ok I just messaged them saying I’d rather help than give them the essay. They replied saying ‘that’s no problem, thanks anyway’. Now my question is how do I make it not be really awkward around them? 😩
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I just messaged them saying I’d rather help than give them the essay. They replied saying ‘that’s no problem, thanks anyway’. Now my question is how do I make it not be really awkward around them? 😩

Just act like there's nothing to be awkward about. They didn't react badly, so you probably have nothing to worry about anyway. It's only going to be as awkward as you build it up to be in your head.
Lazy sods will steal from it.

Me and me m8s would show each other essays, mind. Gives another perspective. Was no twocing involved.
You could be kicked off your course for collusion so it's not something to mess with and tbh it sounds like you don't really trust them not to cheat. It's not worth the risk imo. Either keep putting them off or tell you your mate has told you some horror story about someone accidentally writing something too similar and they both got kicked out so you can't risk it - but you're happy to give them some tips or suggest something to read etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending