The Student Room Group

Is AS Physics worth it?

I am in year 12 right now doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I am considering doing AS Physics in year 13 because I feel like it might be beneficial for me as I am hoping to study Maths at university. However, I am not the biggest fan of Physics (but in my Maths A Level I do some physics through the mechanics content, in which I kind of struggled at the start but find it ok now and I got a 7 in in physics in GCSE). So, is it worth taking in year 13? If I kind of skim through the AS content in the summer holidays, would I be able to get ahead by even a bit? Or will it be too stressful? Any advice from A Level physics student or teacher will be appreciated. Or simply anyone.
Thanks
Reply 1
Probably better to just concentrate on the other three subjects to get the highest grades possible. But you could do it just out of interest or curiosity if your feeling confident in the other three subjects and wont add any more pressure to you
Reply 2
Original post by Svesh
Probably better to just concentrate on the other three subjects to get the highest grades possible. But you could do it just out of interest or curiosity if your feeling confident in the other three subjects and wont add any more pressure to you

Ok...probably have to think about it a bit more. What subjects do you take if you're in sixth form?
Reply 3
Original post by silv_23
Ok...probably have to think about it a bit more. What subjects do you take if you're in sixth form?

Maths, Further maths and Physics. Dropped biology last year
Reply 4
Original post by Svesh
Maths, Further maths and Physics. Dropped biology last year

Oh ok. So how much of Maths is there in AS Physics and how hard is it for someone who's average at it? Sorry for the constant questions.
Reply 5
Original post by silv_23
Oh ok. So how much of Maths is there in AS Physics and how hard is it for someone who's average at it? Sorry for the constant questions.

No worries if you do maths and further maths it should be pretty straight forward. Its mostly learning the theory then applying it to a mathematical question
Reply 6
Original post by Svesh
No worries if you do maths and further maths it should be pretty straight forward. Its mostly learning the theory then applying it to a mathematical question

Ah ok. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest