The Student Room Group

Should I travel to another city just for hospital work experience?its expensive..

So i want to apply for medicine & so far i have 3 work experience placements confirmed. One in my hometown and another very close to my hometown.
I've just recieved news that i have been accepted into a hospital placement at Warwickshire which is a 2-3 hour journey from home , (Nottingham) for 3 days in the Cardiology Department . The train tickets as well as booking a hotel to stay at for 3 days(2 nights), the estimate costs are £150 total.
Is this worth it just for a work experience?
i have read that its all about the quality of work experiences not quantity- so what do you guys think?

also my parents arent that rich...
Original post by ja833
So i want to apply for medicine & so far i have 3 work experience placements confirmed. One in my hometown and another very close to my hometown.
I've just recieved news that i have been accepted into a hospital placement at Warwickshire which is a 2-3 hour journey from home , (Nottingham) for 3 days in the Cardiology Department . The train tickets as well as booking a hotel to stay at for 3 days(2 nights), the estimate costs are £150 total.
Is this worth it just for a work experience?
i have read that its all about the quality of work experiences not quantity- so what do you guys think?

also my parents arent that rich...

If you cant take it up then why apply in the first place?
Can you get a job in the summer to pay off?
What about B&B? Any cheaper?
Coach journey?

Considering the quality of the experience then I would go as it stands out a bit and you can use it to discuss in an interview plus it shows determination.

If you cant afford it then try for something closer to home. See what @nexttime think.
Reply 2
I suggest if you can then look for some work experience within your local area/ city if there isn't anything available then look for something in nearby cities and it's not all about the quality or quantity; it's about the skills u acquire from doing the work experience and how you can then transfer and use these in the future (plus the longer the work experience is the more skills and knowledge u are likely to learn and gain). As for the financial aspect aim to keep spending on a low if possible and I guess u can make up again in the future by getting a good job with a good salary so spending a little money now is okay. hope I helped in some way :smile:
What are your other two experiences?
Where are they? Are they hospital based?
My work experience was based in one ward in a hospital and then talked about volunteering. It is quality over quantity. If you think you'll have enough to talk about from your other two then why go to a third
Train?! Hotel??!!

What happened to the Megabus and hostel/AirBnB.
Reply 5
What are your two more local placements? If they're also in hospital then I wouldn't bother with another.
Reply 6
One placement in Digestive Diseases & Thoriacs and another at KIDS & NTS in Birmingham, which involves tranferring children who are critically ill to different hospitals as well as observing phone call conversations for further medical advice
Original post by Helenia
What are your two more local placements? If they're also in hospital then I wouldn't bother with another.
Reply 7
Original post by AzureCeleste
What are your other two experiences?
Where are they? Are they hospital based?
My work experience was based in one ward in a hospital and then talked about volunteering. It is quality over quantity. If you think you'll have enough to talk about from your other two then why go to a third

One placement in Digestive Diseases & Thoriacs and another at KIDS & NTS in Birmingham, which involves tranferring children who are critically ill to different hospitals as well as observing phone call conversations for further medical advice
Original post by ja833

Seem hospital based then. I don't think the third one is necessary
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
If you cant take it up then why apply in the first place?
Can you get a job in the summer to pay off?
What about B&B? Any cheaper?
Coach journey?

Considering the quality of the experience then I would go as it stands out a bit and you can use it to discuss in an interview plus it shows determination.

If you cant afford it then try for something closer to home. See what @ecolier @nexttime think.

Cool thanks. I've decided to go by coach definitely as it'll save me a lot of money.
i cant get a job in the summer as no body is accepting me currently.i might try to find a weekend job somewhere..
Also more importantly, in the summer i'm going to be doing a Nuffield STEM project for 35 hours per week as well as prepare for the UCAT so a job would really drain me in the summer.
B&B is slightly cheaper only by a couple of quids

Thank you for the response btw
Reply 10
Original post by Nx23
I suggest if you can then look for some work experience within your local area/ city if there isn't anything available then look for something in nearby cities and it's not all about the quality or quantity; it's about the skills u acquire from doing the work experience and how you can then transfer and use these in the future (plus the longer the work experience is the more skills and knowledge u are likely to learn and gain). As for the financial aspect aim to keep spending on a low if possible and I guess u can make up again in the future by getting a good job with a good salary so spending a little money now is okay. hope I helped in some way :smile:

Yes you did help.:h: Thank you
Original post by ja833

Well, honestly, unless you're desperate to see cardiology, I would think those two placements will give you plenty to talk about in your PS and would politely decline the third one and save some money!
Original post by ja833
Cool thanks. I've decided to go by coach definitely as it'll save me a lot of money.
i cant get a job in the summer as no body is accepting me currently.i might try to find a weekend job somewhere..
Also more importantly, in the summer i'm going to be doing a Nuffield STEM project for 35 hours per week as well as prepare for the UCAT so a job would really drain me in the summer.
B&B is slightly cheaper only by a couple of quids

Thank you for the response btw

Im glad youve made a decision and got it sorted.
If you want any info on the subject of weekend job, give me a shout. Its definitely worth looking into, and will give you money to help pay for stuff like the work experience.
Thanks. I wouldnt have quote the full context, but am sure to be considering it then I would have had to have a good reason to apply in the first place, would have tried your options and then would do a pros and cons analysis. With the time it takes to arrange these things, then I would already have factored in the expense and probably gone if it made sense to do so. Troule is with some fo the placements they are competitive, so in the right situation it might be more sensible to just get on with it and pay it back later with a job in the summer. See what happens.
Original post by ja833

KIDS / NTS is extremely niche experience for a school student! (I know their service very well). What sorts of things have they said that you can do with them, out of interest? I've never seen school students with them. They're a great team and I'm sure it'll give you some things to reflect on. Remember that this is very far removed from the average doctor's day, even within paediatrics. It would definitely be worth getting some more general experience as well if you can, not necessarily for your application, but for YOU, to get a better understanding of the more usual day to day work as well.
Reply 15
Original post by junior.doctor
KIDS / NTS is extremely niche experience for a school student! (I know their service very well). What sorts of things have they said that you can do with them, out of interest? I've never seen school students with them. They're a great team and I'm sure it'll give you some things to reflect on. Remember that this is very far removed from the average doctor's day, even within paediatrics. It would definitely be worth getting some more general experience as well if you can, not necessarily for your application, but for YOU, to get a better understanding of the more usual day to day work as well.

They said....
Transferring a sick patient from a local hospital, this may involve stabilisation
Taking a baby to a hospital closer to their home
Bringing a child into a more appropriate hospital that can provide the level of care they need
Taking part in a state of the art call conferencing operations system (although they told me i would only be observing/listening to calls between staff & patient)
Utilising training opportunities

Thank you for your response.
I'm pleased to say that I have just had another work experience confirmed today at a Surgery Ward in Nottingham!:gthumb: WOOT!WOOT!
That means, i currently have 4 work experiences. :grouphugs:
1)Digestive Diseases & Thoriacs (Nottingham)
2)KIDS & NTS, (Birmingham)
3) A Surgery ward (Nottingham)
4)Cardiology ward (Warwickshire)
Reply 16
Original post by Emma:-)
Im glad youve made a decision and got it sorted.
If you want any info on the subject of weekend job, give me a shout. Its definitely worth looking into, and will give you money to help pay for stuff like the work experience.

Hey Emma, thank you very much for your response.
And yes please, may i please have further advice on weekend jobs? I just cant seem to find any...:bawling:
Reply 17
Yeah, I've decided to go. I know i don't have to as i have 3 work experiences elsewhere but a cardiology ward seems like a very valuable learning experience for myself. I guess I'll pay it all of once i get a job

Thank you for your advice everyone! :smile:
Original post by ja833
Hey Emma, thank you very much for your response.
And yes please, may i please have further advice on weekend jobs? I just cant seem to find any...:bawling:

The most common places that students get jobs are places like shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, restaurants cafes, tourist attractions etc.
Quite a few of these places have weekend vacancies from time to time. Look on websites such as indeed.com for jobs in your area. Also look on companies own websites, as some companies- such as mcdonalds, tesco, sainsbury etc etc have their vacancies on their website and some places require you to apply online.
Also keep an eye out for adverts in shop windows.
Mcdonalds is a good place to look. They take on a lot of students. They are very flexible. You give them your availability (e.g. weekends) and they give you shifts according to your availability. Theres the option of extra shifts and booking holidays or doing less hours round exam times. You can also transfer to a store near uni while at uni, and work back at your home store over christmas/in the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending