The Student Room Group

Bristol, Exeter or Lancaster?

Hi,

I’m really struggling to decide between my 5 unis (I’ve ruled out Warwick and Liverpool) and wondered if anyone could give me some advice?

I loved Bristol as a city and I know it’s probably much more reputable than my other two choices but I’d just much rather be on a campus than a city and I find that a bit off putting. The course looks interesting but heard they’re meant to be a little harsh with grading?

Exeter had an amazing campus and I loved the general atmosphere of it but am concerned it’s not as good as Bristol and it may be a little too quiet when I come from London which is obviously a huge, multicultural city. The style of the course does look interesting though, as does the year abroad placement.

Lancaster surprised me by how much I liked it as it felt like a little student village and I could really see myself studying there. The only issue was that it felt very isolated and perhaps isn’t as reputable as the other two, especially Bristol.

If anyone could help me decide and give any pointers it’d be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m a Bristolian who has firmed Exeter for law so I can try and help you out with this.

Like you’ve said, Bristol is a fantastic city and a vibrant place to be a student plenty to do and some of the scenery where the uni is situated is something to behold. Great law course as well and Bristol is highly reputable; you can’t really go wrong if you choose it. However, as you’d prefer to be on a campus, Bristol is very spread out the Stoke Bishop accommodation say is miles away from the Wills Building and the centre.

Exeter on the other hand is a beautiful campus in a really nice location (hence why I’ve firmed it) it will be quieter than Bristol and less to do but there will be likeminded students there and I doubt you’ll be bored. Again, it’s a reputable university with a very good course and from purely a reputation perspective, there’s not a great deal in choosing between Bristol and Exeter.

I’ve not researched Lancaster a lot if I’m honest but from what I’ve heard it is very isolated like you said, which is something which would put me off hugely. Don’t know if it’s quite as good as the other two either.

I’d narrow it down to Bristol and Exeter and make it dependent on whether you want a city university with a vibrant student life or a more quaint campus and try and base it on that as they’re pretty different.
Reply 2
Original post by Arisapo
I’m a Bristolian who has firmed Exeter for law so I can try and help you out with this.

Like you’ve said, Bristol is a fantastic city and a vibrant place to be a student plenty to do and some of the scenery where the uni is situated is something to behold. Great law course as well and Bristol is highly reputable; you can’t really go wrong if you choose it. However, as you’d prefer to be on a campus, Bristol is very spread out the Stoke Bishop accommodation say is miles away from the Wills Building and the centre.

Exeter on the other hand is a beautiful campus in a really nice location (hence why I’ve firmed it) it will be quieter than Bristol and less to do but there will be likeminded students there and I doubt you’ll be bored. Again, it’s a reputable university with a very good course and from purely a reputation perspective, there’s not a great deal in choosing between Bristol and Exeter.

I’ve not researched Lancaster a lot if I’m honest but from what I’ve heard it is very isolated like you said, which is something which would put me off hugely. Don’t know if it’s quite as good as the other two either.

I’d narrow it down to Bristol and Exeter and make it dependent on whether you want a city university with a vibrant student life or a more quaint campus and try and base it on that as they’re pretty different.

Thank you so much, that’s helpful :smile:

Bristol does seem like such a lovely city and I really liked it when I looked around and it seems much more student friendly than Exeter did if that makes sense?

Exeter seems slightly less well regarded as well though I might be wrong?

Think you’re right about Lancaster though, it does seem kinda out of the way and was too separated from everything else :/
Reply 3
Original post by Amysteph00
Thank you so much, that’s helpful :smile:

Bristol does seem like such a lovely city and I really liked it when I looked around and it seems much more student friendly than Exeter did if that makes sense?

Exeter seems slightly less well regarded as well though I might be wrong?

Think you’re right about Lancaster though, it does seem kinda out of the way and was too separated from everything else :/

I wouldn’t say Exeter is less student friendly; any place where there’s students, you’ll be able to have a great time. Bristol is a vibrant place to be a student though.

Reputation wise, I’d say it’s a negligible difference and I wouldn’t really use it to differentiate they’re both excellent, well regarded unis.

I’ll tag @J-SP (apologies) who seems to have a better idea about reputations and is more informed who may be able to help you more but I don’t feel it’ll really make a difference.
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
You’ll be fine at any of the three. Seems to be very different reasons why you’d go to any of them. Have a think about what is most important to you and make a decision based on that

Thank you :smile: I’m really unsure right now as I loved Lancaster but the isolation was a bit of a turn off and it didn’t seem quite as prestigious as the other two.

They’re very different which is why I’m struggling to decide I think. Don’t know if you have any pointers or suggestions?
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
What’s most important to you?

I’d like somewhere that has good links with commercial firms and will give me the best opportunities in the commercial law sector afterwards. Prestige is pretty important to me.

In terms of student life, I’d rather a campus but still somewhere where there’s things to do and where it wouldn’t feel too isolated (my main issue with Lancaster).
I’d like somewhere that has good links with commercial firms and will give me the best opportunities in the commercial law sector afterwards. Prestige is pretty important to me.

In terms of student life, I’d rather a campus but still somewhere where there’s things to do and where it wouldn’t feel too isolated (my main issue with Lancaster).

Being in a bigger city like Bristol will give you more chances for networking and gaining work experience.

I do think the campus at Lancaster is quite isolated, and whilst it's very nice, I think it would be easy to outgrow it over the course of three years. Lancaster itself is also quite a small city, although there are some cool things to do.

Exeter could be a good compromise between the two extremes?
Reply 7
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Being in a bigger city like Bristol will give you more chances for networking and gaining work experience.

I do think the campus at Lancaster is quite isolated, and whilst it's very nice, I think it would be easy to outgrow it over the course of three years. Lancaster itself is also quite a small city, although there are some cool things to do.

Exeter could be a good compromise between the two extremes?

Thank you, that’s useful :smile:

Exeter could be a good balance you’re right, I’m just worried if from a reputation perspective it’s not as good as Bristol and I’d be making a mistake turning them down?

Or am I overthinking that?
Reply 8

Exeter could be a good balance you’re right, I’m just worried if from a reputation perspective it’s not as good as Bristol and I’d be making a mistake turning them down?

I don’t think there’s a lot in it it’s such a negligible difference that it won’t really impact anything and shouldn’t be influential in your decision.

They’re pretty different if I’m honest being a Bristolian who’s firmed Exeter though I can say there are pros to both, it really just depends what kind of lifestyle you’d like to have.

I don't think Bristol is seen as hugely superior to Exeter, and whilst uni reputation can be important in law, it's not the be all and end all. Getting good grades is important too, and you're most likely to do that in an environment where you feel comfortable and happy.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I don't think Bristol is seen as hugely superior to Exeter, and whilst uni reputation can be important in law, it's not the be all and end all. Getting good grades is important too, and you're most likely to do that in an environment where you feel comfortable and happy.

This is spot on.

While the reputation of your uni does matter for law, when it’s such a minute difference as with Bristol and Exeter, it’s better to go with the place you feel you’d fit in and be more comfortable studying at.

If you’ve any questions about either feel free to PM me.
Bristol as a uni tend to put on lots of careers events putting people in touch with prospective employers. This may give students a bit of an advantage when it comes to getting on vacation schemes etc compared to a uni that isn't able to offer this kind of event. In a larger city, there may also be more opportunities to get involved with pro-bono work etc. whilst studying.
Original post by J-SP
Every time...

Hey Grad Recruitment guy, do you have nothing better to do than to sit on a forum full of students or is this part of your job description? :biggrin:
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998

Did you seriously just link Chambers Secret?

That’s so ridiculously unhelpful.
Original post by Arisapo
Did you seriously just link Chambers Secret?

That’s so ridiculously unhelpful.

Sorry mate aren't you still in school?
Original post by J-SP
Girl not guy....

Have you not got anything better to do than post the same article to support every “argument”?

Such one dimensional thinking....

I always wondered what Grad Rec do with their day
Original post by J-SP
Even if that was the case, they’d still be showing more mental comprehension than you are right now.

What firm are you at? Shoosmiths???
Original post by J-SP
😑 I’m not even at a law firm.

Do tell...
Shoosmiths aren’t the sort of firm who do first year schemes, I’ve encountered the odd 1 or 2 of them at the likes of Linklaters, A&O, Hogan Lovells etc. At the end of the day it is a shite uni obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending