The Student Room Group

Am i too old for uni?

im 24 now with two young children but thinking of going to university to study criminology and psychology. am I too old and I'm worried I'm to thick but its something I am really interested in and really want to better my life.
Nope, you're not too old! Go for it
Reply 2
I'm 28 finishing off my second year at uni and totally understand your feelings that you may be 'too old' or 'too thick' to go back to university. As long as your interested in the subject you should be fine. Trust me there will be times when you question your ability (i do on a regular basis) but you shouldn't let that hold you back. It will be scary at times but it gets easier as you go. Be brave and if you find you need extra help don't be afraid to ask lecturers, module conveyors or any of the university staff for help, It's part of their job. I haven't regretted my decision so far so if you feel its something you want to do then go for it.
Original post by gemmaxo
im 24 now with two young children but thinking of going to university to study criminology and psychology. am I too old and I'm worried I'm to thick but its something I am really interested in and really want to better my life.

There was a lady last year who was just turning 70 when she finished her degree. There's gazillions of students in their 30s, 40s and beyond. 24 is literally nothing when it comes to 'mature'.
I have a teacher doing a MEng and he's over 40...
mature students are welcomed by all universities
Reply 5
go for it!!! make your kids proud!!:h: (not that they won't be if you choose not to go)
Nope! I'm 24 and I've just finished my first year of LLB Law.

You're never too old!
Go for it - too old doesn't exist!
Original post by gemmaxo

No of course not - there used to be a lady on here - @Seamus123 who was in her 70s when she did her degree. Not been on here a lot recently and I heard she changed her user name.

Not quite sure why you want to do the subjects you have chosen though - no jobs in those areas
Hi @gemmaxo

24 is definitely not to young to start University. If it's what you want to do then go for it!
One of our students at Portsmouth is 90-something.

To get started you should call which ever University or Universities you are interested in and speak to their admissions department. They'll be able to help you in making an application and offer advice for mature students. Or better still attend an Open Day and speak to them in person, and get a good idea of what Criminology and Psychology will entail. Your children will be welcome to attend the Open Day with you too. Don't forget to talk to the finance department, there will be some bursaries and scholarships for mature students with dependencies you might be eligible for.

Hope this helps

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by gemmaxo
Hi @gemmaxox

You've already had fantastic advice which I can only add to as a mature student.

24 is definitely not too old to attend uni, I started my undergraduate a lot older and genuinely loved my time at university.

Attending Open Days for the universities you're interested in is a must and as @University of Portsmouth has said, any university would welcome your children to visit with you. You can talk to academics and current students and enquire about finance and if there are any mature student societies you could join to meet people like yourself. Your age is genuinely not relevant when you go to university, you will make friends of all ages.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and good luck!

Fi :horse:
Reply 11
I agree. You are not old - but even if you were, still go for it!
Reply 12
Reverse your age and you have me. 42 and in my second year of uni. I am not the oldest one there either and there are quite a few of us mature students. I can honestly say the younger students have never made my age an issue. It's been really inclusive and one of the best decisions of my life. I also have kids - a teen and two younger at 6 and 11. Go for it. I would recommend checking out an Access course first if they do it for your interest field. I did and it really prepared me for the full on amount of work that would be expected.
Original post by gemmaxo

the politically correct answer is that you are never too old for uni, and that is true if you are studying something vocational or a subject like engineering or economics. however, criminology & psychology will not improve your career prospects. you will simply be diverting attention away from your kids to (and this is gonna sound rude but) a self-indulgent, pointless pursuit.

consider a vocational course if you are unhappy with your career, but criminology and psychology are mickey mouse subjects tbh
This question pops up all the time and the answer is always no.

I'm 30 and starting uni in September, just do it :smile:
Reply 15
Ha I am mother of 5 children and not even telling my age. I do look young though and I am quiet fit for my age. My only problem is aging eyes lol. Nobody asked me my age at university yet nor made me feel old. Go for it. You will love it.
You are definitely not too old, I started uni (through an access course) when I was a few years older than you and five years on I just got my final degree result! Far and away the best thing I have ever done and I can honestly tell you that it's not that the age difference didn't matter as such, it's like it wasn't even an issue, if that makes sense? No one even asked me my age to be honest, I assume they must know I'm a bit older but it just wasn't a thing. Go for it and good luck.
Reply 17
Definitely not told old! I’m 32 with two children and I’m starting Uni in September x
Reply 18
Original post by A Rolling Stone
the politically correct answer is that you are never too old for uni, and that is true if you are studying something vocational or a subject like engineering or economics. however, criminology & psychology will not improve your career prospects. you will simply be diverting attention away from your kids to (and this is gonna sound rude but) a self-indulgent, pointless pursuit.

consider a vocational course if you are unhappy with your career, but criminology and psychology are mickey mouse subjects tbh

Why is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending