The Student Room Group

Things from your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Anybody notice that we girls are talking about Sindy dolls and Ladybird books and you guys are talking about floppy discs and de-coder thingys? Somebody call the gender police! :eek:

Except that back in the day women were at the forefront of CompSci... Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper

and
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
* Cars with trafficators
* red driving licences [cardboard cover]
* a newly employed teacher could afford a house
* no post-exams remarks
* 240d to the £
Got it in one.
Whereas for me, it was Babycham in those cool little glasses with the glace cherry and the little green swordy things..
And in the 80s, green genie cocktails and as many vodka and limes as I could get my hands on..

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)

Chicken in a basket.

A glass of orange juice as a starter in a restaurant.
Of course, that's great! Let's hear it for the girls! :cyber: (From a big feminist)
Original post by Doones
Except that back in the day women were at the forefront of CompSci... Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper

and
Attachment not found
Deleted
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
I’ve deleted. If you want to take the quote out

Thanks. I'll tidy up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The massive craze for Sunny Delight in the late 1990s.

My primary school banned Sunny Delight then sent out letters to parents warning them how unhealthy it is with more sugar than Coca Cola, laden with chemicals, and contains next to no fruit juice. The letter also mentioned how it was estimated that it was a very cheap drink to produce with an enormous profit margin on each bottle.
Original post by Muttley79

* a newly employed teacher could afford a house

But if she was female only if her father would stand guarantor for the mortgage.
But if she was female only if her father would stand guarantor for the mortgage.

That was illegal from 1975.
goosebumps books, probably. blockbusters too.
Original post by Muttley79
That was illegal from 1975.

But not when there were 240d to the £ as you posted
But not when there were 240d to the £ as you posted

Why did you assume I was referring to a particular year? None of the other posts do ..
Blockbuster.
Glue sniffing. I believe it was less popular amongst teenagers in the 1990s than it was in the 70s and 80s when it really was mainstream, but it is almost completely dead nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few men over 50 years old sniff glue because they tend to participate in hobbys that use glue such as model making.
Original post by Arran90
Glue sniffing. I believe it was less popular amongst teenagers in the 1990s than it was in the 70s and 80s when it really was mainstream, but it is almost completely dead nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few men over 50 years old sniff glue because they tend to participate in hobbys that use glue such as model making.

This has replaced that.
One of my ex boyfriends used to get quite excited about Tippex...
Original post by Arran90

One of my ex boyfriends used to get quite excited about Tippex...

What did you brush it on to?
21 pages. What have you found that would baffle young people?
Things from my Childhood that would baffle young kids of today?

well after the documentary Leaving Neverland .. a game with michael jackson "saving" dozens of kidnapped kids without no hanky panky taking place seems rather absurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N68qvYFpTA

although at certain parts things can arguably be made to look a bit dodgy...

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Decahedron
Limewire.

Quick Reply

Latest