The Student Room Group

Stuck on choosing uni: Edinburgh or Dundee?

I received all my offers a while back, ive narrowed it down between Dundee for Biomedical Science (2nd year) and Edinburgh for Medical Science (option of 1st/2nd year).

I do like the look of Edinburghs course, it's very flexible with electives etc however I've heard that feedback at Edinburgh is basically non existent. I've also heard that they're not very receptive of college students, and when I visited they told me they would advise against 2nd year entry because I'm from college purely because the structure is so different and level of dependence on our Teaching staff would make it harder. I understand that I'm only in 3 days a week but we usually have non stop assesments/lab reports and it's all very independent, we don't get chased up and told off for late submissions etc because they expect us to submit things when we should. I did notice that he didn't say the same for those coming straight from school with advanced highers or A levels, even though I would say in school you are spoon fed a lot more but instead they were very encouraging of them choosing to do advanced entry to 2nd year? I'm just confused as to why that is. It's also a big reason why I'm a bit uneasy about going to Edinburgh if I can only go into 1st year. I'm going to be 21 so I feel all the 1st years Willbe so young when I start but at the same time I'm worried I won't fit in and everyone will already be so friendly with each other if I go into 2nd year.

Dundee coursewise is alright, they are much more supportive of college students and offered me the same conditions for 2nd year as Edinburgh did, but they were keen for me to choose 2nd year. The uni also just seems more receptive? Nicer? Idk how to explain it, it's all one big campus though and it's quite small, whereas Edinburgh is dispersed through the city. I live in Glasgow so ability to easily travel home is a factor, and Dundee seems to be far and travel is obviously more expensive to get to and from where as Edinburgh I can literally grab any train anytime.

Any input would be super helpful! I know that these 2 unis are the ones I see myself at I just don't know what to put as my firm and insurance! I really just wanna hear other people's opinions!
I would think the cost of an extra year at uni is going to be significantly more than the increased cost of travel from Dundee to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh to Dundee. I would guess that Dundee also has a lower cost of living. Time spent traveling is obviously a factor, but once you are at uni, you'll probably not be going home that much outside of holidays. Personally, I would try to avoid making a decision based around ease of travel home- don't ignore it as a factor, but don't let it be the deciding one.

From your post it sounds like you got a much better vibe from Dundee, and that there would be a lot of positives about going to Dundee. Do you think you would be happy at Edinburgh if you were able to enter into second year?

I'd also consider the opportunities for work experience etc in both cities- I imagine these might be higher in Edinburgh?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I would think the cost of an extra year at uni is going to be significantly more than the increased cost of travel from Dundee to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh to Dundee. I would guess that Dundee also has a lower cost of living. Time spent traveling is obviously a factor, but once you are at uni, you'll probably not be going home that much outside of holidays. Personally, I would try to avoid making a decision based around ease of travel home- don't ignore it as a factor, but don't let it be the deciding one.

From your post it sounds like you got a much better vibe from Dundee, and that there would be a lot of positives about going to Dundee. Do you think you would be happy at Edinburgh if you were able to enter into second year?

I'd also consider the opportunities for work experience etc in both cities- I imagine these might be higher in Edinburgh?

I guess because I'm SAAS funded the extra year of tuition wouldn't be to much of a hassle, but it's the extra year of maintenance costs that will probably be a problem. Edinburgh has really good industry and networking links. I guess I can still enter 2nd year against their recommendations it's just the thought that they think I'd need some adjusting period and so I'm thinking maybe I'm better off going into 1st year at either uni as I'm scared I'd struggle. They just didn't explain the process of 2nd year entry very well, all I know is that they estimate about 10 people going in. But at the same time I just want uni over with and I'm also aware that I'll be one of the oldest in either cohort so I don't know how I feel about that.

I guess with travel I thought because Edinburgh is so close to Glasgow and if Edinburgh is limited with work experience/internships etc I could always commute to and from Glasgow because they'll have more opportunities?
Original post by mediclyfe
I guess because I'm SAAS funded the extra year of tuition wouldn't be to much of a hassle, but it's the extra year of maintenance costs that will probably be a problem. Edinburgh has really good industry and networking links. I guess I can still enter 2nd year against their recommendations it's just the thought that they think I'd need some adjusting period and so I'm thinking maybe I'm better off going into 1st year at either uni as I'm scared I'd struggle. They just didn't explain the process of 2nd year entry very well, all I know is that they estimate about 10 people going in. But at the same time I just want uni over with and I'm also aware that I'll be one of the oldest in either cohort so I don't know how I feel about that.

I guess with travel I thought because Edinburgh is so close to Glasgow and if Edinburgh is limited with work experience/internships etc I could always commute to and from Glasgow because they'll have more opportunities?

I agree I wouldn't worry about the extra year of tuition, but the extra year of paying for living expenses will be costly.

If Dundee are happy to support you going into second year, then that seems like a good option.

Depending on the nature of work experience, you might be able to do some in the holidays in Glasgow either way?

BTW I started the first year of my degree when I was 20, and it honestly wasn't an issue. You won't be the only one at your age and age matter a lot less at uni.

The most important thing is making the decision that's right for you.

Could you try making a pros/cons list for each option?
It's a difficult one. Dundee would be on my list of most underrated unis in the UK. it has a really strong biosciences department (lots of world-leading research) and one of the best medical schools in the country. that said, i would still probably go with Edinburgh on the basis that its poor student satisfaction MAY be the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2 but it's unlikely to be so, you will just have to navigate your way around it and work a bit harder etc.
Original post by mediclyfe
I received all my offers a while back, ive narrowed it down between Dundee for Biomedical Science (2nd year) and Edinburgh for Medical Science (option of 1st/2nd year).

I do like the look of Edinburghs course, it's very flexible with electives etc however I've heard that feedback at Edinburgh is basically non existent. I've also heard that they're not very receptive of college students, and when I visited they told me they would advise against 2nd year entry because I'm from college purely because the structure is so different and level of dependence on our Teaching staff would make it harder. I understand that I'm only in 3 days a week but we usually have non stop assesments/lab reports and it's all very independent, we don't get chased up and told off for late submissions etc because they expect us to submit things when we should. I did notice that he didn't say the same for those coming straight from school with advanced highers or A levels, even though I would say in school you are spoon fed a lot more but instead they were very encouraging of them choosing to do advanced entry to 2nd year? I'm just confused as to why that is. It's also a big reason why I'm a bit uneasy about going to Edinburgh if I can only go into 1st year. I'm going to be 21 so I feel all the 1st years Willbe so young when I start but at the same time I'm worried I won't fit in and everyone will already be so friendly with each other if I go into 2nd year.

Dundee coursewise is alright, they are much more supportive of college students and offered me the same conditions for 2nd year as Edinburgh did, but they were keen for me to choose 2nd year. The uni also just seems more receptive? Nicer? Idk how to explain it, it's all one big campus though and it's quite small, whereas Edinburgh is dispersed through the city. I live in Glasgow so ability to easily travel home is a factor, and Dundee seems to be far and travel is obviously more expensive to get to and from where as Edinburgh I can literally grab any train anytime.

Any input would be super helpful! I know that these 2 unis are the ones I see myself at I just don't know what to put as my firm and insurance! I really just wanna hear other people's opinions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending