The Student Room Group

WJEC Poetry Anthology Predictions English Literature 2019

What themes do you predict for the poetry section for the GCSE 2019 paper? Love and death have already come up, haven't they?

Scroll to see replies

i do english with eduqas/wjec exam board so idk if you forgot to put the eduqas or whatever lol
in 2016, it was 'to autumn'. in 2017, it was 'sonnet 43'. in 2018, it was 'mametz wood'. so the three themes that have already been done are nature, love, and war/death. many of the teachers at my school believe that it might be a power and conflict poem, but, you never know, so i'd still suggest revising like 2 poems from each of the main themes, just in case
Thanks. And I did mean Eduqas - just forgot to put it in.
Also, what other themes are there and could come up, apart from environment, time, loss and power?
Literally any theme and any poem could come up, I wouldn't rely solely on predictions because exam boards can be unpredictable and do nature or love again, for instance. I would just choose a few poems to learn really well that are very flexible and encompass the main themes of love, nature, power & conflict, and war
Original post by Book_Lover28
Thanks. And I did mean Eduqas - just forgot to put it in.
Also, what other themes are there and could come up, apart from environment, time, loss and power?
Reply 4
Our teacher did ‘Sense of Place’ with us recently because that’s apparently a thing. Although the only two poems that would fit into this category are Living Space and London. I hope it’s power however, that would be best case scenario in my opinion
Power really is Hawk Roosting and Ozymandias I think
Reply 6
And london
I agree. power or the theme of loss would be ideal, for there are lots of poems you could use for them.
Original post by JackDM24
Our teacher did ‘Sense of Place’ with us recently because that’s apparently a thing. Although the only two poems that would fit into this category are Living Space and London. I hope it’s power however, that would be best case scenario in my opinion
Reply 8
can they repeat poems?

Original post by baslisk
i do english with eduqas/wjec exam board so idk if you forgot to put the eduqas or whatever lol
in 2016, it was 'to autumn'. in 2017, it was 'sonnet 43'. in 2018, it was 'mametz wood'. so the three themes that have already been done are nature, love, and war/death. many of the teachers at my school believe that it might be a power and conflict poem, but, you never know, so i'd still suggest revising like 2 poems from each of the main themes, just in case
yes I think so, last year it was the anniversary of Mametz Wood in Wales so it was fairly predictable
Original post by _mollyj_
can they repeat poems?
I have this exam tomorrow and I am really stressing rn I don't know what to do... I know how to analyze the poem but its the comparison I struggle with. What if I remember the quotes and they don't really link to the poem we're given pls reply ASAP!
just learn around 3 or 4 quotations on 2 poems in each topic, which results in around 12 to 16 quotations, and then learn some context for them
SAMMEEEE
I’m feeling place thoo
All our teachers are thinking it will be a theme we’ve not seen before like Ozy and time IDKK man
And Macbeth I’m feeling Macduff or kingship /guilt / betrayal
Original post by Nishu3421
I have this exam tomorrow and I am really stressing rn I don't know what to do... I know how to analyze the poem but its the comparison I struggle with. What if I remember the quotes and they don't really link to the poem we're given pls reply ASAP!
Reply 13
My teacher reckons it’s gonna be either afternoons or living space so as baslisk said I wouldn’t rely on predictions
Reply 14
They have to make it accessible for anyone no matter what their target, 1-9 so I reckon they will do nature or power which isn’t helpful because what actually is ozymandias and hawk roosting
Reply 15
Both nature I think
Original post by motox
They have to make it accessible for anyone no matter what their target, 1-9 so I reckon they will do nature or power which isn’t helpful because what actually is ozymandias and hawk roosting
What peoms go under what themes? I have been revising but I want to make sure I got the right poems for the different themes
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Hawk roosting is but ozymandias is place and power
Reply 18
You could use poems for completely unrelated themes just as long as you back up what you say
Original post by Tallia112
What peoms go under what themes? I have been revising but I want to make sure I got the right poems for the different themes
Both power

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending