The Student Room Group

I am completely lost in my education.

I am currently not studying anything, I'm not doing anything, at all, I completed my GCSEs last year at 16, after that I went to a sixth form and dropped out after 1 week, I hated school, I still do, I didn't like my subjects, the environment, anything, I couldn't do it anymore.

Now it's May and I don't know what to do, I've been debating it in my mind since then, should I self study my A-Levels? Do I even know what subjects I want to do? No I don't, Am I even able to self study and do my exams in 2020? Can I even actually self study? Should I just forget A-Levels and do a UAL in an arts course in college, but I hate school, I have other things I need to do which if I go to college I can't do, I'm not free.

I don't know anymore, I probably never did, I'm lost and I cannot get control.

What do I do.
Reply 1
You could self study a level maths fairly easily imo, economics was a little tough for me but anything else I’d see as too risky since most subjects require constant feedback that you can’t give yourself so you’d need a tutor at least.

I would say suck it up and go to school, it’s what you make it. Life doesn’t always go your way, unless you’re being seriously bullied or something along those lines I don’t see why you shouldn’t suck it up and value your future more than your time at school. Plus people change ALOT in 6 form, I became friends with a lot of people I despised for years. Don’t like the environment? Go to a different 6 form. Want a different culture that isn’t like school? Do them at an a level college. Don’t like your subjects? Pick other ones.

Do an arts course in college and don’t expect much to come of your future, if that’s a choice you’re willing to make go for it. It’s a good way to pass time, keep yourself busy and fool yourself into feeling productive but you could do more valuable things in that time. You also don’t sound like the type of person who could push themselves through self studying A-levels, it requires huge dedication, it’s worse than going to school, it’s very time consuming and isolating.

Probably not the sympathy you’re looking for but I was in a similar position and pushing yourself is the only way forward if you want success. I was in an even worse position for GCSEs and had to make things work. From your post I can tell you lack commitment and direction which is common at 16 but you have to do something about it and take control
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 3121
You could self study a level maths fairly easily imo, economics was a little tough for me but anything else I’d see as too risky since most subjects require constant feedback that you can’t give yourself so you’d need a tutor at least.

I would say suck it up and go to school, it’s what you make it. Life doesn’t always go your way, unless you’re being seriously bullied or something along those lines I don’t see why you shouldn’t suck it up and value your future more than your time at school. Plus people change ALOT in 6 form, I became friends with a lot of people I despised for years. Don’t like the environment? Go to a different 6 form. Want a different culture that isn’t like school? Do them at an a level college. Don’t like your subjects? Pick other ones.

Do an arts course in college and don’t expect much to come of your future, if that’s a choice you’re willing to make go for it. It’s a good way to pass time, keep yourself busy and fool yourself into feeling productive but you could do more valuable things in that time. You also don’t sound like the type of person who could push themselves through self studying A-levels, it requires huge dedication, it’s worse than going to school, it’s very time consuming and isolating.

Probably not the sympathy you’re looking for but I was in a similar position and pushing yourself is the only way forward if you want success. I was in an even worse position for GCSEs and had to make things work. From your post I can tell you lack commitment and direction which is common at 16 but you have to do something about it and take control

The arts course is 2 years and would lead to Uni, why is that a waste of time, I don't even know what A-Levels I want to do, I never have, I don't like maths and economics, thank you for your response, I really appreciate it, please continue.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
The arts course is 2 years and would lead to Uni, why is that a waste of time, I don't even know what A-Levels I want to do, I never have, I don't like maths and economics, thank you for your response, I really appreciate it, please continue.

What do you hope to study at university? How will going to university help you in getting to the field you wish to work in? Is it an industry where a degree is necessary, where it boosts salary/position or is it not even needed?

I just think for the amount of effort you put into this art course and the uni you end up in which probably won’t be of great reputation and you’ll be restricted to not so great courses isn’t the best route to take? University and A-levels aren’t ideal or required for everything. You may find it better to get an apprenticeship and level up to a degree level? Or take A-levels then jump straight to working at your degree level

The education system isn’t great for everyone. You have people who will suck up to it and depend on it, you have those who don’t think much of it but know how to use it to an advantage, those who feel they have no other choice and those that just can’t wait to get out of it…

If you can afford a tutor and maintain self discipline then you can self study a levels. Going to any university shouldn’t be a goal, in my opinion (which I think can be justified) universities below a certain reputation and a not so beneficial course just isn’t worth the investment. Just tryna help you make a rational choice with your future in best interest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending