The Student Room Group

Didn’t get the job but I’m suspicious?

I had an interview for Holland and Barrett yesterday at 3pm and lasted for half an hour. I was quite nervous beforehand but once I got there the woman seemed really nice and I thought the interview went okay.

She told me that recruitment isn’t decided by the managers in the store but by people in Head Office, so she would have to send my details and it’d take 2 weeks for them to get back to me.

I’ve just checked my emails today and seen that I received an email at 3:53 yesterday (just 23 minutes after the interview had ended) saying I didn’t get the job. Now I feel like she’d already decided I wasn’t getting it, ushered me out of the door and put my paperwork in the bin.

Do you think she was lying or...? I feel so defeated and disappointed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by eva_chatelier
I had an interview for Holland and Barrett yesterday at 3pm and lasted for half an hour. I was quite nervous beforehand but once I got there the woman seemed really nice and I thought the interview went okay.

She told me that recruitment isn’t decided by the managers in the store but by people in Head Office, so she would have to send my details and it’d take 2 weeks for them to get back to me.

I’ve just checked my emails today and seen that I received an email at 3:53 yesterday (just 23 minutes after the interview had ended) saying I didn’t get the job. Now I feel like she’d already decided I wasn’t getting it, ushered me out of the door and put my paperwork in the bin.

These things happen. Maybe you were overqualified. I would turn the negative into a positive and ask why you were unsuitable - don't be confrontational, but any feedback is always useful
Reply 2
Original post by eva_chatelier

I’ve just checked my emails today and seen that I received an email at 3:53 saying I didn’t get the job. Now I feel like she’d already decided I wasn’t getting it, ushered me out of the door and put my paperwork in the bin.

I think the best way to look at this and also what some would consider to be a 'harsh' one would be, get over it. There are plenty of jobs, if one decides no, then it's a no, there's nothing you can do, unless you feel you have discriminated against. Look at it more positively, the more interviews you have the more experience and confidence you are gaining, this might help you be more successful in the future, don't be defeated and disappointed, 'failures' are our learning points in life, without them, it would be hard to work on ourselves.
yes I think she was lying....don't take it to heart, people get rejected from jobs for all sorts of reasons- as said above, quals, too young, too old, too dark, anything!
Think of it as an experience- the next interview may not seem so nerve-racking !
Good luck!
Original post by zafreenfarooque
yes I think she was lying....don't take it to heart, people get rejected from jobs for all sorts of reasons- as said above, quals, too young, too old, too dark, anything!
Think of it as an experience- the next interview may not seem so nerve-racking !
Good luck!

I agree.
Ive had the same once where i had an interview, then the next morning i had a letter though the post saying i wasnt successful. It had come in the post that quick that they must have been started typing it the minute i left the room.
It wouldnt hurt to email for some feedback. It will help to better yourself for next time.
Probably lying just as a nice way of letting you down, but either way the person in charge of the decision decided you weren't right for the job. Leave it at that.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Ive had the same once where i had an interview, then the next morning i had a letter though the post saying i wasnt successful. It had come in the post that quick that they must have been started typing it the minute i left the room.
It wouldnt hurt to email for some feedback. It will help to better yourself for next time.

I know of somebody who got home from an interview to find the letter saying he was unsuccessful waiting for him - it had come in the post that morning before he had even met his interviewers!!!
Original post by Ridgerunner
I know of somebody who got home from an interview to find the letter saying he was unsuccessful waiting for him - it had come in the post that morning before he had even met his interviewers!!!

Really?
Id have kicked off if that happened to me.
Original post by Emma:-)
Really?
Id have kicked off if that happened to me.

I think his take on it was more that it was a lucky escape. I would have been furious though!
Original post by Ridgerunner
I think his take on it was more that it was a lucky escape. I would have been furious though!

So would i. If it was me, there would definitely be a strongly worded email going their way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending