The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on these options for A-levels?

I'm picking my options for A-levels soon and I wanted to know your opinion on these options;

- Music
- Biology
- Mathematics
- Welsh Baccalaureate (compulsory)

Would it be a good idea to include more essay-based subjects?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I think this is a really good and mixed combination!! Maths and biology both show that you can solve problems and think logically and apply your knowledge, and music shows that at the same time, you're also very creative and multi-talented. As for whether they're the right combination for you, you just need to ask yourself whether you're prepared to dedicate a lot of time and effort into them and whether you're going to enjoy what you'll be learning.

Biology has an essay question, at least for AQA. But I don't take any essay based subjects and so long as you don't want to study something like history or english at uni, it shouldn't hinder you in any way :smile:
Drop music for a facilitating subject
Original post by theminke123
I'm picking my options for A-levels soon and I wanted to know your opinion on these options;

- Music
- Biology
- Mathematics

What you need to do is get a combination that works for you.
Do subjects you can get good grades in and enjoy. Better grades usually get you into better unis.
Do subjects that meet the course requirements of the degree you are interested in.
What is it you want to do? If your selection meets both the above requirements then you are golden. If it does not , then change it.

- Music
- Biology
- Mathematics

IMO, there are two things to consider:
1. Are they what you enjoy most?
2. Do they enable any career plans that you have?

Don't underestimate the importance of doing what you love.

- Music
- Biology
- Mathematics

That seems a great combination of subjects. There are essay questions in Music and Biology.

As you know, there will be a great deal of essay writing in Welsh Bacc, too, including the extended project which is very much akin to an English EPQ. Most unis will take a Welsh Bacc instead of an A-level if you want to apply for a degree course.

Which instruments do you play? You will need, ideally, to get up to Grade 7 standard by the end of A2 to get the best practical marks for Music.

The great thing about Biology is that you will have put 40% of the subject content to bed in your AS exams. This will take some of the pressure off the exams at the end of Year 13.

Maths is very similar in content to that set by the English boards, and you would be able to resit the AS modules alongside A2 if you needed to improve your marks.

Pob hwyl.

- Music
- Biology
- Mathematics

That seems a great combination of subjects. There are essay questions in Music and Biology.

As you know, there will be a great deal of essay writing in Welsh Bacc, too, including the extended project which is very much akin to an English EPQ. Most unis will take a Welsh Bacc instead of an A-level if you want to apply for a degree course.

Which instruments do you play? You will need, ideally, to get up to Grade 7 standard by the end of A2 to get the best practical marks for Music.

The great thing about Biology is that you will have put 40% of the subject content to bed in your AS exams. This will take some of the pressure off the exams at the end of Year 13.

Maths is very similar in content to that set by the English boards, and you would be able to resit the AS modules alongside A2 if you needed to improve your marks.

Pob hwyl.

Original post by Miss Maddie
Drop music for a facilitating subject

No, if you check out the Russell Group's Informed Choices booklet for A-level choice, they explicitly state, "If you have talent in music and want to study it at university it is important that you take Music to advanced level (along with performance grades)." The same goes for Art.

If everybody limited themselves to the facilitating subjects, then only A-levels Biol, Chem, Phys, Maths, History, Geography, English Lit a language would be offered. There's a lot more to life than that choice, and besides he already has 2 facilitating subjects. Let him do Music.

Quick Reply

Latest