The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
OM, that sounds so nice, visiting in the grounds of the college and revisting memories :biggrin: and sounds good that Oxfords opening their doors as well :smile:

Daughter finished her internship and supervisor was pleased as she figured out a theoretical method to detect tau neutrinos at DUNE, and he said he would give her a good reference for the internships and the PHD which is great, so will help in the application for Oxford after she graduates :smile:
Just got back from Lancaster today. She doesn't move in until later in September but was allowed to move her things into her room. So a trip to drop things off from home into the new place, then a short trip to the storage facility and back to the flat, then a bit of shopping to get some none perishable items and some cleaning products. Its a lovely grade II listed building in a pedestrianised area of the city near the castle.
Going back in two weeks time to drop her off, and then visit the open day with the youngest this time. Hopefully the weather will be as nice as today, it was lovely and warm :smile:

You have been busy, Ghostlady. I remember going to Lancaster last summer, briefly visiting the castle and having a cup of hot chocolate in their cafe. It was pouring with rain, and the rest of the castle was closed off. Glad to hear the weather was kinder to you today.
Sounds like your daughter has done really well with her internship, and a good reference from it will no doubt help her later on with the PHD application. Wishing her well in her 2nd year, and in her new accommodation.
Original post by Crafty Mum
You have been busy, Ghostlady. I remember going to Lancaster last summer, briefly visiting the castle and having a cup of hot chocolate in their cafe. It was pouring with rain, and the rest of the castle was closed off. Glad to hear the weather was kinder to you today.
Sounds like your daughter has done really well with her internship, and a good reference from it will no doubt help her later on with the PHD application. Wishing her well in her 2nd year, and in her new accommodation.

Thanks crafty mum, Ive not had chance to go into the castle yet myself, due to it being closed for covid and renovations, but hope so one day. Thanks, i'm really excited for her. I was a bit nervous for her as she's never lived in a city before, and after seeing the area, they picked very well :smile: Good luck to your daughter starting in October. Hope she gets to do all the things like matriculation, dinners with 'college parents' etc :smile:
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Thanks crafty mum, Ive not had chance to go into the castle yet myself, due to it being closed for covid and renovations, but hope so one day. Thanks, i'm really excited for her. I was a bit nervous for her as she's never lived in a city before, and after seeing the area, they picked very well :smile: Good luck to your daughter starting in October. Hope she gets to do all the things like matriculation, dinners with 'college parents' etc :smile:

I hope to go to a few formals myself. I miss them very much.
Reply 3883
Can anyone recommend a clinic where I can schedule an in person Day 2 Covid test for international arrivals in Oxford? We are from the US and I will be bringing my daughter who will be starting her first year at Oxford in October. I booked us an apartment at Oxford for 2 weeks prior to the start of her Fresher week and we are both fully vaccinated. I tried Boots but I can only get in home tests mailed from them and I am nervous about anything in the mail not arriving on time. I would prefer an in person test. TIA
Original post by Usstudent11
Can anyone recommend a clinic where I can schedule an in person Day 2 Covid test for international arrivals in Oxford? We are from the US and I will be bringing my daughter who will be starting her first year at Oxford in October. I booked us an apartment at Oxford for 2 weeks prior to the start of her Fresher week and we are both fully vaccinated. I tried Boots but I can only get in home tests mailed from them and I am nervous about anything in the mail not arriving on time. I would prefer an in person test. TIA

Hello @Usstudent11,
Congrats to your daughter on successfully gaining a place at Oxford, and to you as proud parent.
My hubby is travelling through London Heathrow this coming week, and has booked his return Day 2 Covid test to be done actually at the airport, somewhere in arrivals at the terminal. This might be simpler to organise upon your arrival into the UK, just an idea.
He’s booked with expresstest.co.uk, hope this might be of help to you.
Reply 3885
Hello @Usstudent11,
Congrats to your daughter on successfully gaining a place at Oxford, and to you as proud parent.
My hubby is travelling through London Heathrow this coming week, and has booked his return Day 2 Covid test to be done actually at the airport, somewhere in arrivals at the terminal. This might be simpler to organise upon your arrival into the UK, just an idea.

Very helpful!
Hello @Usstudent11,

What great info! This is what the Oxford Parents Association is all about... helping each other xx
Very helpful!

Enjoy Oxford and welcome
Very helpful!

Original post by Oxford Mum
What great info! This is what the Oxford Parents Association is all about... helping each other xx

Thank you @Oxford MumGlad to be of help. The support on here has been invaluable to us, along with the support from students and parents on the applicants thread.
We have learnt about all sorts of things, and now about Zero Gravity too which might come in handy for our youngest just starting in year 11. Thank you all for being such a supportive bunch.
Thank you @Oxford MumGlad to be of help. The support on here has been invaluable to us, along with the support from students and parents on the applicants thread.
We have learnt about all sorts of things, and now about Zero Gravity too which might come in handy for our youngest just starting in year 11. Thank you all for being such a supportive bunch.

I have just emailed Zero Gravity 5 minutes ago! May be working on an exciting project with them. Watch this space.
Reply 3890
Enjoy Oxford and welcome

Thank you @Oxford Mum and @Crafty Mum! This group has been a great resource for me. It has made this transition for both me and my daughter seem less daunting.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would say contract over pay as you go. Tesco is cheap but do not know specifically about Catz.
Does anyone have advice on mobile phone carriers that would work at Catz? My understanding is that the concrete there impedes reception. Also, would my daughter be better off getting a pay as you go plan? Again, TIA.

I had this conversation with my family a few days ago, having heard the same as my daughter is also going to Catz. Are you familiar with WhatsApp which enables free calls, video calls, text chat, and sending photos using the wifi? That should enable them to keep in touch whilst in their room/college My daughter has a monthly plan costing £5 with Three Mobile, with different data options available, which you can cancel at any time without incurring any penalties. I’m not sure how good the Three network coverage is in Oxford.
Perhaps others can advise on their experiences, and maybe make some alternative suggestions for us.
I have just emailed Zero Gravity 5 minutes ago! May be working on an exciting project with them. Watch this space.

PRSOM that sounds great OM :smile:

That sounds very intriguing, will do.
Reply 3895
I had this conversation with my family a few days ago, having heard the same as my daughter is also going to Catz. Are you familiar with WhatsApp which enables free calls, video calls, text chat, and sending photos using the wifi? That should enable them to keep in touch whilst in their room/college My daughter has a monthly plan costing £5 with Three Mobile, with different data options available, which you can cancel at any time without incurring any penalties. I’m not sure how good the Three network coverage is in Oxford.
Perhaps others can advise on their experiences, and maybe make some alternative suggestions for us.

My parents use WhatsApp to communicate with family overseas. My daughter was planning on using Messenger for WiFi calls and texts with us. I still would like to get her some cellular coverage with data when she is not making use of the WiFi.
My parents use WhatsApp to communicate with family overseas. My daughter was planning on using Messenger for WiFi calls and texts with us. I still would like to get her some cellular coverage with data when she is not making use of the WiFi.

Agree on the testing at LHR upon arrival. We are coming over in October from the US for our son's Oxford degree ceremony. The testing doesn't have to be done exactly on Day 2, it has to be done on or before then, so we are booking at the site in the Terminal 2 arrivals area to get it out of the way. Have asked our son for a recommendation on where in Oxford to get our test to fly test for the trip home.

On the phone, we used GiffGaff which has different monthly pay as you go options. The nice thing about them is that they will ship you a SIM card to the US so you can pop it in your phone as soon as you land and be up and running straight away. Our son had an Apple phone, so iMessage, Face Time and Skype worked well for us for communicating with him.
Congratulations to you and your son! Please let me know what test recommendation you get for the return flight. I will also need one when I return to the US in mid October. I am planning on helping my daughter move into her college before Freshers Week and then taking the sleeper to Fort William for one week of hiking in the Highlands before popping back to Oxford for a couple of nights to check on daughter and then flying back to the US.

Looks like there is an Express Test location in the Westgate shopping center. Trying to find out if any in-store tests are available at the Boots on Cornmarket.
Reply 3898
Original post by HazeGray
Looks like there is an Express Test location in the Westgate shopping center. Trying to find out if any in-store tests are available at the Boots on Cornmarket.

Nice to know about the Express Test at Westgate. Thanks!
Had a fabulous day out in Oxford yesterday. We visited the Carfax Tower (good general views), Balliol, Sheldonian (fantastic views from the top), New College, Teddy Hall, University, St Catz, Magdalen, and Divinity School in the Old Bodleian. It was very worthwhile and enjoyable, and nice for youngest daughter on her first ever visit to the city. She really liked what she saw, and is looking forward to visiting again soon.
Our eldest was working so couldn’t join us, but is looking forward to looking around and discovering things for herself in the very near future - just under 3 weeks now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending