The Student Room Group

Can you get into Cambridge for Maths without an offer?

So I am a year 13 studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I intend to do Maths at university and applied to Oxford, Warwick and a few AAA universities. However, I made a few fatal errors on the MAT test, so I was not given an Oxford offer.

So I have been practicing STEP questions (As my Warwick offer could depend on it) and I am actually not finding it too bad, I even did a timed mock of 2017 STEP 3 paper and found my self relatively capable of working through the questions and managed to get a mid grade 2.

So I was wondering, if I were to get A*A*A* (which I need for Warwick anyway) and then get grade 1s or Ss on STEP 2 and 3. Would contacting Cambridge be worth it. Someone from my school didn't even apply to Cambridge or even to do Maths, but he got full marks on his Maths and Further Maths A level and offered him a place.

*Just wanna make it clear that I in no way assume I will make those grades, this is all hypothetical.... unless things go really well in the summer :biggrin:
Original post by DuffmanCrush
So I am a year 13 studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I intend to do Maths at university and applied to Oxford, Warwick and a few AAA universities. However, I made a few fatal errors on the MAT test, so I was not given an Oxford offer.

So I have been practicing STEP questions (As my Warwick offer could depend on it) and I am actually not finding it too bad, I even did a timed mock of 2017 STEP 3 paper and found my self relatively capable of working through the questions and managed to get a mid grade 2.

So I was wondering, if I were to get A*A*A* (which I need for Warwick anyway) and then get grade 1s or Ss on STEP 2 and 3. Would contacting Cambridge be worth it. Someone from my school didn't even apply to Cambridge or even to do Maths, but he got full marks on his Maths and Further Maths A level and offered him a place.

*Just wanna make it clear that I in no way assume I will make those grades, this is all hypothetical.... unless things go really well in the summer :biggrin:

No, Cambridge would not countenance such an approach. However, there is always next year if you change your mind about Warwick or if you fail to meet your offer there.
Reply 2

When I applied for uni (2017 entry) there was the possibility of something similar happening. On results day Cambridge college let our school know that they had spare places, and if anyone was interested in going there but didn't apply first time round, they could come for an interview with the possibility of an offer. I don't know if they've done it before this or are likely to do it again, but it is similar to what you'd like.

Alternatively, you may consider taking a gap year and applying again with results if you want to go to Cambridge. But you still risk not getting in, and you would need to reject your existing offers.
Someone from my school didn't even apply to Cambridge or even to do Maths, but he got full marks on his Maths and Further Maths A level and offered him a place.

Sorry this isn't true whatever you've been told - Cambridge wouldn't even know about the candidate if they did not apply there - fake news.
Reply 4
Given that the number of acceptances is usually about half the number of offers given, it's entirely possible for there to be some space left if the STEP paper was particularly hard.
That said, that involves getting at least a 1,1 in STEP on a hard year.
Reply 5
Original post by trythis
When I applied for uni (2017 entry) there was the possibility of something similar happening. On results day Cambridge college let our school know that they had spare places, and if anyone was interested in going there but didn't apply first time round, they could come for an interview with the possibility of an offer. I don't know if they've done it before this or are likely to do it again, but it is similar to what you'd like.

No, this didn't happen. It's absolutely not a thing.

Original post by Sinnoh
Given that the number of acceptances is usually about half the number of offers given, it's entirely possible for there to be some space left if the STEP paper was particularly hard.
That said, that involves getting at least a 1,1 in STEP on a hard year.

No, they can and do allow people with near misses to take up their place. And there's the summer pool too.

There will be no "places left over".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury

No, they can and do allow people with near misses to take up their place. And there's the summer pool too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright :yy: , I found it weird but this was just my attempt at rationalising what *apparently* happened

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all fairness, this did happen a while ago (6-8 years), but I have been told by teachers of multiple cases where Cambridge have contacted someone on results day due to exceptional results such as full marks across the board (could have been exaggerating for story telling purposes though).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
In all fairness, this did happen a while ago (6-8 years), but I have been told by teachers of multiple cases where Cambridge have contacted someone on results day due to exceptional results. I don't mean A*A*A* good, I mean like full marks good.

Nope. How would Cambridge even know? They don't get a list of the top A-levellers fron UCAS and start cold calling them. They also have a "no poaching" policy so they don't poach good applicants from other universities.

It simply doesn't happen.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by trythis

Alternatively, you may consider taking a gap year and applying again with results if you want to go to Cambridge. But you still risk not getting in, and you would need to reject your existing offers.

I am actually really pleased with Warwick, it's a fantastic Uni, especially for Maths, but would prefer Oxbridge, it would only be in the hypothetical situation that I mentioned in the post that i would change to Oxbridge. Or if they could guarantee an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If someone were to get A*A*A* and grade S or 1 in STEP 2 and 3, would that be a high likeliness of an offer, or would the reapplication not take into account your A level results at all?
Reply 11
If someone were to get A*A*A* and grade S or 1 in STEP 2 and 3, would that be a high likeliness of an offer, or would the reapplication not take into account your A level results at all?

Well A*A*A* exceeds the typical offer, as does S,1 so such a reapplicant would of course be very competitive.
Well A*A*A* exceeds the typical offer, as does S,1 so such a reapplicant would of course be very competitive.

Alright thanks, I feel like I'm bombarding you with questions, but one final question, if you already sat your A levels, already had your results, then applied. Would that be on an unconditional, ask you to sit A levels and STEP again, or ask you to sit only STEP again.
Reply 13
Or if they could guarantee an offer.

Oxbridge will not "guarantee" an offer to a reapplicant. You would still have the interview, admissions assessment/test, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Alright thanks, I feel like I'm bombarding you with questions, but one final question, if you already sat your A levels, already had your results, then applied. Would that be on an unconditional, ask you to sit A levels and STEP again, or ask you to sit only STEP again.

It can depend. I know someone who applied with S,S,S and their offer required another S. They achieved it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can depend. I know someone who applied with S,S,S and their offer required another S. They achieved it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks, sounds tough. This has helped a lot. It was just a bit of a grey area for me and wanted to know my chances if I did ace my exams this summer (after failing at Oxford first time around).
(edited 5 years ago)
In all fairness, this did happen a while ago (6-8 years), but I have been told by teachers of multiple cases where Cambridge have contacted someone on results day due to exceptional results such as full marks across the board (could have been exaggerating for story telling purposes though).

Just to add support to what Doonesbury is saying, this absolutely does not happen. It's either people misunderstanding situations, or it's people plain making up stories.

Every University knows to about 3 decimal places, what the uptake of offers is to offers made. They have years and years of experience. They also get A level results days before they are released to students. There is never, ever a case where Cambridge have to, or are allowed to by their internal rules, go to a candidate who hasn't been made an offer and give them a place. Does. Not. Happen.
Reply 17
Original post by threeportdrift
It's either people misunderstanding situations, or it's people plain making up stories

Yes, probably a lot of the former.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending