The Student Room Group

Film School or film production apprenticeship?

Hi guys

So I am currently doing a software engineering apprenticeship (level 4) and I am due to finish this August. It's not been a very enjoyable experience and my real passion has really always been filmmaking. I thought I would grow to like this programming interest by doing this apprenticeship but it had the opposite effect.

I wanted to get some of your perspectives on what I should do next. I was thinking about applying to film school or jumping onto another apprenticeship in film production (ITV, BBC, Channel 4). I have read some posts/blogs on film school and found people discouraging the idea.

If you're reading this and have been through either of these paths, I would appreciate any advice/guidance :smile:
ITV/bbc/c4 would cover tv production not film. Although high end tv is a lot closer to film than it was years ago it’s still quite different.

I would suggest that you apply for all options. Getting entry onto a good film production degree isn’t simple. Particularly with an unusual background and after the most competitive courses have closed.
Likewise the tv apprenticeships are highly competitive so there’s no guarantee of a place.

The screen skills website is a great resource to find out more about different routes into the industry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending