The Student Room Group

The Henley college

Has anyone been to East Yorkshire college
(edited 3 years ago)
I haven't been there as a student but I applied to study A-Levels there (it was my back-up in case I didn't get into my sixth form), so I've been to the interview, etc. Also I know a few people who go there.

What do you want to know?
How easy it to get in, I have my interview soon, are the teachers good and do they actually support u also bit random do u get a planner ?
Also do u remember what they asked you at the interview ?
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I haven't been there as a student but I applied to study A-Levels there (it was my back-up in case I didn't get into my sixth form), so I've been to the interview, etc. Also I know a few people who go there.

How easy is it to get? Are the teachers good and do they actually support you. Also, I have my interview soon what questions did they ask u. Bit random but do they give u a planner ?
(edited 4 years ago)

Also what are the people like there cause I fear it’s a bit chavy?
Original post by Mariabenhamii
How easy is it to get? Are the teachers good and do they actually support you. Also, I have my interview soon what questions did they ask u. Bit random but do they give u a planner ?

I personally found it very easy to get in, but it depends on who you are and what you're grades are like (and what courses you're applying for). I applied to study three science a-levels and possibly EPQ and my grades were mostly 7s at the time with some 6s. I tried halfway through the interview to explain that I expected I'd get higher in the actual GCSEs, but the interviewer was insistent that I easily met the grade requirements already.

About the teachers and planners - that's one question I'm less qualified to answer. I know that it has a reputation for being a good college, and a lot of people do come out with good grades, however I haven't experienced it myself. Remember it is a college though so even if the teachers are amazing, there will be less support than at school/sixth-form because it's much more independent. If you go on the open/induction day, you'll be able to ask about planners there.

I was really stressed for the interview and even did a mock interview with the careers officer at my school. In the end, it was much more relaxed. The woman was lovely. She asked a few questions about why I want to study those subjects (I said because I want to study medicine at uni, etc.), and why Henley. Then you just have to talk about how college is more independent than school, differen't atmosphere, meet more/new people, etc. and I also mentioned the wide range of extra-curricular at Henley. But TBH I don't think they're that strict about letting people in. I think most people get excepted if they have the grades. Just try and seem polite and you should be fine. We made a little bit of small talk and laughed slightly about something, and I think that helped. Then she filled in my offer form and handed it to me, and that was it.
It was actually a really good experience (and that comes from someone with severe social anxiety who hates this sort of thing). I later got a letter about going to an induction day but by that time, I'd been accepted to my sixth form, so I cancelled the place and didn't attend.

Obviously there are different types of people everywhere, including some 'chavs'. However I know a lot of people who went there who were really nice, some nerdy, some 'popular'. Many people go there because sixth forms don't offer their courses. It's not like some other colleges because it is slightly more academic. But then it's not a sixth form so everyone is more independent, mature and...Idk, more 'worldly'. But there are so many more people there than in school that there's a wide range of different types of people and there will always be people you like and those you don't. I'd say the people there are probably better than you'd get in some other places.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but I hope this helped :smile: Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
I personally found it very easy to get in, but it depends on who you are and what you're grades are like (and what courses you're applying for). I applied to study three science a-levels and possibly EPQ and my grades were mostly 7s at the time with some 6s. I tried halfway through the interview to explain that I expected I'd get higher in the actual GCSEs, but the interviewer was insistent that I easily met the grade requirements already.

About the teachers and planners - that's one question I'm less qualified to answer. I know that it has a reputation for being a good college, and a lot of people do come out with good grades, however I haven't experienced it myself. Remember it is a college though so even if the teachers are amazing, there will be less support than at school/sixth-form because it's much more independent. If you go on the open/induction day, you'll be able to ask about planners there.

I was really stressed for the interview and even did a mock interview with the careers officer at my school. In the end, it was much more relaxed. The woman was lovely. She asked a few questions about why I want to study those subjects (I said because I want to study medicine at uni, etc.), and why Henley. Then you just have to talk about how college is more independent than school, differen't atmosphere, meet more/new people, etc. and I also mentioned the wide range of extra-curricular at Henley. But TBH I don't think they're that strict about letting people in. I think most people get excepted if they have the grades. Just try and seem polite and you should be fine. We made a little bit of small talk and laughed slightly about something, and I think that helped. Then she filled in my offer form and handed it to me, and that was it.
It was actually a really good experience (and that comes from someone with severe social anxiety who hates this sort of thing). I later got a letter about going to an induction day but by that time, I'd been accepted to my sixth form, so I cancelled the place and didn't attend.

Obviously there are different types of people everywhere, including some 'chavs'. However I know a lot of people who went there who were really nice, some nerdy, some 'popular'. Many people go there because sixth forms don't offer their courses. It's not like some other colleges because it is slightly more academic. But then it's not a sixth form so everyone is more independent, mature and...Idk, more 'worldly'. But there are so many more people there than in school that there's a wide range of different types of people and there will always be people you like and those you don't. I'd say the people there are probably better than you'd get in some other places.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but I hope this helped :smile: Good luck!

So helpful thank you so much !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending