The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OnAnonAndOn
Merton's is Monday 4th. We were told yesterday we'd be given an a.m. or p.m. slot. I was just wondering if it's a different date for each college...

Yes, each college selects its day independently, but since there are only a few days to choose, they aren't all different!
Original post by SPCMother
It seems as though they're planning for rather more fun this year - my daughter has already got a ticket for a 'different nightclub every night' event organised by her college 😯

That’s more like it!
Original post by OxFossil
Yes, each college selects its day independently, but since there are only a few days to choose, they aren't all different!

What I meant was I'd been wondering if they were all on the same day as Merton :wink: but was really answering @PASP29's question. A friend is going to St Catz and I just asked - apparently they could choose a day between 2 and 5 Oct.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PASP29
We're still waiting to hear the date for our daughter to be 'delivered' - is it likely to be Tuesday 5th October? And when you do hear, will we get a time slot to turn up does anyone know? Does each college do this differently?

New College is Monday 4th October and my daughter has been told to arrive any time between 10 and 4. She heard a few days ago.
Thanks for all the responses - interesting for us that it might be earlier than the 5th then but will have to continue waiting to see!
Original post by Debs25
New College is Monday 4th October and my daughter has been told to arrive any time between 10 and 4. She heard a few days ago.

Most of my friends at other unis moved in on a Saturday... Monday's a strange day to be moving in, isn't it!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SPCMother
It seems as though they're planning for rather more fun this year - my daughter has already got a ticket for a 'different nightclub every night' event organised by her college 😯

Original post by E's Dad
Hopefully any freshers events your daughter missed out on last year, she'll be able to join in on this year.

With the Oxford "parenting system" I'm hoping my daughter will be able to join her college children in some of the freshers events - it is good to hear more events are planned this year. My daughter is looking forward to going back on Sunday - unfortunately we are not able to stay over this time - hopefully we'll be able to pop down for a night half way through the 1st term.

Unfortunately not i'm afraid . This is the message Grizedale college gave out to their 2nd year members:
grizedale.jpg
So her plan is for her to go out this week with her physics friends, and then next week her flat of 8 are going to go to Kanteena and Glow (1 club and a live music venue). They are going to try and get onto the college bar crawl the week after and just tag along during freshers week for that (w/c 4th) and still go to the freshers fair, and then on the 18th of October they are doing Bongos Bingo at the sugarhouse(another club). So not quite the freshers week, but still determined to enjoy herself :smile: .

Its good Oxford have got something planned though, sounds like they have it covered, and with the college parents too, more opportunities to meet new people :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by OnAnonAndOn
Most of my friends at other unis moved in on a Saturday... Monday's a strange day to be moving in, isn't it!

It certainly is! A weekend "moving in" date would have been preferable as then my husband and I wouldn't have had to use annual leave to take our daughter down to Oxford. Dreading it as we will have an "empty nest".
(edited 2 years ago)
I hadn't realised the colleges had different delivery days - Peter's is Sunday 3rd, which is very convenient.

My daughter hasn't been given Parents yet, or any information about her accommodation. It's been interesting how varied the amount and timing of information flow is between each college. She's made a big group of friends all at different colleges studying a variety of subjects, thanks to the online chats. They've been meeting up in London over the summer, so have been able to compare notes! Her boyfriend has his full Fresher's Week timetable and his accommodation from Teddy's, but no Parents!
Original post by Debs25
It certainly is! A weekend "moving in" date would have been preferable as then my husband and I wouldn't have had to use annual leave to take our daughter down to Oxford. Dreading it as we will have an "empty nest".

The eldest last year it was not too bad. First couple of weeks felt a bit strange, but we got used to facetime and the mid term visit. Dropping her off this time around felt much better. Not sure how it will be when the youngest goes in a couple of years time. I think I may have to fill my time up with some cross stitch, zumba or something lol
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
The eldest last year it was not too bad. First couple of weeks felt a bit strange, but we got used to facetime and the mid term visit. Dropping her off this time around felt much better. Not sure how it will be when the youngest goes in a couple of years time. I think I may have to fill my time up with some cross stitch, zumba or something lol

That'll be me in a couple of weeks. I've just retired from teaching so it's a double whammy!! Thank goodness for Facetime.
It is weird to become an empty nester when your only daughter goes to uni - but you get used to it and before you know it (due to short term lengths) they are back.
I am looking forward to her having a more normal year this year (at Cambridge) at least socially. There will certainly be a certain amount of lectures still online and they have already said that exams will be online, which she doesn't like, but there should be more face to face teaching and practicals.
Original post by PASP29
We're still waiting to hear the date for our daughter to be 'delivered' - is it likely to be Tuesday 5th October? And when you do hear, will we get a time slot to turn up does anyone know? Does each college do this differently?

My daughter had an email on Monday from St Catz with choice of Saturday 2nd through to Tuesday 5th, and she selected an hour slot (between 8:00 and 20:00) for the Saturday. Her friend going to Brasenose wasn’t given a choice with date, just told Wednesday 6th, and knows what room she has. She opted to request a smaller room with sink, rather than risk having a larger room but no guarantee of a sink. From what we can glean, Catz randomly allocate rooms and daughter will be given an envelope upon arrival with her room key and other information. The JCR committee have been good at providing various information, and giving them advance notice of themes for upcoming social events which hopefully will be able to go ahead this year.
Crikey the spread of possible dates grows from the 2nd to the 6th now!
I've just joined the student room, although I've been reading messages and threads over my daughter's shoulder! My daughter is joining St Hilda's in October, move in date is 4th October. She found Dobbo's thread so helpful and encouraging. @Oxford Mum she found your posts so supportive.
Original post by LabradorOwner
I've just joined the student room, although I've been reading messages and threads over my daughter's shoulder! My daughter is joining St Hilda's in October, move in date is 4th October. She found Dobbo's thread so helpful and encouraging. @Oxford Mum she found your posts so supportive.

Hi @LabradorOwner

I am so thrilled that both you and your daughter are now using the Student Room! I am so very pleased that Dobbo and I have been able to help your daughter. Dobbo is a friend of my elder son's, so I was lucky enough to meet him recently. Hopefully he will be inviting me to Christchurch soon!

This year, @azby1098 will be doing a Dobbo and taking over the all-important spreadsheet. He has also, like Dobbo, been giving the students advice. I fervently hope that he will be getting an offer in January.

As for St Hilda's, I have visited before, and it's a lovely college. The setting is unbeatable for tranquility. I do have a favourite bench in the gardens, right near to the river, where I can watch the students/tourists punting, and enjoy watching those who nearly fall in. It's a bit like Trinity Hall, Cambridge, in this regard. They have a wall where you can sit and watch all the punting. A pity the other colleges don't have these river views.

Also I believe they now have a newbuild section as well. Here it is in July 2020, so probably finished by now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4gKDo6gIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVGk-1KCSI

Ooh I am so excited for your daughter! I must visit the new extension to St Hilda's sometime, just to have a sneaky look!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi @LabradorOwner

I am so thrilled that both you and your daughter are now using the Student Room! I am so very pleased that Dobbo and I have been able to help your daughter. Dobbo is a friend of my elder son's, so I was lucky enough to meet him recently. Hopefully he will be inviting me to Christchurch soon!

This year, @azby1098 will be doing a Dobbo and taking over the all-important spreadsheet. He has also, like Dobbo, been giving the students advice. I fervently hope that he will be getting an offer in January.

As for St Hilda's, I have visited before, and it's a lovely college. The setting is unbeatable for tranquility. I do have a favourite bench in the gardens, right near to the river, where I can watch the students/tourists punting, and enjoy watching those who nearly fall in. It's a bit like Trinity Hall, Cambridge, in this regard. They have a wall where you can sit and watch all the punting. A pity the other colleges don't have these river views.

Also I believe they now have a newbuild section as well. Here it is in July 2020, so probably finished by now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4gKDo6gIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVGk-1KCSI

Ooh I am so excited for your daughter! I must visit the new extension to St Hilda's sometime, just to have a sneaky look!

I feel a criminal being on the Parent’s thread! But yes, I am hoping to follow in Dobbo’s footsteps :smile:
Nice seeing my daughter really looking forward to going back tomorrow. Unfortunately we're not able to stay over this time and spend more time in/around Oxford. Thankfully, I filled my wife's car up a few days ago as there is apparently no diesel in any of the "local" garages - bonkers!!
Original post by E's Dad
Nice seeing my daughter really looking forward to going back tomorrow. Unfortunately we're not able to stay over this time and spend more time in/around Oxford. Thankfully, I filled my wife's car up a few days ago as there is apparently no diesel in any of the "local" garages - bonkers!!

Hope the move goes well E's Dad :smile:
Original post by azby1098
I feel a criminal being on the Parent’s thread! But yes, I am hoping to follow in Dobbo’s footsteps :smile:

Criminal? You? Never!

we need more heroes like you on TSR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending